Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: differential lash

Post Thanks / Like

Re: differential lash

Finally cracked that damn nut loose. The serrated edges on the nut are just about gone. On the bottom of the ppf the bolt holes is a little elongated. I guess that's from it rocking. I'm probably going to pick up a used ppf and new (used) nuts. While I'm there I'm going to look at a set of Bilsteins they're advertising for $250, all assembled. It depends on what springs are on them.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

2. Likes kung fu jesus liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Morreale View Post
    Finally cracked that damn nut loose. The serrated edges on the nut are just about gone. On the bottom of the ppf the bolt holes is a little elongated. I guess that's from it rocking. I'm probably going to pick up a used ppf and new (used) nuts. While I'm there I'm going to look at a set of Bilsteins they're advertising for $250, all assembled. It depends on what springs are on them.
    Your Koni''s are shot?
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    Your Koni''s are shot?
    Konis not totally shot but real rusty. I think the right rear might be going too.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I got this issue cleared up I have a question. I was reading that the spec racers torque the 2 ppf bolts, in the rear 3 times. Initial install, after settling in then after a track session. I drove the car around town and ran a spirited run up Crewsville yesterday. I'm going to retorque them now. That should be enough, shouldn't it?

Specs say torque is 77-91 lbs. My torque wrench only goes up to 80 ft. lbs. I was running it up to 80 then giving a little bit more, like maybe 1/16th a turn. Does it sound like I've tightened them enough?

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I think so. Next time your are in town we can check with my torque wrench.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Post Thanks / Like

I went to torque the bolts. What a cluster happened next. Something didn't look right. What it wound up to be was I was missing the collar that goes on the front bolt. The shoulder of the bolt drove the sleeve there into the ppf. In order to get the sleeve out the ppf had to come off. It wouldn't because the sleeve was driven into it. Removing the driveshaft gave me enough room to wiggle, pry the ppf off. Ordered the part to fix it. While putting the driveshaft back I dropped a nut. It hit me in the forehead and dissapeared into never never land. Can't find one at hardware store. Going to Naples tomorrow. Hope to score one there. Getting tired of working on my back in the heat.

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe, if it weren’t for bad luck, you wouldn’t have any luck at all.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange;5 7362
    Joe, if it weren’t for bad luck, you wouldn’t have any luck at all.