Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Anyone else getting calls from their OWN number?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else getting calls from their OWN number?

Recently, I’ve been receiving calls from telephone numbers exactly one digit different than my own. For example, if my number were XXX-XXX-1234, I get calls from XXX-XXX-1233 or XXX-XXX-1235.

Today, I got a call from exactly my own number! I looked at the screen and there’s my number and profile pict. Of course, I don’t believe any of these calls are legitimate so I never answer plus they never leave a message.

I know number spoofing has been around for awhile but I’m wondering now if they’re calling other people, faking my phone number and what legal implications that could mean for me if people are harrassed, scammed or threatened thinking it’s me.

Also, I often call my banking and service providers (cable tv, internet, etc), their systems automatically pull up my account based on my number in their caller ID. Can scammers call with my spoofed number and change my account passwords?

I’ve had my number over 20 years and don’t really want to change it.
    Speed is just a question of money - how fast can you go?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone else getting calls from their OWN number?

I've gotten the exact thing you describe for years, probably a couple calls a week. When I answer someone on the other end is saying, "Hello... Hellooo?" Meanwhile, I'm doing the same thing and then it turns into a "No, you called me", "No, you called me..." conversation. All I can figure is it's some kind of glitch in the phone network that's somehow sending outbound calls to 2 people at the same time and connecting them. After a few of these instances I just started ignoring the calls.

I'm curious what provider you have? My number was originally an AT&T number, but I switched over to Boost Mobile (prepaid phone on Sprint's network).
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860, E85
    2004 G35 Sedan ♦ 6sp, Uprev Osiris

Post Thanks / Like

AT&T also.

I remember last year on the news, they said people were being recorded saying “yes” and using that voice print for some kind of scam.
    Speed is just a question of money - how fast can you go?

♘ Senior Gearhead 3000+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I get a lot of calls from in area and out of area numbers that hang up after several ring tones, I answered a few but don't speak, once I heard the familiar fax connect signal and ended the call. in most cases the calls are terminated after few seconds. I block the number before deleting it. The TeleMarket Industry recruits to cold call from large sequential tele-number list and in some cases they target Fax machines to leave ad copy.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.