Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The dog days of summer are here. (Summer 2018)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The dog days of summer are here.

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    Halfway through your post I knew you were retired. I just a few years from retirement but I robbed the cradle and am almost 9 years older than my wife. Even if I retired at 70 she still would not be able to collect early social security. I am going to have to come up with a plan to get out of all the "Honey-do" projects that will be on the horizon. Maybe a second light duty career that involves travel. Hmm......will have to start looking.
    Yeah, my wife is 9 years younger than me too. The good news is she can cover me on her insurance so I won't have to buy a supplemental "medigap" policy. I'm kinda getting used to the retirement thing. It's been two and a half years since I went over the wall and don't miss that rat race one teeny bit! The downside is, the old, "As long as you don't have anything else to do today..."
    Jerry Layman
    2010 Stormy Blue Mica PRHT

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    Well, I’ve spent the first week of Dante’s Inferno summer being sick. It’s not flu or cold but my lymph nodes are swollen and hurting but the worst part is constant fatigue. I’m struggling to stay awake during the day and just doing the minimum necessary for sustenance feels like a monumental effort. So nice of my body to wake up fresh at 4 a.m. just so I can be dragging tired at 8 a.m. for the rest of the day.

I forced myself to the store for some meds and food supplies, especially for 4th of July weekend but the lawn is so embarrassing, I don’t want to be seen grilling while the lawn is knee-high. I was just outside while it’s still dark and it was like breathing water but cool and beautiful. For a moment, I was tempted to start on the lawn but I’m not sure how early I should start without pissing off the neighbors. My mower has headlights but 6 a.m. is probably not too neighborly.

In a couple of hours, I’ll be full of Ibuprofen and caffein but too tired to stay awake.
    I dunno how your neighborhood is, but there are a few social media pages for ours. A lot of the owners in mine are elderly, original owners of their homes. A few ask for requests to help them with their yards from time to time, and I'll kick in when I can. Had a few requests since the heat came in. These are pretty large lots around here, and I don't mind helping. A few others help too. I trimmed a few branches a week ago for a nice elderly couple when a t-storm blew through.

There's a page on FB and on Nextdoor for our neighborhood, it turns out.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pmarcuzzo View Post
    Just watched a little comedy sketch where the guys suggest handing your wife a list of things to do - wants know how it works out for you!

If you ever watched the original TV series The Odd Couple, that's how Felix got thrown out of the house.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    I dunno how your neighborhood is, but there are a few social media pages for ours. A lot of the owners in mine are elderly, original owners of their homes. A few ask for requests to help them with their yards from time to time, and I'll kick in when I can. Had a few requests since the heat came in. These are pretty large lots around here, and I don't mind helping. A few others help too. I trimmed a few branches a week ago for a nice elderly couple when a t-storm blew through.
    There's a page on FB and on Nextdoor for our neighborhood, it turns out.
    I’ll have to look into that. I’m not on Facebook because it seems like a new privacy scandal every week but even my home health aide mentioned she sells stuff on Facebook rather than Craigslist which I was surprised to hear. I guess Craiglist is for “old people.” During the hurricane, we really came together as a neighborhood which was good but I don’t even have most neighbor’s phone numbers. I remember growing up, my folks had everyone’s phone numbers, if not to track me down. Nowadays, that doesn’t seem popular anymore.

Nothing in front of me but forest. The neighbors on one side are owners. They take great care of their place, actually a little embarrassing for me since I need to do more cleaning and repairs. We used to coordinate lawn services together to earn a discount but they went their own way and I bought a new riding mower out of frustration. I don’t think I’ll get any sympathy from them, heh heh.

The neighbors on the other side are an early 20-something couple renting the house. Even though they’re both servers at a restaurant, they order food delivery sometimes six nights per week instead of paying a lawn service to tackle their yard. They do have a non-assisted push mower but it chokes and dies every few seconds while the skinny girl (yes, the girl!) tries to mow their yard once a month. I mowed their yard once out of sympathy (and also because it was making our area look run down). While they were grateful, they still don’t stay on top of it. I think one is trying to out wait the other to do it and in the summer, it’s a weekly chore.

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The dog days of summer are here. (Summer 2018)

FWIW, I no longer sell on Craigslist. I sell the majority of my items on FB, too.

Nextdoor is sort of like a forum site, and you can choose how wide of a community you want to reach. I stick pretty much to my own neighborhood than the surrounding ones, but I get city updates regarding public safety, updates from the police chief, etc.

There is water line work going on at the bottom of our neighborhood, so occasionally the water has to be shut off. I usually see one of the neighbors posting when the water is off and when it comes on. Same goes when there is a power outage.

The "news" of the year has been a playful fox that has taken up residence. A lot of people take pictures of him, and note his location. I've seen him a few times when I walk the dogs, but he keeps his distance.

When I had the 949Racing guys staying, I put out a headsup on Nextdoor that their racing rig parked on my lawn would be there and that it was only temporary, just as a courtesy.

It's been a nice way to keep tabs on the neighborhood, and offer some help when I can, without the privacy concerns of FB.

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I just signed up for Nextdoor and it’s pretty sparse but at least there are three other members within rock-throwing distance. I’ve already muted the “credit repair” posts and will see how this goes. I had a chance to invite neighbors.

Well, it’s storming now which means I’m off the hook for mowing the lawn.

7. Likes kung fu jesus liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

White Knights daughter use to cut mine, but I think she is out of the business.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement