Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Brakes

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Brakes

Installed a set of performance brakes from Hawk which included slotted rotors and Hawk HP Plus pads back in 2012 along with stainless steel brake lines. Best set of brakes I ever had on any car I ever owned. Never had an ounce of brake dust and the rotors still look new. Never faded or signs of getting overheated. However, after my MIB trip and 1000 miles of spirited driving not including the trip up there and back, my pads will have to be replaced by next spring. They really got a workout.

What I want to do is get some replacement Hawk HPS pads and reuse the rotors. Would like to get them turned just a hair because that's the old school rule of thumb I learned. Back in the day, you use to take your rotors, drums, and flywheels to the local sole proprietor auto parts store who had a machine shop in the back and they would turn or grind them for you. When was the last time you you saw a local shop like that? Going to try to find a local machine shop before I do this. There use to be a machine shop in Punta Gorda, but they closed down and became a O'Riellys Auto Parts store.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 10-14-2018 at 05:28 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brakes

The oriellys near me cuts rotors. You should check yours.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you are feeling pulsations, I would just rough them up with sand paper, and install the new pads. Save yourself some money and rotor material.
    '93 (Red no more). 15x10, Xida CS, Torsen, Carbotech, Racing Beat, Enthuza, Rotrex C30-74, Precision FMIC, Tial, Skunk2, Haltech, Momo, Hard Dog, LanceSpeed, Blackbird Fabworx, etc.

4. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. If there’s no warpage, don’t turn them. Some places don’t even want to turn slotted rotors. If it’s just glazing, a few minutes with a light sandpaper block and they’re good to go. Err, exactly what Gazornan just said, heh heh.

6. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that's probably what I will do.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

I don't generally cut rotors, unless they have bad hot spots or you can feel them out of true, with the brake pedal. I usually figure two or three sets of pads to a rotor.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

9. Likes minuteman048 liked this post