Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Non Ethanol Gasoline

Post Thanks / Like

Non Ethanol Gasoline

I am anal when it comes to preparing for a storm/hurricane. Hurricane Charlie was my first one and I was not prepared as I should have been and just got lucky my house had little damage. I have a generator and prior to Tropical Storm Colin's approach I filled my gas jugs which will total about 32 gallons of non-ethanol 90 Octane marine gas. Ethanol gas ruins power equipment and eats carburetors and know this from experience so I always use it for my power equipment (i.e. tractor, mower, weed wacker, etc.).

Well it would take forever to use that much gas for my power equipment so I poured it into the gas tank of my new Ford F-250 which needed a fill up this weekend. I have a large message and programming center in my dashboard and usually keep it on the Fuel Economy page. It has helped me achieved better fuel economy by changing my driving habits on a vehicle which is not known for fuel efficiency.

I was shocked to find that my gas mileage has jumped 2.0 -2.5 mpg driving around Port Charlotte! I have heard that ethanol fuel was not as efficient but the reason the government is pushing it is cleaner emissions. E-85 must be even worse. The down side is non-ethanol gas is about $3.00 per gallon and not readily available. I know of three stations that sell it in my area and two close to home.

Comments?
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Non Ethanol Gasoline

You definitely lose some efficiency with ethanol vs non-ethanol. Your results of a 2+mpg gain are pretty extreme though. I crunched a few numbers and would expect something closer to 1/2mpg gain on non-ethanol vs E10. Of course it all depends on what the computer is doing and how it's handling the changes in fuel.

What's your typical mileage and the cost difference between the two? I assume it's cheaper per mile to stick with E10, but it'd be interesting to see where your break even point is.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860, E85
    2004 G35 Sedan ♦ 6sp, Uprev Osiris

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought about something else. What octane gas do you normally run? If you run 87 typically that could be a big factor. Newer vehicles are so good with adjusting their timing, going from 87 to 90 octane the truck is likely advancing timing to take advantage of the higher octane. That will get you some decent mpg gains as well.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860, E85
    2004 G35 Sedan ♦ 6sp, Uprev Osiris

Post Thanks / Like

I run the 87 octane and the non ethanol is 90 octane so I knew that made a difference. Here's the crude math:

32 gallons x $3.00 = $96.00
    32 gallons x $2.25 = $72.32

14.5 mpg x 32 gallons (E10) = 448 miles
    16.5 mpg x 32 gallons (Non ethanol) = 528 miles

528 miles - 448 miles = 84.7 additional miles

84.7 additional miles / 14.5 mpg = 5.5 additional gallons x $2.25/gal. = $12.40 additional cost

$72.32 (cost for 32 gallons E-10 ethanol) + $12.40 (addition cost for 5.5 gallons E-10 ) = $84.70

$96.00 (non ethanol) - $84.70 (E-10 ethanol) = $11.13 more to use non ethanol to cover same distance.

It's all about cost at this point.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

5. Likes pdexta liked this post
    ♘ Senior Gearhead 3000+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"It's all about cost" is the point, the higher cost of Hybrid vehicles takes 6 to 7 years to recover from the 50+ mpg gas savings. Clearly if gas prices start to increase toward the $4 per Gal will negate any savings from small increased mpg.

What is nice to know is that todays ECUs can manage various types of gas formulas.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

While I can't speak to the ethanol debate, I like to say that today is the first time in two months I finally had to buy gas for the Civic for the first time since Honda filled the tank. I know that's really hard to quantify and absent of hard figures but suffice it to say that the car is excellent at adapting to 87 octane fuel and driven every day.
    Speed is just a question of money - how fast can you go?

Post Thanks / Like

Well I used up the non-ethanol gas and am sad to say my gas mileage has dropped again. However, since I did the calculations, I know currently it is cheaper to use E-10.

Gearhead 1000+
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to start using non enthanol gas in my toys..... even perhaps my truck.

I own 5 cars, 4 of which only see about 3k miles a year. Sometimes I am doing an oil change just because its been a year......

added gas mileage would just be a bonus IMHO.