Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Englishtown NJ Raceway Park ceases drag racing operations immediately, cancels NHRA Summernationals

Post Thanks / Like

Englishtown NJ Raceway Park ceases drag racing operations immediately, cancels NHRA Summernationals

This is where I got started being a Gearhead. Use to Drag race here in the 70's.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhra-shocke...153248552.html

If put in baseball terms, Wednesday morning’s news from the NHRA is comparable to Yankee Stadium closing down for good.
    One of the most popular and longest-running race tracks on the NHRA national event circuit — Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in Englishtown, New Jersey — announced in a statement that “it will no longer host any drag racing events at its facility, effective immediately. This includes the 49th Annual NHRA Summernationals, scheduled to take place this June.”
    This is massive — and terrible news — for NHRA fans, particularly those on the East Coast, as the track more commonly known simply as “Englishtown” has long been a destination point for fans in the New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland area for decades. That not only includes NHRA national events, but also local bracket racing at the track.
    Few details on the decision to stop all drag racing events are known. However, the track has long struggled being landlocked and unable to expand its runoff area for cars that have problems stopping under their own power. That is especially problematic for Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars, which are the most powerful cars in the sport and, due to the 10,000 horsepower they produce, often need longer stopping distances.

NHRA Funny Car driver Scott Kalitta was killed in a crash at Old Bridge Raceway on June 21, 2008, when his car was unable to stop in the runoff area and collided with a portable crane past the runoff area.
    NHRA spokesperson Jessica Hatcher told NBC Sports in an email Wednesday morning that the sanctioning body will not look to find a replacement venue for Englishtown on the 2018 racing schedule.
    As a result, the 2018 Mello Yello Drag Racing Series schedule will shrink from 24 to 23 going forward with Englishtown’s departure.
    ” ‘Stunned’ is the perfect word to describe how we are all feeling right now,” Hatcher said. “For 2018, we are focusing on the remaining 23 events and do not foresee any additional changes to the schedule.”
    UPDATE: Hatcher reached out again to NBC Sports later Wednesday afternoon with an addendum that could be promising for race fans in other markets: “Upon hearing the news about the Englishtown track, we’ve received a significant level of interest from other track operators about hosting a national event in 2018. We’re not sure if this is possible for 2018, but we’re definitely looking into it, if not for 2018, then perhaps for 2019.”
    New NHRA president Glen Cromwell said in a media release, “NHRA drag racing events have been held at the track in Englishtown for almost 50 years. The Summernationals have played an important part of our heritage and we hope that fans in the area will try to make it to another of our events.
    “Our focus remains on making the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series a memorable experience for our fans, racers, sponsors, partners and tracks.”
    The nearest venues to Englishtown that will host NHRA events this season are Maple Grove Raceway outside Reading, Pennsylvania (105 miles west of Englishtown) and New England Dragway in Epping, New Hampshire (310 miles northeast).

99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Englishtown NJ Raceway Park ceases drag racing operations immediately, cancels NHRA Summernation

Wow, I am pretty sure my dad raced his car at the track back in the early 60's! The times are a changin' . . . .
    Paul
    Slightly customized Red '90

☆ Chief Gearhead 2000+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Englishtown NJ Raceway Park ceases drag racing operations immediately, cancels NHRA Summernation

Sad another Raceway Park is lost.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never hear of it but I can identify with another piece of Americana gone.
    Speed is just a question of money - how fast can you go?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    Iíve never hear of it but I can identify with another piece of Americana gone.
    Been around since the 50's and home of the drag racing Summer Nationals. Although they have been around forever and always won any lawsuits by en-cringing housing developments over noise because they were there when all it was, was farm land. With 300 mph top fuel dragsters the norm nowadays, there was no additional land at the end of the strip to stop for safety reasons. The insurance companies won this one.

I use to practically live there and bracket race my 1969 Dodge Dart GT.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Post Thanks / Like

This brought me the same feelings as when Riverside International Raceway closed in the 80's, and North Wilkesboro Speedway in the 90's. Like so many things I remember from my youth, the sadness isn't in a fear that the sport is dying, rather that the heritage is being lost.
    '93 Red. 15x10, Xida CS, Torsen, Carbotech, Racing Beat, Enthuza, Rotrex C30-74, Precision FMIC, Tial, Skunk2, Haltech, Momo, Hard Dog, LanceSpeed, Blackbird Fabworx, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

It was The Drag Race Track on the east coast.

http://www.etownraceway.com/
    Last edited by minuteman048; 01-20-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Spent a lot of time At Englishtown. Grew up less then ten miles away. Raced my cars and motorcycles there. I was on a pit crew for a tubed chassis fuel injected 48 Fiat B altered as well. We ran 8 ohs at 160. Friggin shame but all the development won over.

They had a wicked motocross track there too and an airport, if I remember right. This isn't a pic of the car I pitted on but a similar setup. Went to shows and raced for 4 years. I can still hear the radios ads, in my head. Sunday, Sunday, Sunday at Raceway Park! Fuel burning wheelie cars! etc.

Good memories. They used to have concerts there too. I got a good wiff of tear gas while 100 of us were breaking down the fence at a Climax Blues Band concert.

2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

Remember these WABC commercials Joe?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XwCgHBfhwZg

☆ Chief Gearhead 2000+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gazornan View Post
    This brought me the same feelings as when Riverside International Raceway closed in the 80's, and North Wilkesboro Speedway in the 90's. Like so many things I remember from my youth, the sadness isn't in a fear that the sport is dying, rather that the heritage is being lost.
    I was sadden to loose Riverside International Raceway as well, I was stationed at March AFB from 1960 to 1963 and could hear the races, I worked a 9 day rotating shift duty with a 72 hour break so never had the opportunity to go to the races. When I was discharged after serving 4 years I moved back to San Francisco and then drove down to Riverside to watch Can Am, SCCA Pro races.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.