Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: My June Bug Dash races 6/10/18 - the highs and lows of racing.

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Race My June Bug Dash races 6/10/18 - the highs and lows of racing.

So I went into this race weekend after a great weekend at Daytona in May. I had finally starting turning consistent lap times during a race so I was stocked. So it was time to start making changes to the car. My biggest complaint is that it pushed. A lot. The front camber was max'd out at LF -2.7 and RF -1.7. My street car has more camber.... so I ordered and installed some offset upper control arm bushings from 5xracing.

While I had the front end apart, it was time to upgrade/refresh the shock bushings and bumps tops. When it was all said and done, I ended up with -3.4* of camber in the front, and -2.6 in the back. Set to the front and rear toe to zero, made certain that the sways weren't preloaded (they were previously) and set the ride height at 4.75" frt and 5" rear. The car was also corner weighted to within +/- 1/2 lb. Only thing I didn't do was get some newer tires.....

I participated in the test and tune on friday to get a feel for the car on its new setup. Right out of the box I matched my best time from last July of 1:28. By the end of friday, I got it down to 1:23 but was averaging high 1:24. I was very happy with the car and how much I progressed throughout the day.

Our last session, one of my friends had a few people follow him around the course and I learned a lot just from that. There is a reason he is a top 5 driver but wow what a difference it made knowing that I'm not pushing the car to its limits, just myself. So I gotta push harder.

Saturday came around and I had a 10 min practice and a 15 min qualifier race.

My best practice lap was a 1:24.438

my best lap in the qualifier was a 1:23.717. What makes that special is I did 3 laps in a row of 1:23's. The other laps were one 1:24.426 and 6 1:25's. I was stoked to be starting 17th in a 33 car field.

So here is the first race

I worked my way up to 15th before my going off in turn one when I locked up the brakes..... grrrrrrr. I finished in 17th where I started. The top 5 cars ran in the 1:20.xxx. My best lap though was a 1:22.634! Of the 16 laps, I had 3 of them in the 1:22's and 9 laps in the 1:23's. But watching the video, it was a bit boring. I found out later on that there was a crash on the first lap just behind me, so I had a pretty clean run. I did finish first in my class (SMSE) so I got this little memento

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jAZZYH6eZAZhQ8jbA

My second race wasn't as smooth and I was off my game. We had a lot of issues at the track that caused a few delays like two separate cars buried in tire walls, one person had a heart attack in paddock and another had a seizure in the paddock. Then just before we were to go out, someone backed their rv/cargo trailer combo into a power line knocking out power to the entire paddock and timing/scoring. That almost ended our day until someone offered up a generator for the timing and communications.

I started 19th for the second race and never got into the groove it seems. My best lap was a 1:24 and I plum ran out of talent.

and the aftermath

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uNr1DaAQ3hoqzx336

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1UNP2inmNcmbFDts9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wAum2vTidX5MP9Mb6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6FCPLR4o1UDAVXJU8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HHZSmR4P4ipLziiD9

I still had a great time with my friends that were very supportive. Even my competitors checked to see if I was ok. Great camaraderie there!
    Last edited by Agent☣Orange; 06-14-2018 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Added video tags

2. Thanks Agent☣Orange thanked for this post
    Likes kung fu jesus, Pmarcuzzo liked this post
    ✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My June Bug Dash races 6/10/18 - the highs and lows of racing.

When you say, "I plum ran out of talent" did you loose concentration and control of the car to go off course and hit the guard rail?
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyFace View Post
    When you say, "I plum ran out of talent" did you loose concentration and control of the car to go off course and hit the guard rail?
    Pretty much..... I was told last night that if I had just kept turning the wheel left I probably could have saved it. If you watch closely, I turn the wheel into the slide but not very much. Expensive lesson for sure.

AO, I was fighting the vid tag thing with no real luck. Same with the img takes, but don't believe that Google allows embedding.

5. Thanks Agent☣Orange thanked for this post
    Likes kung fu jesus liked this post
    Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

My June Bug Dash races 6/10/18 - the highs and lows of racing.

Jay, I don't like to e-coach or critique, so please take it for what it's worth because I respect everyone who gets out on the track like you do. I see you shuffle steer, and you are a tall driver by the height of your knees in the cockpit. Do you shuffle steer because you make contact with your legs or is it your preferred method? I watched the clip a number of times, particularly where you track to your left, climb the kerbing and the car steps out. You hands are sort of all over the place and I could see where the car *might* have been caught, but wondered if your hand placement was telling your brain you didn't need any more input?

I shuffle steer too, and I am slowly breaking myself of the habit. When my car oversteers, I have a similar reaction.

I'm 6'. I found spacing the wheel backwards, towards me, about 19-25mm really helped me with not only hand placement, but also fatigue, I'm more relaxed with my arms bent more and I find my inputs are crisper and smoother. My arms were too stretched out and it was creating bunch of small issues. It also helped me refine my footwork too.

If you think I'm way off base or a kook, I totally understand. I hope the repairs go well, you get back out there smoothly! Thanks for sharing the videos!
    Last edited by kung fu jesus; 06-14-2018 at 01:04 PM.

7. Thanks Agent☣Orange, Jaysz28 thanked for this post
    ⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate any and all feedback. I don't know if I am doing something wrong if someone doesn't point it out.

I was taught to shuffle steer as to avoid the chance of crossing your arms and thereby limiting your range of motion. That was during the SCCA drivers school, so someone thought it was a safer way to drive. I can post other vids from the test and tune session on friday where I went off there without spinning, but I was definitely driving a lot slower. I also feel that I was too focused on the guy ahead of me rather than on what I was supposed to be doing.

I am 6'2" and have just got the seat where I like it. Haven't thought much about moving the steering wheel closer to me. I have down two 90 min enduro's and did have some arm fatigue but did not attribute it to the steering wheel placement. It is something to keep in mind.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I too replayed that segment several times at normal speed playing it at 75%, 50% and 25% to see if I could detect at what point the rear wheels began to drift and you attempted to steer out and what I noticed was that you stopped the drift and the car followed a straight line bouncing over the curb onto the grass and you began making steering inputs but then lost complete control and spun around into the guard rail. I know you to be confident sure of your skills so I know you will not let affect you, so the next time you are on the track you will be able to correctly steer out of this same condition. I am glad you are willing to share these videos with us, as I enjoy seeing you enjoying your spec Miata on the track. I only offer my observation from your videos as support and encouragement to your continuing success and enjoyment of racing your Miata on the track.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

10. Thanks Jaysz28 thanked for this post