Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Moving

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinking of Moving

Moved to SW Florida in June 2003 from NJ. Talked about moving out of The Garden State so we tested the waters and put our house up for sale in late Fall of 2002. The house sold in less than two weeks and we had to get out quick. Rented and moved into a condo in the same town in NJ so we can plan our move and let the kids finish out their school year. Flew down several times in the spring to find a house and closed on one in Port Charlotte in spring of 2003 and is the one I am living in now. House was a year old and the original owners who retired too early bought a business in Jacksonville and got out quick. During the interim I flew down a few times to go on job interviews, but did not find anything until I made the move. MY wife who is a registered nurse had no problem finding a job and had hospitals offering sign on bonuses until she chose the best offer in the best hospital. Downsized from a center hall colonial at 2800 sq. ft. to the 1750 sq.ft. on a deep water gulf access canal with a pool and only had a $40,000.00 mortgage. Worked two jobs before I found the right one I am in now. Bottom line is that it is a major life event. Take your time, do the research to make the best decisions. Mistakes are expensive and have consequences.

For me Knoxville sounds great. Drove through Nasheville two years ago and thought it was horrible! Has the same humidity as Florida, too crowded, and the highways are packed. I realize my circumstances were different, but we took our time and I am in the house I will be retired in.

PS, get rid of as much stuff as possible before you move. Makes things a lot easier.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

2. Likes pdexta liked this post
    Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post

PS, get rid of as much stuff as possible before you move. Makes things a lot easier.
    ^that's pretty important. I realize it's difficult to do that with children, but if you don't you move into your next home and start to realize how much useless stuff you spent good money to and effort to relocate. Keep the good stuff, stuff you REALLY like, the rest sell or donate for a write-off. We sort of take a the Japanese approach to this when we move; if you're looking at something and you don't have an attachment to it within 10-15 seconds of considering it, let it go. Cheap furniture doesn't move well, so it breaks in transit, or it doesn't fit the new location, etc.

I would strongly look at car registration laws, too. I am not familiar with TN laws, but a '00 Miata running a MS won't pass an OBD2 port plug-test (IIRC). Not to pile on...

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

MM has a spare ECU BTW.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    ^that's pretty important. I realize it's difficult to do that with children, but if you don't you move into your next home and start to realize how much useless stuff you spent good money to and effort to relocate. Keep the good stuff, stuff you REALLY like, the rest sell or donate for a write-off. We sort of take a the Japanese approach to this when we move; if you're looking at something and you don't have an attachment to it within 10-15 seconds of considering it, let it go. Cheap furniture doesn't move well, so it breaks in transit, or it doesn't fit the new location, etc.

I would strongly look at car registration laws, too. I am not familiar with TN laws, but a '00 Miata running a MS won't pass an OBD2 port plug-test (IIRC). Not to pile on...
    When we moved to Florida we knew a lot of our northeastern decor would not fit the Florida lifestyle. It works the same in reverse. We sold a lot of furniture and basically brought our good mattresses to sleep on till we bought new furniture. Even good furniture gets damaged in a move no matter how good you pack. My brother and I loaded a Pods container with my dads good furniture and we bubble wrapped it, used Styrofoam and moving blankets and it was still damaged in transit. Loads shift and it happened to me driving a box truck moving my son back to Florida. Quick stops because of road idiots, debris on highways and bad roads under construction you or a moving company will not miss. My load shifted to the rear and we could not get the rear rolling door to open no matter what we tried. Thought we were going to have the cut the door open at considerable expense until I came up with an idea. Drove the truck down an empty street as fast as I could get it and slammed the brakes. yeah it work, but everything shifted again.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 01-11-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    MM has a spare ECU BTW.
    LOL! My modified turbo'd NA with a standalone ECU and 550 injectors, when I moved to CA...yeah. That was good time. :|

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    LOL! My modified turbo'd NA with a standalone ECU and 550 injectors, when I moved to CA...yeah. That was good time. :|
    Really, you mean you could not pass the CARB requirements?

Post Thanks / Like

We're planning to ditch a lot of stuff before the move. None of our furniture is particularly nice or expensive, so it won't be too tough to sell and buy new/used once we're settled.

I did think about emissions testing. We actually just re-registered our cars for 2 years in Florida, so if nothing else we've got til Nov 2020 before I'd have to deal with registering in Tennessee. If nothing else it postpones having to worry about that a little bit. It's something I'll have to work around for sure, but I don't think it's a deal breaker. It looks like Knox county just does a tailpipe sniffer, so it may not be too hard to get the car to pass.

I've actually considered selling my miata here before we leave too, some extra cash would be nice. I just hate to think how much I'd lose on it if I did sell it. We have 3 cars now and I've got a wife that refuses to drive on the highway, so getting all 3 vehicles up there is going to be a chore anyway. If I do sell it, I've started over with cars several times before. I don't think it'll be too difficult to put something together with emissions testing in mind that I'll still be happy with.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

You can always have a car shipped. See the snowbirds do it all the time. At this time if you give up your toys at this time in your life the chances of replacing them is extremely low until your kid is out of college. TRUST me on this!!

Remember the Carmax commercial where the guys comes home with a nice yellow Corvette and pulls into the driveway with his pregnant wife standing there? She looks at and places her hand on her stomach and gives him the look and his elation turns to the realization his youth is gone forever.

Remember sticker shock transferring titles to Florida for two cars. It was four digits! I am assuming you are not bring the aquarium.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 01-11-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Scott in ten years:

11. Likes minuteman048 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol, hopefully it won't go that direction! I think from that aspect I'll be fine. Our newest car has 223k miles on it, if nothing else a 3rd car is needed for a backup and I can always find a way to justify that backup being a $1000 miata.

And yes, the fish tank will stay here. It does suck though, several of the fish are getting up toward 10 years old now. I'd like to set up another tank once we get there, but I won't be in a huge rush for it.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp