Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Season Wheeler Dealers October 3rd (2018) Good news, bad news.

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Season Wheeler Dealers October 3rd (2018) Good news, bad news.

I caught up on some Wheeler Dealers I missed and watched a good episode on a Lotus Elan.

Tonight is going to be good: C5 Corvette Z06. Woohoo!

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Whoa! My knowledge of the C5's, C6's, & C7's is limited. Know about the rear transaxle and torque tube, but holy crap! You have to drop the rear subframe to remove the torque tube to get to the clutch to replace it. Not a user friendly shade tree mechanic car.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, for weight distribution, the transmission is in the the rear but the clutch is in the front so getting to it is as you described. That’s about a $2K (+ parts) job if you have it done at a shop. That’s why when shopping for a used Vette with manual transmission, it’s always best to find one with recent clutch replacement if possible.

It’s not for the meek but it can be done in a home garage with a group like ours on a tech day. Dropping the rear subframe is not impossible because the whole thing is mounted with only a few big bolts. I had to lower mine a couple inches the night before Miatapalooza just to get my new exhaust up and over the axles.

The C5 Corvette is still one of the values for the buck for a sports car though. I think Mike spent too much buying the car, knowing it was going to need a new clutch and harmonic balancer. I think $10K-$12K would have been more appropriate.

In the end, he sold the car for no profit so either he made a mistake buying it as high as he did or they just wanted to do a Corvette for production value.

I chuckled at the end when Mike told the buyer, “Congratulation s! You are now the new owner of a Z 05 or as we say in England, a Zed 06.” Heh heh, there is no such thing as a Z05.

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

The Grand Tour was iffy at best. The challenge tours were good, but it was just the same recycled skits over and over.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I'm disappointed, with this season Mike goes out and buyers late model cars that the owners no longer want to maintain, and Ant does the maintenance work. The spirit of the original Wheeler Dealer of rescueing old cars and restoring them with a small budget and selling them to owners who want that particular car at an affordable price, Mike making a reasonable profit of $200 to $600 dollars, that is what is missing from the WD now that it has moved to the USA. I will still keep watching and hoping for real classic cars to restore.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I thought the C5 Corvette was a good choice. It’s a genuine, all-American, purpose-built, sportscar with a lightweight, fiberglass body and a 400+hp LS1 motor that can be had for the same prices as an NB. Are you kidding me?

Plus, C5s still look damned nice going down the road.