Thread: Mazda MX5 RF wind noise

Post Thanks / Like

Mazda MX5 RF wind noise

Watched Motor Week this weekend and they tested the 2017 MX5 RF. Nothing I did not already know, but teh commit that got me was that the wind noise with the top down is horrible. A test drive would definitely in order before I would buy one to see how bad it is. MY NB isn't too bad.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mazda MX5 RF

I saw that episode too and was going to post about it. It’s common sense that all convertibles are going to experience wind noise so no surprise there but I think the RF is much like the Corvette with the roof panel removed. The “coupe” portion of the rear creates an interesting dynamic in the form of a noisy, pulsing sound because of the parachute-like design with the rear window and trunk area. I don’t need a wind tunnel and smoke to prove it because I can hear and feel what’s going on.

I have a plastic, “visor” that spans the upper windshield frame and sticks up about an inch which solves the problem as it directs air up and over the coupe section. I think the same thing could be made for the RF which would arrest that noise problem too. Another thing that helps is the wind deflector behind the seats.
    Speed is just a question of money - how fast can you go?

Apprentice 750+
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mazda MX5 RF wind noise

I thought the RF had a rear window that rolled down, kinda like the old del sol's????

That would cut down on the wind noise

☆ Chief Gearhead 2000+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My 1972 914 Porsche a targa with aremoval roof. It was noisy, louder than the MGB with the top down. The bigger problem was that the wind would cyclone off the back window (nonremobpvable) and blow Brenda’s very long hair over head and wipe her face. When I wanted to remove the roof she would have to braid or tie it into a ponytail and also wear a hat. It was an issue that had to be agreed to before driving with the top down. I will post a photo of her wearing the hat and post it as a Repy.

Not to beat a dead horse, but that’s one more reason why I not like the RF. I would consider buy it as a true GT FB.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Well there’s your problem: females and convertibles are incompatible.

If I were to buy a newer Miata nowadays, it would be the RF but not for a third of what my house costs. I’ll wait until I can get it for about $12K. BTW, a Miata can never be a true GT. That’s why it’s so popular.
    Speed is just a question of money - how fast can you go?

☆ Chief Gearhead 2000+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    Well there’s your problem: females and convertibles are incompatible.

If I were to buy a newer Miata nowadays, it would be the RF but not for a third of what my house costs. I’ll wait until I can get it for about $12K. BTW, a Miata can never be a true GT. That’s why it’s so popular.
    You have some explaining todo “Ricki”, a fast back in the shape of the original Ferarri, like the Alfa Zagato, the 240Z and the Ford Mustang GT, a fast back MX-5 Miata (without a removable roof) should qualify.

As to why the MX-5 Miata is so popular is that it started out as an entry level Roadster that anyone can afford. Over the years has remained a Roadster until 2006 went the NC added an electrical removable hardtop.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.