Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Cops OEM, LS2/3, Toyota or fab9?

Post Thanks / Like

Cops OEM, LS2/3, Toyota or fab9?

Ok, so here I am... as you know last year, I did mentioned that I had the P0300 Random Multiple Misfire code stored, since that day, I've not used the miata, as this year has been tough for me, as I had no time to do things... and looks like this month, I will be more relaxed and will have more time to dedicate to my miata.

So, first thing I am looking to fix is the P0300 Random Multiple Misfire code, I've been looking to buy a new set of 2x OEM ignition coils, but also have been tempted to get the Fab9Tuning Plug & Play Coil-On-Plug Conversion Kit for my model (heard wonderful things from Minuteman), but was debating also in including the LS2 or Toyota COPs too.

What do you think?

OEM - need to get 2x https://www.oscaro.es/bobina-de-ence...%2BygQREnIIhUi - aprox 217,37 USD + free shipping.

Fab9 -https://fab9tuning.com/fab9tuning-plug-play-coil-on-plug-conversion-kit -269 USD + shipping, will start with Non-turbo IK16 setup, as I don't know when I'll boost the miata, in that case I will just need to upgrade the sparks plugs with IK22 or IK24.

I also need to know... once the car gets turbo in, if the fab9 cops will work with my MegaSquirt 2 + VVT controller (still waiting at Fab9 response).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNGBwKr9Eac

LS2 -https://beavismotorsport.com/store/ls2-coil-pack-kit-plug-and-play-mx5-89-05.html -375,00 USD, but would try to locate the parts cheaper...
    LS3 - https://www.flyinmiata.com/big-spark-kit-no-coils.html - 399,00 USD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s-X-MTMrWc&t=33s

Toyota - around 200-250USD

I think the best deal would be to go for with fab9tuning cops, as it would not require alot of work for me... just plug n play and I can use them now with no modification on the engine, and can upgrade later the spark plugs once the engine goes turbo, but looking forward to have a reply first from Customer Service at fab9, to see if the cops will work with my MegaSquirt 2 + VVT controller.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cops OEM, LS2/3, Toyota or fab9?

I have my Fab9 COP's for over 6 years and not a ounce of trouble. Just came back from a 2600 mile road trip where I rode the car really hard in hot weather and they did not skip a beat. Plug and play is a snap! 20 minute install!
    Last edited by minuteman048; 10-02-2018 at 06:55 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

3. Thanks Tristan75 thanked for this post
    Likes Tristan75, Jaysz28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My toyota cops have done great for me. I've run the same set on 4 different miatas over 10 years or so. There is a real nice writeup on miataturbo that walks you through the wiring and tune settings in megasquirt. Wiring them is pretty straightforward and simple.

Price wise you're not going to beat diy toyota cops and performance wise they've handled everything I've been able to throw at them. A set of used cops, some wire, and 4 cop pigtails shouldn't cost you more than $100, if you're up for some DIY.

Toyota COP thread: https://www.miataturbo.net/useful-sa...writeup-12704/
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

5. Thanks Tristan75 thanked for this post
    Likes Tristan75, Jaysz28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks MM & Pdexta...

Using Toyota coil-on-plugs on NBFL vvt engines is that the holes in its valve cover are smaller than those of earlier Miata engines, so use of Toyota cops in a NBFL vvt requires machining the bosses off the valve cover and opening up its plug holes...

Read somewhere that using coils of a 08-09 Honda CBR1000RR motorcycle + Denso p/n 129700-5150 + 4-channel igniter off an Audi A4 will do the job too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

I made my own COPs with a bracket when I ran a MSPnP. It was fine, but it wasn't compatible with the stock ECU on my '92. I have the Fab9 on my NB1 and it is an easy installation. No issues with them, and no wires were modified to make them work with the OE wire harness, so it's all easily reversible.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently help chase down some issues on a car with the Fab9 on a VVT. For that application, they were sloppy/poorly designed, IMO. They just sit on the plugs, and don't even remotely fit the holes in the valve cover.
    '93 (Red no more). 15x10, Xida CS, Torsen, Carbotech, Racing Beat, Enthuza, Rotrex C30-74, Precision FMIC, Tial, Skunk2, Haltech, Momo, Hard Dog, LanceSpeed, Blackbird Fabworx, etc.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

For a 99-00 non VVT they fit like a glove.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Post Thanks / Like

@kung fu jesus - Thanks for your feedback! really appreciated :)

@minuteman - That was also a reason to go for fab9, but... with Gazornan point of view after having checked the product (with VVT engine), it makes me doubt.

@Gazornan - "They just sit on the plugs, and don't even remotely fit the holes in the valve cover" ... This is exactly one of my main concerns, and makes me doubt to proceed with the fab9 purchase.

Yesterday, I was trying to obtain more info regarding reviews on fab9 coils with VVT engines (and didn't find any, just a couple of photos)... but got to know that the fab9 coils part number are from a "Honda CBR1000RR" motorcycle, perhaps I can buy a single coil unit, and see how the fitting goes... and then decide.

I'm very doubtful with this right now:(

Perhaps... the LS2 might be a good option?

https://www.thecarpassionchannel.com/ls-coil-mount

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not very familiar with nb2's, but are the coils a big weakpoint like they were on older cars? Maybe keeping it OEM should be a bigger consideration.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

This is driving me crazy! I was on a website for Miata aftermarket stuff and I saw someone offering a prefab set Toyota COPS for Miatas. Can't remember which site it was on but looking.