Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Wheeler Dealers - 1973 Camaro

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheeler Dealers - 1973 Camaro

Did anyone catch this episode? This would be my dream build. Take a 1973 split bumper Camaro with good paint, body, and interior and do a complete drive train, suspension, and brake upgrade. They dropped in a crate 383 stroker, upgraded turbo hydro 350 trans, posi-rear, coilover shocks, and Brembro brakes. Add some cool hood and trunk stripes, and it was hot.

Had the cousin to this car. A 1973 Pontiac Firebird Formula 455. This car had some torque and handled really well for the suspension technology of its time. It's Achillies heal was it only had a 13 gallon gas tank which gave meva range of about 180 miles.

Fast and fun to drive. That big block was heavy and I had to replace the original springs because it bottomed out on dips in the road. Alas like my 1976 280Z, road salt laden northeastern winters finished it off.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 12-01-2016 at 07:39 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheeler Dealers - 1973 Camaro

Yes I watched it today, while I liked all the up grades Mike wanted on the car to make it a "Muscle Car". I was sadden that it was all just remove and replace parts for profit and in the end they sold it for 35K when they spent 31K. I have to ask you if you had the funds would you pay that much money (35K) for that Camaro? That much money would have bought you an 2016 Camaro. The guy who bought the car for himself and his children may never get his investment. There are enough upgrade engine parts to bring that small block 350 motor to 300 BHP plus up grade the suspension, install disc brakes on the front and back maybe not Brembros, but you could have a nice running and handling car. I much prefer the previous show where they restore a three wheel German car. I'm not being critical about Muscle Car as I am about converting classic cars into Muscle Car Replicas. Mike even made a joke about it asking the creator of the big block 383 stroker engine for a sticker from his shop.

When Wheeler Dealer came to the US and began finding aging Muscle Cars and up grading them, they got away from the original concept of restoring old used cars back to good running order and making them available to the average car buyer who needed a good running used car.
    Last edited by SmileyFace; 12-01-2016 at 10:31 PM.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll take the 73 Camaro over a new one any day. Would be comfortable working on it and prefer to drive a classic over a car that has more computing power than the lunar lander. I won't need OBD2 scanners to figure out what's wrong with it and there's room to work under the hood. I'm not buying the car as an investment. I buying it for me to drive and have fun.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't watched the show yet

with that said, 35k is about the average price for a split nose camaro. The 70-73 camaro and firebirds are hot right now. I have been trying to buy one off and on for a few years. Just the timing is never right. Plus I am playing with miatas now.

I would've gone in a different direction, probably with an LS based drivetrain. There are a lot cheaper ways to do the brake upgrades using junkyard style parts.

With that said, they are in California so if they basically leave the drivetrain alone, they probably can avoid the smog testing...... thats worth a few grand right there! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I understand and appreciate MM's position, it's just not my cup of tea. I also if I had the funds would top dollar for a genuine Muscle Car that has been historically restored to it's original condition. My dislike is for Retro-Mod cars from standard classics to Muscle Cars. A perfect example is the 1964-65 and the 1967-68 Mustang which can be fully operational created by buy remanufactured parts off the large after market internet stores and purchase boxed ford engines in 350-390-427-500 displacement versions with various carburatation or FI intake manifolds. I don't know how this type of car is registered in FL or other states, but in CA it has to be registered as Replica or prototype car and you have to obtain a VIN certificate before building the car. The State offers only 100 certificates per year, so the first come first served and if any request over 100 become the list for the next year.

Again that is my preference, restore a genuine classic or build a prototype or replica.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

A comment on MM's point of having to use OB2 scanners on new cars. It is my understanding that it requires much more than a simple scanner, for new cars, to diagnose issues. Standalone units can vary up to 10k. Granted, they do more than one model or manufacturer. There are a variety of computers in each car for specific functions, such as transmission, traction control, rev matching, etc. Since the systems interface with each other you need to be able to scan all computers to diagnose issues. I feel that these newer cars will not stand the test of time like a simple car from the 60s. Can you imagine trying to get a muffler bearing sensor for a 2016 Camaro 50 years from now?

Didn't see the show but, I'm not a fan of taking a classic car, that restored is valuable, and resto modding it. The only exception, to me, would be if it was already butchered. I think most 60s and early 70's muscle cars have been beat and blown up, with replacement parts being whatever was current at that time.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Morreale View Post
    A comment on MM's point of having to use OB2 scanners on new cars. It is my understanding that it requires much more than a simple scanner, for new cars, to diagnose issues. Standalone units can vary up to 10k. Granted, they do more than one model or manufacturer. There are a variety of computers in each car for specific functions, such as transmission, traction control, rev matching, etc. Since the systems interface with each other you need to be able to scan all computers to diagnose issues. I feel that these newer cars will not stand the test of time like a simple car from the 60s. Can you imagine trying to get a muffler bearing sensor for a 2016 Camaro 50 years from now?

Didn't see the show but, I'm not a fan of taking a classic car, that restored is valuable, and resto modding it. The only exception, to me, would be if it was already butchered. I think most 60s and early 70's muscle cars have been beat and blown up, with replacement parts being whatever was current at that time.
    Agreed. Saw an episode on Wheeler Dealers with Edd working on a newer Jaguar where it kept stopping into limp home mode. His scanner only gave genetic information on the problem and he to had to take it to the dealer and had to have them use their proprietary scanner to tell him he needs a new throttle body. I believe that cost about L 1,400.00. That's pounds not dollars. He happened to find a salvaged one. Like Joe said, where you going to get these sensors for theses cars 30,40, 50 years from now. For a shade tree mechanic I'll stick eith the stuff you can fix with a mechanics stethoscope.

Post Thanks / Like

"Agreed. Saw an episode on Wheeler Dealers with Edd working on a newer Jaguar where it kept stopping into limp home mode. His scanner only gave genetic information on the problem and he to had to take it to the dealer and had to have them use their proprietary scanner to tell him he needs a new throttle body. I believe that cost about L 1,400.00. That's pounds not dollars. He happened to find a salvaged one. Like Joe said, where you going to get these sensors for theses cars 30,40, 50 years from now. For a shade tree mechanic I'll stick eith the stuff you can fix with a mechanics stethoscope."

There is a very likelihood that this would be a big problem 30 or 40 years down the road, but by 50 or more years combustion engine cars will only be those of the years preceding the introduction of electronic engine control units. Gasoline will be at a premium because production will be limited. The sad true is that you guys that have NA and NB Miatas will be able to work on your cars. I as an NC owner will have to rely on Certified mechanics or Dealerships to work on my car. The average car buyer today has no interest in doing maintenance work on their car, and with the new synthetic oils and fuels 50K or more miles of trouble free driving is possible as long as the oil and filters are changed at regular intervals. A good example is my 2012 Civic it is four years old and in that time the oil, oil filter and air filter had been changed only for times meeting factory requirements of every 10K or 1 year. The ECU tells me the life span of the oil in percentages of it's life span and tells me to have the oil changed when it drops to 15%. The average car buyer replace there cars when they reach 50K, 6 years old or they start to have wear and tear repairs. The Gearheads, ReModers and all other DIYers, will not be interested in restoring, drive by wire cars with the exception of stuffing an LS V8 into it. By the Twenty-second Century and beyond electric vehicles will be used for local commutes to shopping centers and to High Speed Public Transportation Stations for intra and inter State travel. Modern day vehicles will become museum icons of the Combustion Engine Age.
    Mario E Ordonez

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=#333333
    There is a very likelihood that this would be a big problem 30 or 40 years down the road, but by 50 or more years combustion engine cars will only be those of the years preceding the introduction of electronic engine control units. Gasoline will be at a premium because production will be limited. The sad true is that you guys that have NA and NB Miatas will be able to work on your cars. I as an NC owner will have to rely on Certified mechanics or Dealerships to work on my car. The average car buyer today has no interest in doing maintenance work on their car, and with the new synthetic oils and fuels 50K or more miles of trouble free driving is possible as long as the oil and filters are changed at regular intervals. A good example is my 2012 Civic it is four years old and in that time the oil, oil filter and air filter had been changed only for times meeting factory requirements of every 10K or 1 year. The ECU tells me the life span of the oil in percentages of it's life span and tells me to have the oil changed when it drops to 15%. The average car buyer replace there cars when they reach 50K, 6 years old or they start to have wear and tear repairs. The Gearheads, ReModers and all other DIYers, will not be interested in restoring, drive by wire cars with the exception of stuffing an LS V8 into it. By the Twenty-second Century and beyond electric vehicles will be used for local commutes to shopping centers and to High Speed Public Transportation Stations for intra and inter State travel. Modern day vehicles will become museum icons of the Combustion Engine Age. [/COLOR]

http://m.youtube.comhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flge_rw6RG0/watch?v=flge_rw6RG0

Last edited by minuteman048; 12-04-2016 at 12:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, not every thing changes at the same time. And you are correct some things stay the same even when there are new and better methods of doing things. Human nature is by and large a state of comfortable complacency. A perfect example is the slogan: "Don't fix it if it isn't broken"
    Mario E Ordonez