Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 Grillin’ thread - Red Snappers?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 Grillin’ thread - Red Snappers?

A bit of history:

The original Nathans in Coney Island NYC invented the hot dog around the turn of the century. They are still there, I ate there, and they are still the best hot dog on the planet. Now if you really care what's in a hot dog, you go with Hebrew National. Totally Kosher and have to answer to a much higher authority than the US Dept. of Agriculture. Back in my days of my childhood, mom use to slit them down the middle, lay a slice of mozzarella cheese in them, wrap them in bacon and grill them on a charcoal grill. Hmm!
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Picture from my fridge just now. I usually have a couple packs of Hebrew National too when they’re on sale. IMO, a bit saltier than Nathan’s but still good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAE29E9B-2F80-442A-9255-B59926CE84D9.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	2667
    Speed is just a question of money - how fast can you go?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh ya, I do the seasoning. Have done it crisco and I believe flax seed oil (?) My mother always used crisco on her's and threw it in the oven
    Paul
    Slightly customized Red '90

Post Thanks / Like

Making me hungry!
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

☆ Chief Gearhead 2000+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    Making me hungry!
    Double hungry, I know that all the famous hot dogs, come from east coast, Out in Sunny California the Vienna Sausage Hot Dog in its plump form was and is my favorite. In Walnut Creek CA there was a shop that specialized in this brand selling only Hot Dogs in all its forms with fresh chopped tomatoes, onions, German Mustard, Grey Coupon for the French flavor, and all the other condiments. It was next to the Movie Theater and there was a line of people waiting to buy hot dogs. If you didn't want to wait in line you would go between movie times. Sadly Walnut Creek became an up scale town and the little shop along with other small shops where bought out and turned into high priced Restaurants.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Another New York City favorite. A Sabrette hot dog from the street cart vendor with mustard and sauerkraut....Hmm.

Name:	hot dog.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	2673

Name:	hot dog2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	2674
    Last edited by minuteman048; 04-04-2018 at 07:54 AM.

7. Likes Pmarcuzzo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s exactly what is needed at every car show we’ve been to.

Post Thanks / Like

Need a retired guy to run it.....hey Mario.

Post Thanks / Like

I see “retired” people walking down the street with shopping carts far away from the store. Now I know why.

Name:	3AE19EE9-A0BB-447C-A2C9-79CC0A0FD866.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	2675

☆ Chief Gearhead 2000+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    A bit of history:

The original Nathans in Coney Island NYC invented the hot dog around the turn of the century. They are still there, I ate there, and they are still the best hot dog on the planet. Now if you really care what's in a hot dog, you go with Hebrew National. Totally Kosher and have to answer to a much higher authority than the US Dept. of Agriculture. Back in my days of my childhood, mom use to slit them down the middle, lay a slice of mozzarella cheese in them, wrap them in bacon and grill them on a charcoal grill. Hmm!
    The sausage called hot dog, in Frankfurt-am-Main Germany is traditionally credited with originating the frankfurter. This claim is disputed by those who assert that the popular sausage, known as a dachshund “little dog” created in the late 1600 by Johann Georghehner a butcher living in Coburg, Germany.

MM is correct Charles Feltman invented the elongated hot dog bun in Coney Island in 1871. At the 1904 Louisiana Perchase Exposition, in St Louis MO, Antoine Feuchtwanger served hot sausages called ‘frankfurters’ after his birthplace, Frankfurt.

This is everything you ever wanted to know about hot dogs and Frankfurters, at least it answers my questions as to the Origins and the differences between Hot dogs, Frankfurter, and the various Hot Dog franchises.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.