Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Bearings - Potential problems I might encounter!

Post Thanks / Like

Rear Wheel Bearings - Potential problems I might encounter!

Got this post from another forum. Before I try this will probably have to have an honorable Saki toast and wear my Kamikaze headband:

I heard a hum from the rear of my 03 Miata ( 160K ). Decided to just change them both. Passenger side, not too bad, borrowed a puller and with some struggle, got the hub off the axle, had the new bearing pressed in and replaced the bushing at the top of the knuckle.
    Drivers side, not so much. With puller, 15" breaker bar and 4' pipe, managed to actually bend the hub. Bought new hub. Took the whole axle out and off to friends garage with a 20 ton press, next the end of the axle split, ordered new axle, then we broke the 20 ton press!!!
    Cut the old axle off and took what was left to a shop that does drive line repair and has huge equipment. He used heat and a 60 ton press which finally exploded the axle out of the hub. NOT FUN! Putting it all back together this morning. Next time I'll just turn the radio up!
    Last edited by minuteman048; 04-06-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

☆ Chief Gearhead 2000+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rear Wheel Bearings - Potential problems I might encounter!

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    Got this post from another forum. Before I try this will probably have to have an honorable Saki toast and wear my Kamikaze headband:

I heard a hum from the rear of my 03 Miata ( 160K ). Decided to just change them both. Passenger side, not too bad, borrowed a puller and with some struggle, got the hub off the axle, had the new bearing pressed in and replaced the bushing at the top of the knuckle.
    Drivers side, not so much. With puller, 15" breaker bar and 4' pipe, managed to actually bend the hub. Bought new hub. Took the whole axle out and off to friends garage with a 20 ton press, next the end of the axle split, ordered new axle, then we broke the 20 ton press!!!
    Cut the old axle off and took what was left to a shop that does drive line repair and has huge equipment. He used heat and a 60 ton press which finally exploded the axle out of the hub. NOT FUN! Putting it all back together this morning. Next time I'll just turn the radio up!
    Just making sure that this is the quote and not your actual experience. If and when you do attempt this kind of repair I want to ge invited to the Saki ceremony and participate in the work.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

On the ride up to Miatapalooza I rode with the top up. That being said without the wind noise I could hear more of the sounds the car was making. As I have been suspecting over the last few years, I think my right rear wheel bearing is going. I know I have been talking about it for years, but the whirring noise is definetly there. Here's the good news:

The Supreme Commander Mrs. Minuteman has given the OK for me to purchase a set of rear wheel bearings, axle nuts, C-clips, and lower control arm bushings in just under two weeks. I will be doing both sides and this will bring me closer to getting a set of tires so I only have to do an alignment once. The car will be up on jacks for as long as it takes and I hope the previous scenario does not play out. I've been training for this job the last four years.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

4. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget I want to be of help, I suspect you will need at least two more hands.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Weekend job. Will let you know when I'm ready.

Post Thanks / Like

If you need a hand, just holler! I have a 5 lb. hammer for the light work.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to swing by if possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't buy the parts till sometime late next week. Once I get them I will schedule a tech day.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me know to, I'd love to watch. . . lol,

you guys know I can't sit still. . .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Morreale View Post
    If you need a hand, just holler! I have a 5 lb. hammer for the light work.
    MM doesn't allow 5 lb hammers in his work shop. They have a habit of attacking aluminum hoods.
    Mario E Ordonez