Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111621 ... LastLast

Thread: New Camaro SS

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Camaro SS

Back in the days of my youth I had a 1973 Pontiac Firebird with the robbery plastic nose. Never had a stone chip with those. I think the color on those went all the way through. Today's plastic front ends chip disgracefully. I think they need to go back to school to relearn how to make them.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that those hard rubber noses where not repairable like todays lighter nose, if the old hard rubber nose was damaged it had to be replaced.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

They were repairable just like today's.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

🛠 Tool wench 500+
    Drives
    it like I stole it.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    A bra. Hmm. Well that’ll certainly add to your street cred, heh heh.
    Funny guy. I drive a Miata, what do I care what people think?

This is strictly due to the fragile paint on every car out there today. I have read about (and experienced) Mazda's easy-to-chip paint, but apparently it is not limited to them. Probably has to do with the water based paint manufacturers are using in the interest of being environmentally friendly.

I still didn't see anything on the USPS site when we got in today so wrote to the company. Turned out I was given an incorrect tracking number (why didn't the USPS site tell me that?) and it was delivered Friday. It was a good customer service experience, if I decide to buy an engine upgrade stuff I'll go to them first.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 04-17-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Just kidding. I was remembering the old car bras from the 1980s being the must-have car accessory of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest problem with car bra's is that some car owners install them and almost never remove them. The originator of the car bra was Porsche, they create it to protect the front of the car when they tested each and ever car as they came off the production line, Porsche had a full size test track with esses curves , long straight aways, hair pin turns, rough road sections even a section with two inches of water. Once the car passed the drive test the bra was removed, the car washed and detailed. The bra was also washed and dried. The bra's were replaced as soon as they showed signs of wear. The Legend of the car bra says that a very rich customer who ordered a special unique Porsche was at the factory watching his car travel down the production line and when it was test driven he noticed the bra and ask if he could purchase one for his car. and as they say the rest is history.
    leaving the bra on the car for long periods of time the dirt and dust that collects where the bra touches the fenders, hood it wears away the clear coat, the paint. The way to use the bra is to install it just before you leave on a long distance trip where you will be driving on all types of road conditions. When you reach the end of your trip or stop for the night, you should remove the bra, clean the car and the bra to remove road grime and re-install the bra just before starting out on the next leg of your trip. The reality is that the car bra instantly became a sports car symbol, and ceased to be functional.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

7. Thanks chiefmg thanked for this post
    Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one on my Starion and at highway speeds the top of the bra would buffet on the top of the hood, basically sanding off the paint. Today's bras are more of a clear, plastic film.

🛠 Tool wench 500+
    Drives
    it like I stole it.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just kidding. I was remembering the old car bras from the 1980s being the must-have car accessory of the time.
    I knew you were. I would hope at this point in time that you would know, that I knew, that you were kidding. Or do I need to use an emoji/emoticon/whatever to put my point across? I know some people can be slow...

I recall the flapping of the old bras (remember the deflectors some had built-in to combat that?). I had a few cars previously with them, always took them off occasionally to wash and wax underneath. Never had an issue with the paint. The one I have for the Camaro is this: https://www.novistretch.com/collections/camaro It's exceptionally easy to put on and take off and by all accounts easy to clean. It will only be used for long highway trips, with all the crap that is strewn on the roadways these days I figure it is cheap insurance.

Post Thanks / Like

I had one on my Starion and at highway speeds the top of the bra would buffet on the top of the hood, basically sanding off the paint. Today's bras are more of a clear, plastic film.
    They too have there problems, a friend of mine had plastic film covering the front nose of his car and after two years of wear and leaving the car park in his drive way notice tiny little black spot all over the plastic film and they wouldn't wash off. upon closer inspection he discovered that it was mold forming in the tiny holes caused by small rocks and other types of debris. Mold was growing not only in the hole but also spreading underneath the plastic film. If you are going to protect the paint and body of your car, you are going to garage your car, wash and wax it on regular intervals, or every time you drive on freeways for trips that last longer than 200 miles.
    Mario E Ordonez

Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. It's not for me. I'll just care for my car and when it finally gets too peppered to stand anymore, I'll have the nose painted.