Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first Carolina Reaper

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My first Carolina Reaper

There is a comedic series of interviews around the premise of guests eating hot peppers/wings. Some of them are amusing.

Habanero is the best I can do...speaking of which, birds ate a nice cluster of four habaneros I was going to harvest soon. Bummer.

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

I think my reflux kicked in just watching you eat that.....

I can barely handle eating a green or red pepper.....

Post Thanks / Like

Good man. I want some to do a challenge with my daughters. Lol.

4. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    ✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Your daughters! I think they are too smart to accept your challenge; however if they do, make sure you have plenty of milk or yogurt that's the only thing you can eat or drink to stop that burning fire on your tongue, lips and mouth.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Had some type of hot pepper in some take out Chinese dish once. Took forever to put out the fire.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a few Thai coworkers I often had lunch with. They would both regularly eat items so spicy, that they would have tears streaming down their faces but kept talking through the conversation like nothing was wrong.

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Jokes aside about the burn, there’s a certain sense of well being that comes from eating chilies. I read once that it is similar to a “runner’s high” of endorphin release.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    Jokes aside about the burn, there’s a certain sense of well being that comes from eating chilies. I read once that it is similar to a “runner’s high” of endorphin release.
    I think you have that wrong "endorphin" release from runners high is not what you feel from eating chilies, it's more a kin to orgasmic euphoria as it overwhelms taste buds and the lining of the asparagus as you swallow, then later a masochistic pleasure pain from the acidic hot lava runs.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

10. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

wooowww! love chiliessss/jalapeños (but that one seem to be a tough one).

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Endorphins are a class of neurotransmitters produced by the body and used internally as a pain killer. This class of compounds are similar in their action to opiates, attaching to some of the same receptors in the brain. ... Their release is caused by all pain, including that caused by chillies.
    Endorphins
    University of Bristol. http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/chilli/endorphins.htm

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/capsai...ry?id=15727011
    Ingredient in Hot Peppers Medically Useful, Say Experts

And it's exactly that endorphin rush that makes capsaicin an effective remedy for pain and other medical conditions, researchers say.

"The endorphins work to block the heat. The body produces them in response to the heat, which it senses as pain," said Paul Bosland, co-founder and director of New Mexico State University's Chile Pepper Institute.

"It's used for all kinds of arthritis pain, as well as for neuropathic pain and dermatologic conditions that have a painful itch," said Dr. Ashwin Mehta, director of integrative medicine at the University of Miami's Miller School of Medicine.

Capsaicin is also used by people with the skin disease psoriasis to decrease itching and inflammation, according to the university.

Some research has also suggested that capsaicin can also help with appetite suppression, but there are not yet any solid data to determine what role, if any, the chemical plays in weight loss.

Studies have also suggested that capsaicin may play help kill off prostate cancer cells.

"In test tubes, researchers found a correlation betwen increased cell death and capsaicin," said Mehta.

There have also been studies that found that people who eat a lot of chili peppers have a lower incidence of prostate cancer, Bosland said.

"This doesn't mean hot peppers cure prostate cancer, but it may play a role in preventing it," he said. "It has nothing to do with the heat per se, but they have a lot of carotenoids and flavonoids, which scavenge free radicals in our system, and free radicals are known to cause cancer."

According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, capsaicin, provided it's in an extremely diluted form, can also be used to treat ear infections. Additionally, one study found that the compound may help treat heartburn. More research is needed to examine that relationship further, and studies are also under way to determine its effects on certain cardiovascular conditions.

13. Likes Tristan75, Jaysz28 liked this post