Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  31
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 1 of 29 12345611162126 ... LastLast

Thread: Just a little extra HP

Post Thanks / Like

Just a little extra HP

After 13 years of driving my car, getting beat up by minivans and the such, I've decided it's time to do something about it. I'm going to turbo.

MK turbo has a kit that is reasonable and looks to be good construction. That will be at the last item I purchase. It should be good for 200 whp or so.

There is a lot that has to be done to prep the car. I've already ordered Force flow injectors (610cc) and an AEM wide band with gauge. I have the cash waiting for Braineak to get back to me. He's a builder of the Megasquirts. I'll order the MS3x as soon as he is back from vacation.

My plan is to install the wideband, injectors and MS first. There is a huge learning curve. Hopefully by the time I can come up with the rest of the money I'll understand the gibberish that is the MS instructions.

I plan on getting the Flyin Miata clutch and installing it before turbo. This should give me enough clutch with no issues.

Then there is a bunch of "little" things. Intercooler, BOV, IAT and other stuff i have no clue about. Hopefully it doesn't take more than a year to scratch up the cash to complete project. Working as little as I do it's unpredictable how much cash will flow my way. If I could get a few good jobs like the last restaurant one I would be golden.I have a 401k I can tap into if I have to.

Lastly I am going to ask, plead & beg for anybody who knows anything about turbos and megasquirts to offer me any advice, as i know practically nothing.

http://mkturbo.com/

http://www.enjukuracing.com/products...ch-sensor.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182068179771
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

2. Likes pdexta liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just a little extra HP

Nice! Glad you're going forward with it. I'm happy to help with any questions or issues you run into.

The most difficult part of installing the megasquirt is getting your ECU out and mounting the new one, the rest is just little simple steps that can seem overwhelming at first.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I would love to help as well. The tuning I'll pass on as I'm learning myself, but anything else just let me know.

Also so it's a huge help to just look at cars that have stuff done to them already. The little things like iat sensor are super easy and well documented on mturb. Either way pdexta's car was really the first car that I got a chance to look at with a mindset of going turbo. I wanted to craw all over his car but I had to refrain. I did my best to not ask silly questions, but I know I did, and still do. I would def do a bunch different, but I'm already thinking next car . . Oh and I had to laugh when you said this was the last thing you would do. That's funny right there! Glad your taking the dive.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

All that work and modification when you can get close to that performance with a Kraftwerks Rotrex Supercharger Kit and have it installed in about 5 hours with half the plumbing and no heat issues like you get on a turbo. When the time comes I will be standing in the Suoercharger camp.

I know if you go extreme like Pdexta you can make some crazy power, but as a wise man once said, "The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long".

http://www.miata.net/products/intex/kraftwerks.html

Well Joe I am impressed. Are you doing that work under the car port? That will be an accomplishment and hope the home owners association leaves you alone.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 05-28-2016 at 03:40 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

6. Dislikes pdexta disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Superchargers have their own heat issues. They all running all the time. That's why the FFS systems have the extra injector jet, just to cool. Turbo only runs when you spool it up.

I though about a sc but it was a grand more than what I'm doing. The Kraftwerks kit only has a fuel card for tuning. I think that a standalone is best for any FI motor. With the megaquirt I'll have more control over fuel and timing. Hopefully I can get it tuned myself.

I'm not going anywhere near Pdexta in power. The MK turbo kit has 8 psi. HP to the wheels should be between 170-200 whp depending on tune. Pdexta is like in the stratosphere pumping 25 psi or so and making close to 350 whp.

I won't have money for the turbo for quite a while. This will give me a chance to experiment with the MS. With the big injectors and wideband I bet I could come up with 15 hp.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

MS seems to be too complex for most. Seems to be a lot of hit or miss. Just listening to Pdexta making numerous mapping attempts to get it right makes me cringe. The Chief sent his out to Greece. Installing those fuel cards on Jester's Fast Forward SC was simple and worked just fine. Once you Frankenstein the car and splice wires on an ECU would make it hard (in my opinion) to return it to what you had and to me reduces the value. If you are building a racing beater OK. Sorry, just my thinking and old sailors philosophy of if "It's not broke! Don't fix it!". Spooling up a turbo for me is less desirable than linear power. I'll stand my ground with a SC.

I would consider a MS if someone had a class on them instead of slugging it out myself on a slow self learning curve.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 05-28-2016 at 05:06 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean. It's going to be a rough road for me. I read some pages on setup and it is complicated. Using a matched kit with all new parts will make it a little easier. I'm not using that guy from Greece, too far away. From what I understand the MS3x is a direct plug into your stock ecu plug. No splicing necessary.

The ECU will come with a baseline tune according to my specs. At least the car will run. Besides I need to know my way around ecu programming if I'm going to play with any car that's modified. I hate it as much as I did when computers entered the graphic design field. If you didn't learn you became a dinosaur.

As r as reducing the value of the car. It's 15 years old and not worth much anyway. With a well sorted turbo setup it would be worth far more than stock. Besides I'm not selling it.

Post Thanks / Like

Minuteman, you're effectively comparing a peanut butter & jelly sandwich to a thanksgiving feast and saying the PB&J is better because it's simpler. You can install a megasquirt on the basemap and it will work "just fine", like a powercard would.

The difference is that with a megasquirt you can control everything. If your car stalls at a light with the AC on you can adjust your AC idle up settings. If your car stumbles when you smash the gas you can adjust our accel enrichments. If your car is getting a little too much or too little fuel at a particular rpm you can adjust it. If you want to raise the boost you can enable boost control. If you want to run nitrous you can enable nitrous control. If you want to run E85 you can add a flex fuel sensor. If you want to adjust your idle target values or change your warmup rpms it's just a click away. With a powercard when you have those issues you just deal with it or adjust your driving habits to get around it.

A megasquirt (thanksgiving feast) is just as complicated as you want to make it while a powercard (PB&J) is as simple as you can get and still manage to survive.

I know I post a ton about fighting with different settings and trying to get stuff working right, but it's generally not out of necessity. I do it because I enjoy it. I like to add features whenever possible, even if it does take some time figuring out what's going on.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

If that's what you like to do more power to you. I'm at that age where messing with that stuff is a hassle. I'm beginning to understand my parents where stuff I had no trouble working with and understand was a major problem for them. I am becoming a plug and play guy and am highly impressed at how you tackle this stuff. I guess this is more your generation stuff, but if I had the opportunity to learn it in a classroom environment with hands on instruction, I'm always wiling to learn.

I am analog to you guys digital.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to add that I am not a computer control guy. All those pin connections Im not crazy about and miles of small guage wire, not pretty. Hey cars ran just fine for over 80 years without them. In contrast, I tell you what I would like to tackle is a mechanical fuel injection system. In an episode of Wheeler Dealers, they were working on an old BMW 2002 (60's-70's vintage) with a mechanical fuel injection system that was leaking badly. They took it to a guy that had a cut away of it that showed how it worked. I was fascinated.

I used to work on complex stuff like this back in the Navy rebuilding these high pressure compressed air flow control manifold heads on Ingersol-Rand air compressors. Back in the 70s pneumatic controls were quite common and complex, but completely obsolete today. Mechanical stuff is my forte.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 05-28-2016 at 08:55 PM.