Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vote for scott!

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vote for scott!

What would you possibly know about Greyhounds? And I don’t mean the bus line.

J/k. I know about your two lovable Greyhound hams at home but seriously, what would you argue that justifies Florida Greyhound racing?

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Vote for scott!

As a sport or an industry?

Iíd take a retired racer over a puppy mill dog any day. On a similar note, betting on a racing dogs versus horses or teams of humans playing football, or boxing, MMA?

The shelters I have been affiliated with have been top-notch and were run by former trainers. Did you know vets often ask greyhound owners to have their pets donate blood? The breed has oxygen rich blood far above other breeds. Many other dogs are saved from this.

Retired greys are also used as service dogs for military vets, autistic children, and people suffering other metal issues.

Iíve had 7 dogs in my life, 4 were bird/working dogs, 3 were greys. The greys have been the best of the bunch.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

The sample ballots gave totally inaccurate descriptions. You have to spend a day totally researching them to make the right call. I hate politics!
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

4. Thanks Agent☣Orange thanked for this post
    Likes pdexta, Jaysz28 liked this post
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree about all the benefits retired Greyhounds can offer from blood donation to companionship but you know my concerns predate this initiative.

First, the obvious. You know that betting on unwitting animals versus compensated NFL players, boxers or MMA fighters is an absolutely and completely different thing so no explanation needed.

Personally, I am opposed to animal manipulation such as big-game hunting like shooting elephants with a .50 cal from 100 yards away as much as I am breeding animals for sport like racing or even having a flatter face like Bulldogs or Persian cats which suffer from respiratory problems. Manipulating animals for our vanity or grotesque hunting “pleasure” is horrific and sociopathic to me.

Insofar as your points, I’m sure retired Greys make for perfect service dogs for vets, autistic children and so on but my point isn’t to diminish how valuable they are after their racing careers but to protest how they shouldn’t be racing for our disgusting gambling addiction to begin with, yourself excepted.

Also, notwithstanding my 20 years living up north, I grew up here and I remember the unfortunate, sordid history of racing Greys in Florida so it’s not like I took my position only after a couple TV commercials. I believe we’re both right. Greys are absolutely wonderful companions for affected people and perhaps for science however, there is just no need IMO to exploit them.

Last, after looking at the pictures of yours over the years, especially on their backs, on the couch with their tongues hanging out, I have to wonder if they’re really always that cute or just always that hungover.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    The sample ballots gave totally inaccurate descriptions. You have to spend a day totally researching them to make the right call. I hate politics!
    You got that right. I already regret half my votes. Too late for me. I feel like I’ve been had and I consider myself at least acceptably intelligent. It’s like the first car I bought from a buy-here-pay-here lot at 30 percent interest when I was a teen.

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Greyhounds are bred for sport, and health. Did you know you can actually trace each registered racing greyhound's lineage back over 50 years or more? The perception of the sport is hinged on it's past which is a fair assessment, which was 20 years ago. Can't really say that about many other dogs. If greyhound racing is bad, shouldn't that also be applied to horses? There's more to that bill than ending racing for 'morality' purposes. I would venture the location of the tracks has particular benefits to some, so an easy get by manipulating the public.

8. Thanks Agent☣Orange thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's crazy how consistently close Florida elections are. Governor and Senate seat both decided by less than a percent and it seems like it's been that way since I've been old enough to vote. I guess it's pretty cool to live in a swing state and have so much power over national elections.

I was torn on the greyhound racing. I've never been to a race, so there's no personal investment in it. I hear horror stories about how they're treated, but also know that a healthy dog is going to run faster than an abused or neglected dog. There's an inherent reward for owners/trainers to treat dogs well, not to say that they all do. Then there's the issue of suddenly shutting down racing and having an overwhelming number of dogs needing new homes. It was a tough one for me, I really just want whats best for the dogs.

I voted no on the greyhounds, but wasn't upset to see the yes's win. Same thing with Lee Co's half sent sales tax for education. I voted no, but it's certainly not going to hurt that it passed, especially with a kid going into public school next year.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys hear that? It’s the sound of no more political ads. Ahhhhh, relief.

11. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw this today: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-homeless.html

Thousands of greyhounds are set to be made homeless as Florida prepares to ban the dog racing sport by 2020
    -Florida voters on Tuesday approved Amendment 13 by a whopping 69 per cent
    -Vote means that dog racing will be declared illegal in the state by end of 2020
    -Florida's 11 tracks will be shut down and thousands of dogs will need new homes
    -Animal rights groups are now working to find adoptive families for the dogs
    By Ariel Zilber For Dailymail.com

Published: 00:45 EST, 8 November 2018 | Updated: 00:54 EST, 8 November 2018

Florida voters overwhelmingly approved a measure on the ballot on Tuesday to ban greyhound racing throughout the state by the end of 2020 - though some warn dogs may be left homeless as a result.

Amendment 13, which required 60 per cent support in Tuesday’s voting, unexpectedly received a whopping 69 per cent, easily ensuring passage.

That means that the 11 greyhound racing tracks in Florida will be put out of business within the next two years, according to NBC News.

Now the challenge will be to find new homes for the up to 7,000 greyhound dogs who will be unemployed.

‘We will do everything we can do to make sure that every one of them gets adopted,’ Jim Gartland, the executive director of the National Greyhound Association, told NBC News.

Gartland said that 98 per cent of retired racing dogs are adopted by families while the remaining 2 per cent spend the rest of their days as breeders on farms.

Animal rights groups said that they have been inundated with phone calls from people expressing interest in owning greyhounds.

‘They’re amazing pets, so gentle and sweet,’ said Kate MacFall, the head of the Humane Society Florida.

‘They really are gentle giants.’

But there is also the issue of the thousands of greyhounds that are currently in breeding farms across parts of the South and Midwest.

Commercial dog racing has been banned in 40 states and more race track closures are expected.

That means the greyhounds, especially the newly bred animals that never make it to the track, will need new homes.

‘This will be a burden,’ said Brooke Stumpf, the president of GreyHounds of Eastern Michigan, an organization that facilitates greyhound adoptions.

We're mobilizing now.’

Stumpf said that while her group usually arranges up to 50 adoptions a year, she will now aim for 200 adoptions.

‘We'll do the best we can,’ she said.

Hunter Burns votes on Tuesday in Tallahassee, Florida. Floridians are deeply divided politically, but the measure to ban greyhound racing won overwhelming bi-partisan support +4
    Hunter Burns votes on Tuesday in Tallahassee, Florida. Floridians are deeply divided politically, but the measure to ban greyhound racing won overwhelming bi-partisan support

‘Some of these dogs might end up at shelters and they're not all no-kill. That's the scary part.’

The Florida vote only made the ban go into effect by the end of 2020 so as to allow race track owners to gradually close their businesses.

Currently, Florida is home to 11 of the country’s 17 remaining dog tracks.

The others are in West Virginia, Alabama, Arkansas, Texas, and Iowa.

Even before the vote, dog racing had been on the decline.

In its heyday, the industry generated $1.5billion in wagers, but that was 25 years ago.

Last year, there were just $200million in bets placed on racing dogs.

'This is a crushing blow to this industry,' MacFall said.

'This [vote] shows people care about dogs and people know this (dog racing) is cruel and inhumane.'

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

I can attest these racing dogs are wonderful pets. They are low-energy and easy to care for. They do well in small homes, are great on leash. They are extremely docile and loving, and many of the adults need a little time to get acclimated to homes. They are easy to house-break, and have extremely low dander. A lot of people are surprised when they enter our home because it doesn't smell like "dog". Dog farts sometimes, but yeah. I would be happy to answer questions about the breed if you are considering adopting one.

Our first greyhound was 5 when we adopted her. She came from the tracks in W.VA. Racing name, Fuzzys Puma, we called her Puma:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	3294

She passed at age 14. We adopted our first male a few months later. He was from Texas, raced in FL. He was 3 when we got him from the rescue near Highpoint, NC. We are still in contact with his trainer who lives near Daytona. Racing name, Atascocita Bloke, we named him Rupert:

Name:	IMG_4245.jpg 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	3295

About 2 moths after we adopted Rupert we adopted our second male. He's about 8 month younger than Rupert. He came from Iowa, raced in FL. He was in a foster home in Chapel Hill because he didn't work out with his first adoptive home. He's been a perfect 'yang' to Rupert's 'ying'. Racing name Breathtaking, we call him Bret:

Name:	IMG_3028.jpg 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	3296
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 11-08-2018 at 01:35 PM.

14. Likes Agent☣Orange liked this post