Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Dental Floss

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Dental Floss

Was watching a new episode of Wheeler Dealers where they were working on a Dodge Ram SRT V-10 Super truck. It was black receiving the black out treatment and they were removing the emblems of the body using dental floss. They used it to get underneath it and it broke the adhesive bond. It worked pretty good, so since I have a drawer full of it, a pack of it is going in my tool box.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

2. Likes Pmarcuzzo, Jaysz28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dental Floss

I use braided fishing line. 50 lb test from my saltwater rig. Floss breaks pretty easy. Usually the adhesive stays and solvent will clean it up. I use mineral spirits and sometimes even gas. WD40 works, but not so good. Been removing emblems for truck lettering for years. At least they're just double stick taped on, instead of studs, like old trucks.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh. The "murdered out," all-black look was the shortest fad in automotive history. Nobody wants black everything anymore. It's just plain ugly.

And Joe is right. Fishing line works better than dental floss.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate the all blacked out look especially black wheels. They look like they are perpetually dirty with brake dust. Chrome or aluminum wheels and trim make a good accent.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I just read that Ant married his Flip or Flop girlfriend so I don't think we'll be seeing too much of him when she gets pregnant and starts the divorce next month. Yes, the all-black look was good for five minutes but black wheels to me are the worst. It's like driving around on four spares. It is the exact opposite of Corvette guys lining everything in chrome or Miata guys driving around with style bars and fake caliper covers.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding removing emblems/stickers a pinstripe removal wheel is the best thing ever: https://www.amazon.com/TCP-Global-Ru...al+wheel&psc=1

Pop it in a drill and it just wipes stickers and goo away. It leaves a little residue that you can rinse off and wax gets the rest. I hate pinstripes and I've used mine a ton.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I have that wheel and it works great! Used it on my last truck removing adhesive residue from a molding.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw that on Wheeler Dealers and liked it.

I've had a few too many cars over the recent years and I have always reverted to a heat gun, my fingernails and then wax afterward.