Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  31
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 38131823242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Just a little extra HP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just a little extra HP

I agree with Bernie You may lose some spool on the turbo as exhaust leaks out, but I wouldn't see it causing any issue.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 07-29-2018 at 09:06 PM.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

JBWeld

3. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    ✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen burned exhaust valves when there is exhaust gasket leaks around the exhaust port, but it does't happen right away. It takes a long period of neglect, exhaust particles collect along the ridges if the crack(s) and retain heat creating a hot spot.

JBWeld might be a short term fix until you get a new exhaust manifold.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Send it.

6. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am having slight temp issues at sustained speeds of 80+. I know it an air flow issue. I have a 53mm mishimoto rad with fm shroud and spal fans.

For ducting I have foam under the bumper, to direct air to the rad. The bumper support has a large hole cut in the center for upper air flow. The sides of the rad and condenser have foam over it. The undertray is extended under the rad, condenser and ic tank. The passenger side of the undertray has an inch or less gap around the ic pipe. The driver's side is pretty open but it's sealed in by the undertray and fender liner.

My temps, after an hour or so at speed will climb to 215*. I'll back off to 70 and they'll drop to 200-205 then. This is in 90+* weather with the AC on. I don't remember them rising with ac off. What is an unexceptable temp before stressing the head gasket? I can idle or cruise all day at lower speeds at 195-205.

Anybody have any ideas on what I can do to help high speed airflow?
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

Check your tune. On mine under basic settings, fan control, fan shutoff, there's a VSS shutoff (mph) that will turn your fans off above a given speed.

I was having the same issue with my ac on at highway speeds. I raised the shutoff to 90mph (which I never cruise beyond) and the problem went away.

I think I saw 250 or 260 degrees before blowing a headgasket a long time ago. I think 215 is still well in the safe range, but I don't like seeing anything over 210 or I start getting anxious.
    Scott
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Post Thanks / Like

I'm like you. When coolant gets near boiling, it makes me nervious too. My fan shut off is at 124 mph. I'll try it at 90 and see if it helps. I usually have to go far to get on 75 or 275 before I can go fast enough long enough for it to start rising.

While we're talking fans. I have mine turn on at 195* and turn off is 185*. I'm using a 180* thermostat. Do those numbers look ok?
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

That fan cutoff just shuts off your fan when you go beyond whatever speed it's set to. If it's at 124 now, dropping it lower won't help. Does the VSS readout give accurate speeds when you're driving? That could be the issue if it's cutting off too soon.

I think my fan is set to come on at 200 and off at 195.
    Scott
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Post Thanks / Like

I knew it wasn't going to be that easy. I'll have to check the vss speed but, I think it's close.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget one of the functions motor oil besides lubrication is to help maintain engine temperature of all the moving parts, when engine temperatures reach over 205 degrees the oil begins to lose viscosity and that leads to damage of all the soft metal of the crank, cam and connecting rod bearings. A properly functioning engine even under stress should remain within the thermostat operational range + 20 degrees, this is not set in stone but a general rule of thumb. Climbing engine temperatures under normal operation is an indication of problems.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.