Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Which car should I get?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Honda Fit

1 16.67%
  • Mazda3

2 33.33%
  • Ford Focus

0 0%
  • Ford Fiesta

1 16.67%
  • Kia Forte

0 0%
  • C7 Corvette ZR-1 with ZTK Track Pack

2 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which car should I get?

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Which car should I get?

I'm looking into getting out of my current 2016 Honda Civic and getting into a smaller hatchback so I'm wondering which you guys would pick out of the list below. The prospective car must be a 2016 or newer in order to attain favorable financing:

Honda Fit

Mazda3

Ford Fusion

Ford Fiesta

Kia Forte

Any others I might have missed? I am not looking into any kind of high-performance hatch, just an appliance that is economical, has a warranty, is reliable and gets great mileage. No, not looking for an ND Miata since I have to haul a wheelchair everywhere and not looking for an SUV/crossover because I need a very low point of entry. While I love the Mazda3 hatch, it is so hard to find one economically that isn't high mileage which the banks shy away from.

Please vote in the poll.

Focus
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-Ford-Focus-hatchback.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	2765

Fit

Name:	2015-Honda-Fit-rear-front-three-quarter.jpg 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	2766

Versa

Name:	2015-nissan-versa-note-sr-hatchback-side-view.jpg 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	2767

Forte

Name:	2017-Kia-Forte-Coupe-Hatchback-LX-4dr-Hatchback-Photo-9.png.jpg 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	2768

Mazda3

Name:	2017-Mazda-Mazda3-Coupe-Hatchback-Sport-4dr-Hatchback-Photo.png.jpg 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	2769

Fiesta

Name:	ford-fiesta-st-005.jpg 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	2770

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which car should I get?

Between when my Ford F-150 got totaled and when I got my F-250, I was using my MX-5 to get around. However when I needed to haul stuff and had to rent a vehicle to bring and retrieve stuff from Orlando when my daughter was still in college. We rented a Nissan Versa 4 dr hatchback which was great! It had a squared off back which gave you tremendous cargo room with the rear seats folded down, it was big enough to haul a 1960's console color TV! It was comfortable, got over 30 mpg and did 80+ mph on I-75/I-4 with ease. It is very similar to the Honda Fit and I know a guy at work who loves his Honda Fit.

Kia and Hyundai are owned by the same company and what I would like to say about them is they are extremely reliable. My wife has a 2014 Hyundai Accent purchased new with 105,000 miles on it and all we had to do with it was replace oil, filters and tires. It still has the original brakes!

Mazda is in the top 10 of most reliable brands. You got research homework to do.

What car would I get? A 1962 Corvette on a C7 chassis. Seen it done and it is awesome.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 05-14-2018 at 06:17 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

In all the threads I've ever seen, this is most certainly the first, "Hey guys I've got a Honda Civic and I want to sell it to get something economical, reliable, that gets good gas mileage" thread. Buying new(ish) cars in an effort to save money seems like a terrible financial plan to me.

If the plan is to save money:
    Plan 1: Ditch a "daily driver" completely and drive your Corvette
    Plan 2: Ditch your corvette and ride out your current civic
    Plan 3: Ditch your current civic and get a 2001-2005 civic for $2000 and 40mpg goodness.

Since you're not going to do those. I am really infatuated, but not very knowledgeable, on the 1 liter ecoboost Fiestas. They seem like really cool cars. I don't know how the C7 ZR1 got on the list, but I voted for that.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860, E85
    2004 G35 Sedan ♦ 6sp, Uprev Osiris

4. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Me too.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I would probably say that times have changed since the Civic was the champion of the econo-class in the 80s. It is bigger than the Accord of the time and performance versions approach $50K. What I'm trying to do is effect monthly spending now instead of a year from now. I've thought about waiting out the lease and just DD'ing the Vette afterward but I'm still looking at $3,350 PLUS an extra "penalty" payment from Honda Financial at the end of the lease term. I'm not making that up.

Also, I want to mention that I am not making desperate moves for survival, only trying to restructure my monthly payout for things I don't need in exchange for a more tolerable lifestyle. I love the Corvette and I admit it is a toy and will always be partially disassembled for modding so I do want another car as a DD. I don't mind a new contract for a car I'm going to eventually own but I'm thinking I'm pretty much done with leasing.

I could buy a cheap and probably somewhat reliable clunker but I just don't want to get into replacing clutches, tires, brakes and all the other wear items even though I could in my garage. I'm pretty old school now. I just want to tell Alexa to start the car so the air conditioner gets it nice and frosty, walk out and drive.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why you would be in hock for $3350 plus extra penalty at the end of your contract, unless you have passed the maximum milage limit or you agreed to a ballon payment. Back in 1977 I didn't have the required amount for a down payment to buy My 1977 280Z, in those days banks and credit unions required 10% down payment, so they wouldn't be stuck for a loss if they had to repo for non payment, I agreed to a 2 year lease and at the end of the lease, I manage to get a very low interest loan form the PacBell credit union to pay the buy out price of the 280Z. The only people who benefit from leasing a car are those who can claim it as a business expense or if you employer provides you with a new lease car every 2 years.

I like Scott's plan 3, a 2001-2005 civic with 70-60K miles in Civic, or Mazda3 for 2.5-3K, should last you 2-3 years before reaching 100K.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

8. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I won't be in arrears for $3350 at the end of the lease in 10 months. I was saying that I have 10 more payments of $335 left but even at the end of this term, while handing the keys back to Honda, they'll still demand an extra month's payment even though I will have already handed over the car to them and no longer in my possession.

Just like today's BS "dealer preparation fees" that approach nearly $1000, Honda has found a way to cheat you out of one more payment past the 36-month lease even though you no longer have the car you've paid an extra month for.

And to be more accurate, your very first payment at the dealership is not really a payment at all. It is just a gift to them because I made the first payment at the finance manager's desk, or at least what I thought was the first payment but three weeks later, I got a late notice from Honda along with a late fee.

It turns out, I was lied to and the first payment was just a deposit I was assured I wasn't required to make. So, I had to scramble financially to come up with a second payment in the first month.

In the end, you will pay 38 month's worth of payments on a 36-month lease with two of those payments being a straight up scam.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Was it Charlotte Honda?

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like