Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Running warm, again!

Post Thanks / Like

Running warm, again!

Yesterday I took my car out in the 90+ degree weather we had, to see how it would react in hot weather. I did not yet have the under belly on. After 20 minutes, a lot under boost, with my barely working ac on, the temps climbed up to 224. Mind you the stock gauge showed normal. I turned off the ac and temps started to drop.

I came home and cut and fitted the under belly. I then went back out wrecking havoc in traffic. In ten minutes or so temps were up to 216 and rising. I shut the ac off and they started to drop. Without the ac on temps may climb to 200 or so.

What else can I do for cooling? My thermostat is new and I have a huge radiator. I have a shroud over the top. During a previous installation I had to cut 1/2'' off the bottom of the cooling fan shroud and 1/8'' off the fan itself. They would not clear the oversized sway bay when I put the radiator in. I've since moved the radiator forward. Could this have that much effect on it? I also do not have the fender liners in yet. I can't see them making that much difference, but they need fitting and cutting too. I just haven't had it in me to do it yet.

This is kind of not an issue, at this point, because the ac isn't working well enough to bother to use. I will fix it and use it and don't want to cook my motor when I do.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Running warm, again!

What temp thermostat do you have in the car? I think the stock NB stat is like 190 or 195. Swapping in a 180 degree thermostat should help if you didn't go cooler last time you swapped it.

Is the front of the car pretty well sealed up to force air through the radiator? If you can seal up the holes any better that should help as well.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm going to have to try and find a way to seal the radiator along the sides. Maybe for now I could use household weatherstripping tape. I know the heat will kill it after a while but it's the only thing I can think of. There are holes in the belly pan where I cut it out to go around the IC intake pipe. Do you think I need to try and seal them up too? It might be a job for gorilla tape. I'll try and get the fender liners in tomorrow. They have ducting on them, although I don't have a clue how much it would do. They do keep dirt out of the fender though.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

A radiator cowl cover will help. You want as much air going through the radiator as possible and not around it. This will help prevent air going over your radiator.

This or similar will help:

http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewPr...1&SortOrder=60

A factory belly pan is also the best for under the car. I would also clean your AC condenser coil with coil cleaner. Bugs getting in there over time will take its toll by causing blockage.

Wiring both fans to come on at the same time is also a good trick especially when you are idling.

Heard using water weter that uses distilled water helps also. Distilled water has no minerals in it which can become insulators reducing heat transfer.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 04-04-2017 at 11:51 AM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

5. Likes pdexta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Water wetter is a great suggestion. The stuff is awesome.

What mix of coolant are you running? I always use a good bit more water than recommended. It's not like you need the "anti-freeze" here and you really don't want to see temps over boiling either, you just need the coolant to keep the water pump happy.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    We need to start a "Go Fund Me" page for Joe.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdexta View Post
    Water wetter is a great suggestion. The stuff is awesome.

What mix of coolant are you running? I always use a good bit more water than recommended. It's not like you need the "anti-freeze" here and you really don't want to see temps over boiling either, you just need the coolant to keep the water pump happy.
    I personally am not using it right now. I solved my problem with a bigger radiator, but I read a lot of reviews on the stuff and it works great.

🛠 Tool wench 500+
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really hoping I don't have cooling issues. I haven't even put my under pan on yet. I'd like to do this and I'm thinking my next project before summer might just be a dual fan setup with a shroud. I've only got one fan keeping me cool right now. I'd like to run my second fan on my ac button, so I push the ac button and the second fan comes on.

Your on the right path by buttoning up the air flow. I'll also suggest doing a flush of some kind if you haven't in a while. I know they make a cleaner that you run for just a little while then flush it out. I did that on my motor and then flushed it with water like 2-3 times. Tons of stuff came out. This can clean the lines up so you don't have blockage or buildup. . . . Do you have a coolant reroute yet. . . I forget.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like