Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  87
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 36 of 65 FirstFirst ... 611162126313233343536373839404146515661 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearheads Random Ongoing Chat (GROC) 2017+

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gearheads Random Ongoing Chat (GROC) 2017+

Saw Solo, A Star Wars Story yesterday. It was good and answered a whole lot of question of how Han Solo got started as a smuggler. However it raised a whole set of new questions. You will just have to go see it to find out.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    You are absolutely correct. In Florida we don't get the real big ones, but we don't know when they are coming. As you said, with the other disasterÚus weather, at least you know its coming.

In 2004 I lived through my first and worst hurricane. Hurricane Charlie was coming up the west coast and was supposed to hit Tampa. Well it found the mouth of Charlotte Harbor which is shallow (about 20 ft. Max.) and since it is shallow had a higher temperature than the Gulf of Mexico. Warm water supercharges a hurricane so it made a 90 degree turn, came up the harbor and ripped Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda to shreds even knocking down brick buildings. I worked in support services for the fire department back then and Station 7 collapsed with the firefighters hunkered down under the kitchen tables. We had to rescue them and needed a bulldozer to clear a path to pull the fire engines out of the wreckage. They went into service without windshields and heavily damaged until relief units arrived from other fire departments from throughout the state.l

Charlie was officially a Cat 4 but was most likely a Cat 5. The area wind speed indicator broke but was designed for a maximum speed of 175 mph. Hurricanes are just Mammoth sized tornado's.

Took this picture about 10 years ago.

Attachment 2806

Better picture than news article:

Attachment 2807
    We do occasionally get huge tornadoes. My sister's neighborhood, in Kissimmee, was strafed by a f4 in 1998. The destruction was phenomenal. 42 people died that night.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've not been in a tornado, but in April 1992 we retired to live in Florida and driving crossing the State of Kansas we experienced an afternoon spring thunder storm, that blacken the sky covering the entire state. Lighting, thunder and flooding rain almost made it impossible to drive, we pulled off and stopped under an overpass to wait out the storm. After an hour the storm intensified and all our windows fogged up we couldn't see out and it was so dark is seemed like night time. cars and trucks splashed us with waves of water as they drove past. We decided that we could be in danger of being hit by a passing car or truck, so we got back on the road and drove into the early hours until the sun raise at 6:00 am and we reached the Kansas/Missouri state line. We found a motel and slept the whole day and night. We also learned the small town we stopped to have lunch was hit by a small Tornado late that afternoon.
    In my life time I have experienced to major Earthquakes, 1957 & 1989 in San Francisco and 4 Hurricanes, here in Fort Myers. Andrew, Charlie, Wilma, and Irema in which the hurricane eye past over us. While they are getting better at understanding what causes Earthquakes they and Tornados are unpredictable. They happen suddenly and if you are lucky you can take cover and protect yourself. What I find scary is that you have early warning some times days in advance, but not knowing when the hurricane makes land fall, makes it very difficult to travel to a save distance. In three out of four hurricanes if we had evacuated we would not have reached a safe place be cause the hurricane would have caught up with us. The additional factor is that if you don't evacuate at least 3 days before the hurricane reach you, the roads are full of cars traveling at 25 MPH and all the motels and hotels are booked in 1K mile radius.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, blizzards, straight line wind storms, and wildfires. Tornados are pretty scary in that sudden ďdeath from aboveĒ category. Saw a good number of them growing up in MI. The first sign is the color of the sky.

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

6. Likes Agent☣Orange liked this post
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked up some picts from last year:

This was before the power cut out and got dark when the 'cane hit
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3287.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	2815

Since the stores were all sold out of bottled water, I got the next best thing. Plus it was cheaper than water around here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3160.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	2814

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of my first cane. Didnít really know what to do or expect, so I filled my tub with water and went grocery shopping.

Because it was almost on top of the city, and I was single at the time, I bought what I thought would get me through: a 12 pack of beer and box of cold fried chicken. ;)

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

I was more conditioned for ice/snow storms up north but Florida preparation is more about beer, bullets and bbq supplies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu jesus View Post
    Reminds me of my first cane. Didn’t really know what to do or expect, so I filled my tub with water and went grocery shopping.

Because it was almost on top of the city, and I was single at the time, I bought what I thought would get me through: a 12 pack of beer and box of cold fried chicken. ;)
    What else would you need?
    Jerry Layman
    2010 Stormy Blue Mica PRHT

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Gearheads Random Ongoing Chat (GROC) 2017+

Decided to tackle the yard work in between storms, ahead of the real rain coming later. Yeah, nah, I didnít make it all the way through. I decided to send it anyways, pushed through to get it done, including trimming. It was a muddy mess, but itís done and looks good.

Didnít get to any car work like I thought I would, still have the rest of the week for that I suppose.