Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Running warm, again!

Apprentice 750+
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Running warm, again!

Good to hear.

Post up some pictures of the new vs the old???

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought of taking pictures. I'll take one of the old one out of the car and one of the new one installed later today. I hope it shows the comparison.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

The one in the car goes up to the bottom of the hood latch, around where the blue line is. You can see how much more area it opened up. The first one completely covered the mouth. I cut the bumper support a little to allow more air to pass through. I also used foam rubber, on the inside of the bumper the seal air to the inside of the mouth. I have to get a piece of corex and cut it to fit from the front of the undertray to the bottom of the bumper. I'll probably just use some self tappers for now. That will close everything up pretty good. I took a hard boosted run through Crewsville and speeds were in triple digits. Temps only went to 203. When I get finished I'm hoping for temps under 200.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

The little one is the new intercooler?

Apprentice 750+
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow, that is a lot smaller width wise. Are the cores the same thickness?

have you watched your IAT temps since the swap?

Post Thanks / Like

The little one is the new intercooler. I had to change the pipe on the hot side and add a pipe and couple on the cold side. Surprisingly it has more surface area than the original. Measurements are old one: 6.5''x22'' (143 sq. in.) new one 11.5''x15'' (172 sq. in.) That gives me 7'' of exposed radiator, through the mouth, that I didn't have before. They are both the same thickness and I have not checked IAT temps as of yet. I would imagine with the bumper support cut out the new IC is getting more air than before and air temps should be well under control. I'm going to try and fabricate and complete the undertray today. Depends on how damn hot it gets outside. It's already sweltering. If you know anybody looking for a good IC, send them in my direction. Not good with ac. It's a Vibrant core. The same one that Fab9 uses in their stage 1 unit. Cheap. I'll even clean the bugs off.