Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suspension refresh

Post Thanks / Like

Suspension refresh

Sometime in the future I'll be updating my six year old Koni Str shocks. I plan on replacing the existing sport springs, which have 150k on them, with low mileage msm springs. I'll probably use fat cat or 5x foam bumpstops.

I'm on a poor man budget. I was thinking Bilstein b-6 or Excell shocks. Bernie had an issue where his ride height went up a lot, using Bilstein. That's about the only thing stopping me from them. Any input out there?
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suspension refresh

I seem to remember something about that. Wasn’t it because the front springs were mistakenly installed in the rear? It doesn’t seem like shocks themselves can lift a car.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know much about the 5X bump stops, but I went with Fat Cat stops. Shaikh will help you pick out the right size for you. Yes my Bilstein HD's did raise the ride height on the car and there are pictures on my suspension build. Never really knew why, but I corrected the problem with Eibach springs and Ground Control coilovers. Handled awesome after lowering it.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 10-31-2017 at 06:10 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

I wish there was a really good all around, comfortable, performance, inexpensive option for suspension but it's so tough to find the right fit.

Everyone hates on Raceland coilovers but I was totally satisfied with them when I had them. Maybe I'm just a terrible judge of suspension, but they were comfortable but considerably stiffer than stock, and seemed to handle good enough for my needs. I "upgraded" to BC Coilovers and was pretty unimpressed with them, they were just super stiff and abusive.

Now I've got bilstein's converted to coilovers. After a lot of tinkering and adjustments, I'm happy with them. The ride is great, very comfortable, but I feel like they could handle big bumps better. I assume I'm probably smashing the bumpstops on big bumps in the road. I'd guess if I raised the car it'd probably get a lot better, but I really like the height it's at so I just deal with it since it's not a frequent problem.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Just like your constant tinkering with your turbo and Megasquirt, its' trial and error till you get it just right.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve liked my tein coil overs. They are fine for street driving, but I think the spring rates are a little soft for the miata the more aggressive you drive. I’m sure there are better options out there, but I’m pretty happy with mine. Of course I got exactly what I set out to build, a fun daily.

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

My only concern is that when moving to coilovers on a Miata, even Sheik’s is that you’ll be dealing with noticeable grinding noise from the suspension. The more “racecar” you make your Miata, the more the metal-grinding suspension, whiney fuel pump and so on.

I agree with Scott above. Find something that is a good compromise like Racelands and be done with it. Do you really need a race car? Because they’re loud, stinky, uncomfortable and regrettable.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really just looking for a better than stock shock to mate to my Mazdaspeed springs. I don't want to lower the car. I hit enough speed bumps as is. Maybe tire rack can help inform me on the Bilsteins.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

No grinding noise on my current suspension.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting a vibration noise which I'm sure is coming from the left front. Inside of the tire had slight cupping. I looked at the shock and there's no oil leak. Don't trust tire kingdom to diagnose. The right side has normal wear. Thinking about paying a competent mechanic to look at it. I don't know what to look for. Any ideas out there?