Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What car would you go on a long road trip with?

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

What car would you go on a long road trip with?

About two years ago when I moved my son out to Spokane Washington we just left Sioux City South Dakota and crossed the Wyoming border on I-90. Any road traffic had disappeared and ahead was a vast open wilderness. Absolutely nothing but wide open spaces. It was about another two hours till sunset and we were wondering if we would even find a town to spend the night in. My rig and my son's Ford Excursion were all that was on the road when I looked into my side view mirror and saw a fast moving spec coming from behind. As it passed it was a C-5 Corvette convertible with a couple maybe in their early 50's waving as they drove to infinity. Wow.........just wow. Wifey beside me said that should be us.....Yeah! Might have to rent Yata's C-6 and take the t-tops off.

Although I'm not a masochist, I would make a trip in my MX-5 alone but if the top and windows have to go up it would be so noisy. Wife say forget it! Not in that car. She liked Mario's NC and drove it so a untouched NC might be in the future....for her.

Had a 1976 Datsun 280Z and that was a nice all around sports/road car. Hatchback for lots of easy access luggage room, performance and fun to drive, but civilized and comfortable with the windows rolled up.

So I'm not talking a 1980's cabin cruiser Cadillac, but something to drive that's fun on the twistys, has the power to open it up on western Interstates, but you can also sit all day in. So what's in your wallet?
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What car would you go on a long road trip with?

I think you already answered your question but this gets my vote:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	914C0690-C168-4E01-A056-07150DDE16B2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	2774

BTW, C6s don’t have a T-top but a whole removable roof panel.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to reserve it please.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

4. Likes Agent☣Orange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll jump on the line for a corvette too.

The idea of a highway without people is something I don't think I've ever experienced. It sounds amazing.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860, E85
    2004 G35 Sedan ♦ 6sp, Uprev Osiris

6. Likes Agent☣Orange liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdexta View Post
    I'll jump on the line for a corvette too.

The idea of a highway without people is something I don't think I've ever experienced. It sounds amazing.
    Last year we took a different route home to see new states and scenery so we took I-25 from where it starts in northeastern Wyoming off I-90 and runs all the down to I-10 in Arizona. Emptiest Interstate I ever saw until we got to Colorado. The only exits were for private ranches off the interstate. Make it a bucket list item. Got to experience it.

8. Likes pdexta liked this post
    ✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I may to told you guys that I made 5 nonstop trips from San Francisco to Charleston WV The most comfortable was the 914 Porsche it was a little more stable at 100 MPH than the 280Z which got a little nose light from 100-120 MPH, making it feel like you were loosing front wheel contact with the road. I liked the fighter pilot feel of the car looking out at the long nose. Today, I would enjoy driving a Ford GT, a Porsche 906 Carrara or when it is introduced a Mid-engine Corvette. Just like MM, I would like the feel of a balance car with HP for the long Interstate HYWYs and stable suspension to enjoy windy twisty roads. I would also want a form fitting (to my body) drivers seat.
    Last edited by SmileyFace; 05-16-2018 at 03:30 PM.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes a comfortable form fitting seat.

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the Porsche 914 as a classic car but the idea of driving it cross country would be just as appealing to me as skating all that way on country roads on steel roller skates. This reminds me of the "GT" discussion we had before.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    I love the Porsche 914 as a classic car but the idea of driving it cross country would be just as appealing to me as skating all that way on country roads on steel roller skates. This reminds me of the "GT" discussion we had before.
    I also drove the Lotus Europa across the US, and the seats were part of the body they were non adjustable, with deep foam padding which made them very comfortable to sit in them. You had to adjust the pedals if you were long legged, or taller than 5'10". I choose the 914 over the Europe for comfort, because the seats were adjustable and you could adjust the rake to give you the best view and back support for long trips. Don't forget Brenda and would drive non stop so we change drivers every 4 hours or when we stopped for gas.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I have ridden in and driven a 914 back in the 70's. If I remember correctly, there is no seat adjustment and you are pretty much sitting flat on the floor. Must of been some pretty good pain killers back then. Additionally, I saw them do a Lotus Europa on Overhaulin and saw them trying to sell one on Pawn Stars. None of the guys would fit in it! The MX-5 is a luxury car compared to those.