Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Which car should I get?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Honda Fit

1 16.67%
  • Mazda3

2 33.33%
  • Ford Focus

0 0%
  • Ford Fiesta

1 16.67%
  • Kia Forte

0 0%
  • C7 Corvette ZR-1 with ZTK Track Pack

2 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which car should I get?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which car should I get?

Just looking at the pics you posted the fit and versa both look ugly to me. The fiesta looks kind of goofy, I'm not sure if I like it or not. I like the way the others look at least.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860, E85
    2004 G35 Sedan ♦ 6sp, Uprev Osiris

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdexta View Post
    Just looking at the pics you posted the fit and versa both look ugly to me. The fiesta looks kind of goofy, I'm not sure if I like it or not. I like the way the others look at least.
    Sometimes its function, not fashion. I agree with you on the look of the car though, but it fits its mission.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had a car payment since Nov 2000. It is way cheaper to own something until the wheels fall off than to shovel out a payment every month.

but since this isn't my money, I voted for the mazda 3. It was hard choice because I like the Fiesta/focus lineup from ford as well.

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not quite sure how helpful your post is. Would I like to have everything I need and be debt free? Of course but debt happens. Plumbers, vet bills, student loans, mortgages, new babies and so on, if you need a repair or experience a life change or upgrade your home, it's always going to cost money so monthly payments are just an inevitability. Keeping debt-to-income ratio at 50 percent or less is the real goal while eliminating debt entirely is the ultimate desire.

Anyway, this time around, I'm skipping the new-car-every-few-years lease pattern and want to own now. I'd like to cut my current lease costs and find a car to buy that will be reliable, useful and save a chunk of money. I'm not really looking for Lamborghini looks, just something I can get in, turn the key and go where I need to whether a doctor appointment or Lowes.

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Uhhh, I voted on a car?

6. Likes pdexta liked this post
    Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

AO, I mentioned it elsewhere, but I might look at the Golf models too. Decreasing debt and complications is admirable, and I've gone through that. I believe a consideration here should be how long you intend to own it, and whether or not you can live with the car for that duration. Economical utilitarian cars can be a little tricky. Features and comfort are really important to me for vehicles I would spend the majority of my commuting and travel miles in.

There two different segments in the cars you list above. The Focus, Forte, and the 3 are larger, where the Fit and the Fiesta are smaller. I would consider the Hyundai Elantra GT and the Golf hatchback, even the Golf SportWagen. There is some compromise in these segments, but I think I have a handle on the pricing you are looking for. The Fit can feel a little cheap, as can the Fiesta. I think the issue would be if you can live with the economy feel of it long-term.

I have a love-hate relationship with German cars, but VW is stepping up after Dieselgate and their warranty/pricing is attractive. The Korean manufacturers are coming on strong, they clearly have their sights on the Japanese. I'm not sure they are quite there, but do offer good values. If resale is a concern, it would be tough to beat the Honda. I have fallen out of love with the Hondas since my Pilot debacle, and their styling is really rough on my eyes. The VWs I've been in lately really surprise me with their feel and comfort, it feels like a car built for our refined tastes.

Good luck with the search, feel free to reach out if you want to noodle some options!

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, yes. After you mentioned that on MR, I looked into some Golfs, even that Polo we unfortunately don’t get. Our local Honda dealer is also a VW dealer and there were some very nice selections for sure. The higher price for them is difficult to get past though. My number one goal is to reduce my monthly costs on cars or else I’d just keep the excellent Civic I have now.

I confess that I do like comfort and features as well which is why some compact, spartan cars are off the list. Some are off the list for looking just plain goofy. I have also checked out the Chevy Spark and Sonic along with Hyundai and Kia hatches. The Ford Focus hatch looks great to me but I’m concerned about the transmission.

This may sound silly but I really like the fuel door on the driver side. Also, I’m so used to start buttons now (Vettes, Mazda6, 370Z, Civic) that I haven’t turned an ignition key a key in a decade. I like having the fob in my pocket, the door automatically unlocking when I approach and just getting in and pressing Start. I know, I know. It sounds ridiculous but I really like these things.

Personally, the 2015+ Fit looks great to me and the inside is deceptively cavernous for a compact car. There are several other factors I have to consider as well. The first is availability of a car. I live in a smaller area so choices are fewer without traveling and because I have a trade-in, every dealer from Naples to Orlando wants to evaluate it first but I can’t go driving all over the state. Then there is the cost to insure. My insurance agent must be getting tired of my constant calling for quotes for this car and that car.

I bet in Atlanta, you have unbelievable choices but higher insurance costs.

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Insurance is high here, but less than Socal. Not by much though. NC has some inexpensive rates, the government sort of sets the standards on the pricing there. I lived in Orange County in CA, I had a spotless record and I called to add a rider for my hardtop. In that process I asked why the the rates were what they are, thinking it had to do with theft rates or the propensity for long police chases. The agent told me it was because of the sort of cars that were common in my ZIP code. He basically said if I were to get in an accident in my shitbox against a relatively common $100k luxury car, they were on the hook for repairs of that car (if my fault), so that was the primary reason for the higher costs. :\

I think choices are sort of leveling out with so many mega-dealers, like Autonation and the like. They "say" it's an extra charge to bring in a car from one of their other dealers, but they are shuffling their inventory all the time. I think you know where that goes in "dealer costs". ;)

You know my feelings on new cars, so I won't go there.

I think maybe hang onto the Civic until you are right-side on the value and go from there. Maybe add an air freshener or curb feelers to make it feel sporty.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Car insurance in my small town is lower, yes but generally higher than other states due to our number of uninsured drivers on the roads here. Homeowner insurance is high because of our hurricanes and flooding. My own insurance company even suggested I go elsewhere for a lower rate and that soon, they weren’t even going to offer insurance in my area.

I’ve been checking out Autonation and another one called JostOffLease.com which doesn’t charge BS dealer preparation fees (don’t get me started). The trouble again, is that I have a trade in that they’d need to see before they try to lowball me. They always follow the same formula: auction value minus $600-$1000.

No, I’m not looking for a new car now, just a good used one. Funnily, they want to charge the same fees as they do a new one. I’m surprised they’re not charging a destination fee but I’m sure they will. My Civic is a lease with a high residual value at the end of the lease next year so it’ll still be cheaper to buy a used one rather than converting it to a purchase loan.

Luckily, I am now within $1200-$1500 of its trade-in value rather than the $3350 of remaining payments. If I make three or four more payments, I should be able to trade it in or sell it outright without carrying any negative equity. I got burned going from one Vette to another because while the first Vette was cleared by CarFax, an internal GM system had written it off as a total loss, no warranty, three weeks after arriving at its original dealer’s lot. I carried over four grand of negative equity into my next car and still feel burned over it.

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I didn't know that on the other Vette. I'm surprised the dealer can get away with that or Carfax.

I know it sounds goofy, but a Crown Vic is a damn good utility car and very reliable. I considered one as a DD, used. A friend of mine is a PI, he swears by them or longevity and space. I know it's not easy to finance older cars, but I've had good luck with decent rates on unsecured loans for older cars from Lightstream/Suntrust. I generally keep the loan amount payable in 12-24 months, sign up for 36, pay it off early. Automatic withdrawl, decent rates, etc. Apply online, give them my routing info, they approve, deposit and go buy what I want in cash.