Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I'm suddenly a one-car family...

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why I'm suddenly a one-car family...

In an earlier post about a meeting at Dean's I commented that I would be a possible attendant because I was a one-car family and promised to post the full story later. Well it is later so here are the full details of how I came to be a one-car family.

Brenda and I drove to Miami Saturday (in the 2012 Civic) to meet up with a life long Air Force buddy and his wife who had a two day lay over in Miami on their return trip from a two-week "Road Scholars" educational tour of Cuba before the flight back to Los Angeles CA.

Sunday afternoon, Brenda and I drove back home and when we where about 10 miles from Naples it began to rain and increase to full down pour as we passed the first Naples exit at mile mark 101, I began fathering the gas pedal to lower my speed as a full-sized red sedan passed us in the inside lane and then began to drift towards us.

To avoid being hit, I made a small move to my right when suddenly, the back end of the Civic lost traction and felt like it was floating to the right. I heard the traction control start to activate the rear brakes while the car began to hydroplane and dropped the right front wheel off the pavement and snapped.

The rear went around to the left and I locked up the brakes as the nose dove down the embankment I held the steering wheel in a straight direction and we plowed into a barbed wire fence with a small square wired fence bellow the four strands of barbed wire.

We were like a missile, snapping the bottom two strands of barbed wire hooked the wire fence under the bumper and hear the plastic undercarriage tearing out taking the wheel well covers off. The right front bumper glanced off a pine tree while the car veered to the left and came to a stop alongside a bigger pine tree over a sawgrass plant.

Brenda, holding the door handle, banged her elbow against the plastic side panel and bumped her right shoulder and her head against the door. We were extremely lucky to miss a huge pine tree to the left and one to the right.

All my actions were small and without panic. Brenda also didn't panic nor did she scream. She even complemented me for calm actions as I called 911 and then AllState to report the accident and our location.

A man came down to the car to check with us as he was calling 911. The NFD rescue arrived 2.5 minutes and FHP arrived 3 minutes later. Both Brenda and I commented that we felt like we were crash landing into the jungle.

I've been playing the accident over and over like video tape in the hopes I could think of what I could have done to avoid the accident. She has assured me many times that I could not have done any thing different and I did so I should not take blame and beat myself up.

I do realize, as the FHP Trooper said to me, that he had no way of determining my speed but if I had reduce whatever speed I was driving, I could have prevented hydroplaning as he handed me a ticket for driving too fast for conditions.

Because of quick reporting to my insurance the car is now in the repair shop Lehigh Acres, eight miles from my house and I am awaiting the estimate.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why I'm suddenly a one-car family...

Holy crap Mario! That is terrible!

Jana and I are glad that you and your wife are ok and able to post about it!!!!

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you are OK. That would be scary for anyone! Don't you get a rental car through your insurance?
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you are ok. That transition from pavement to grass can be deadly. You did well in your actions.

It's friggin rotten that the the cop, who wasn't there, made the determination the you were driving too fast. If it was unavoidable anything above parking it would be too fast. I hate the fact that they control your future, as far as insurance and license status, on a whim.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

🛠 Tool wench 500+
    Post Thanks / Like

Really happy you guys are ok. I'd fight the ticket though. He is making a judgement call based on circumstances he cannot foresee. You can hydro plain at any speed based on how much water Is getting dumped on you and how much wind there is. He was prob in a bad mood for having to stand in the rain.

Glad ad you guys are ok.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as fighting the ticket I'm pretty sure all you would do is be found guilty and have to pay court costs on top of the ticket. You're much better off to get one of the ticket lawyers for $100. They make the ticket go away, although you will probably have to pay court costs equivalent to the ticket.

The advantage is no record if you ever get pulled over, no record for the insurance co. to jack your rates. Even going to ticket school it stays on your record. I would spend the money and beat the ticket.

I hope the damage is repairable without any noticeable issues.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, The Trooper was apologetic for having to give me a citation, but he said loosing control and ending up off road in a raining condition is considered as driving to fast for conditions. I'm waiting for the insurance company to inform me if they are going repair the car or total it.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

On a side note, My AF buddy ended up in the hospital Sunday night with chest and back pain and was hospitalized in Coral Gables with Pneumonia. I guess the 2 weeks in Cuba trip impaired his immune system. His Wife is okay, but if they release him in the next 2 days and he's not cleared to fly, they have accepted my offer to stay with us. Fortunately they purchased Travel insurance and may pay the Hotel room rates until they are able to fly home.
    Mario E Ordonez

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Mario, I hope you didn't mind me taking your story out of Random Ongoing Chat (GROC) last night and creating a new thread for you. I just thought it too important to just be lost in a random thoughts thread.

Like everyone else, I'm very relieved you and Brenda are okay. I could just imagine how scary that was! Just to think how small movements can cause disaster is plain scary. I read a lot on the Vette forum and basically, you don't dare drive that car over 50mph on a rainy highway or else it'll fishtail out of control; and that's without sudden movements according to some unfortunate owners.

Is your Civic really repairable? Sounds like a lot of damage and costly repairs, maybe more than the car is worth. It's both disappointing and questionable that a ticket is required to be issued. Sounds like a cruel insult to injury. While I'm sure you could get it effectively reduced through the Ticket Clinic, which is great for future insurance premiums, the trouble is that you got cited for this accident that your insurance company is going to pay for.

I don't know but it seems worse going forward that you're being blamed and are culpable as opposed to an unfortunate act of God as insurance companies call it. It just seems inappropriate since the cop didn't witness it but somehow concluded it was all your fault, conveniently forgetting your own witness account that another driver improperly passed you and at least partially played a part in your accident.

Yet another unfortunate example of why cameras should be standard equipment in cars. Speaking of which, and I know you were pretty shaken up at the moment but did you take pictures of everything? The car damage? The road and weather conditions?

Anyway, glad you're okay and everything works out to your benefit.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you guys are ok. Hope the insurance takes care of you. Have you gotten any word on the car, whether it's totaled or being repaired?
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp