Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 63 123456111621263136414651 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearhead Random Ongoing Chat (GROC) 2014

Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Gearhead Random Ongoing Chat (GROC) 2014

Thought we'd try this out here for the hell of it. It's just a thread that has no point or direction, only random thoughts. This isn't to replace the "Look what I did to my Miata today" thread nor the "Look what I got for my Miata" thread so make sure to keep posting in those (stickied) if you worked on your car or got something in the mail.

No, this is just to drop random thoughts, whatever they are like a diary.

Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gearhead Random Ongoing Chat (GROC)

Came out of the store and saw this today: bone stock 02BYSE. I've only seen one other one in the wild here from time to time, which is unusual but I think I finally trapped it. Anyway, left a note about us and some contact info which reminds me, I need to get the business cards done so everyone can pass them out in the community. Most people don't know we exist.

Post Thanks / Like

I know while looking at that SE you must have started picturing it without tuuperware, a set of wheels, stripes, etc. I know you can't stand to see a Miata bone stock.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw one of these for sale on a used car lot in Punta Gorda.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I need a wheel alignment.
    Any tips?

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Know a great place in Punta Gorda, but I believe you are from Naples and not travel that far.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I have a place down here that will do what ever specs I tell them. The "specs" is what I'm lacking.
    Just looking around the other sites for a decent compromise setting. Not too worried about my street tires but that doesn't mean I want to go through them in a month.

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

I used the Flyin Miata specs...I'm very happy with the alignment. They are on their website, but I cut and pasted it below.

Recommended alignment numbers

A good alignment makes a huge difference to car handling. The standard numbers from Mazda are fairly vague and don't necessarily flatter the Miata. A precision alignment can make even a standard Miata more fun to drive.

These are the numbers that we use at Flyin' Miata. They work well for cars fitted with our suspension kits or stock setups. There is no odd tire wear. Racers might want to vary their setup based on their particular needs of course. If you take your car to an alignment shop, ask them to come as close as possible to these settings. For a full discussion of what these numbers mean, you can read Miata Performance Projects.

It's possible that not all cars will be able to reach these numbers. If this is the case, please call our tech line (1 970 464 5600) and our techs will be able to advise you.

Front
    Caster: 5.0 degrees
    Camber: 1.0 degrees negative
    Toe-in: 1/16", 0.15° or 9 arcminutes total (1/32", 0.075° or 4.5 minutes per side)

Rear
    Camber: 1.5 degrees negative
    Toe-in: 1/16", 0.15° or 9 arcminutes total (1/32", 0.075° or 4.5 minutes per side)

Post Thanks / Like

Very interested in hearing about the alignment settings you guys have :)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm going to go with something a bit more aggressive.
    Still haven't settled on my final ride height, at 12 1/4"F 12 3/4"R, but might drop it down another 1/4" all round.
    Been doing some reading on the STS threads as well as 949Racings recommendations. I'm sure I can find a happy medium between pure autocross and street.