Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Exploding Tire

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Exploding Tire

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...plosion-video/

Here's What Happens When a Damaged Tire Explodes While It's Still on a Car

That fender was later found in a tree, 25 feet in the air. Click on video to see..

This video from a gas station in Maryland is a perfect example of why you need to make sure your tires are in good shape before filling them up. And why you always should use a pressure gauge.
    It shows a man refilling the front right tire of his Ford Focus sedan until it unexpectedly explodes, taking the entire right fender (as well as some sound-deadening material) off of the car and launching it into the air. The man is visibly shaken, clutching his ears from the undoubtedly brutal shockwave caused by the explosion.

I talked to Shawn Elliot, uploader of the video and one of the employees present at the gas station when the incident occurred. He told me the man in the video was trying to refill his tire with air and correct a groove in the sidewall caused by driving with low pressure. That groove couldn't be fixed, no matter how full the tire was, and it depressurized in spectacular fashion. If you've ever seen a video like this before, you'll understand how lucky the man is to walk away without a grievous injury.

The fender was later found in a tree branch approximately 25 feet above the gas station. As you can see from the picture above, it's not in very good shape.
    Elliot said he uploaded this video as a PSA for tire safety. If the person in this video had replaced the grooved tire with a new one instead of trying to refill it, this incident probably would've never happened. Let this be a warning to people driving around on damaged tires: Get them replaced, or something seriously bad can happen.

Last edited by minuteman048; 10-16-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Exploding Tire

I swear, people treat their cars like disposable appliances nowadays. Some people have never even opened their hood much less know what a tire gauge is. Every time I get a new home health aide, I always step outside to check out their car which gives me an idea about how reliable they’ll be to show up for work and general lifestyle. More often than not, their cars drip oil pretty badly so I don’t allow them to park in my driveway.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Right from the get go, the driver didn't recognize that the tire was damaged and need to be replace, continuing to over inflate the tire to remove the grove was only adding to the tires failure. He was very lucky that flying fender didn't take his head off.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

4. Likes pdexta liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

When I lived in the Peoples Republic of New Jersey, service stations reduced their air pressure for the public to 35 psi. I had a 1989 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 FWD with Load Range E tires. I needed a minimum of 65 psi in them and asked them to turn up the pressure so i could inflate my tires to the proper pressure. They refused citing liability and I can see why. A lot of plain dumb ignorance out there. On the flip side, I rushed out to Sears and bought a new heavy duty air compressor. This is about 1992.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's crazy. My first thought was, "This should not happen to a tire as presumably new as that car appears to be" (like 5 years or less, not old and dry rotted). But then I read he was trying to fill it with enough air to make the grove that was cut in the sidewall by driving on it flat go away. What an idiot.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet he pumped 100psi into that compromised tire.

🛠 Tool wench 500+
    Drives
    it like I stole it.
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid." There is a reason for the Darwin Awards.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 10-17-2018 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Wrong comedian reference

Post Thanks / Like

I cringed when that guy stood up over the fender briefly, because if it would have went ka-boom at that moment it would have taken his head off!

I remember back when I was in high school, about a million years ago, I had a job down at the corner gas station to earn cigarette money, I was sitting at the desk inside the station reading a comic book and waiting for a customer to come in, drive over the hose to ring the bell so I could dash out there and pump a dollars worth of gas and wash all his windows and check his oil, when I noticed there was a dude out at the first island putting air in his bicycle tire. One of them skinny tire racin' bikes, from the looks of it from where I was sitting. (This was back when every gas station had an air hose at every island, remember?) Anyway, I get back to my comic book when all of a sudden there was an ear-splitting *ka-boom*!! Like a cannon just went off somewhere real close! I come up from under the desk and that dude is still laying flat on his back, his fancy bicycle also laying on its side in a cloud of dust that was slowly dissipating. It took him a while to get his wits back about him, but I watched as he picked himself up, dusted off, picked up his bike and started pushing it back home. The dude didn't even get 20 feet when all of a sudden, an identical, ear splitting *ka-boom*!, and an identical cloud of dust... yet he somehow managed to stay on his feet this time. He paused briefly, however, to look straight up in the sky, as to ask the almighty, Why me, lord, why me? Then he continued his shameful journey back home... while I had a pretty good laugh about his misfortune.

True story!
    Jerry Layman
    2010 Stormy Blue Mica PRHT

10. Likes kung fu jesus liked this post