Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Honda Civic DD - The Easter Egg

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

RedMiata25 2016 Honda Civic DD - The Easter Egg

So after 2+ years, I finally wasn't upside down on the Mazda6 lease and with a clear imperative to start saving some money, I decided to trade in the almighty Mazda6 Grand Touring for a Honda Civic, most importantly for the $100 monthly savings in monthly payments.

Don't get me wrong, the 6 is still superior in terms of luxury but that's about it. It never had the gusto of a Mazda V6 and the iActive this and that never meant much in a 3000lb+, Japanese sports sedan. For some reason, Mazda chose the 6 platform to showcase its new SkyActiv 4 banger and then advertise it as a Euro-class canyon carver. In reality, despite its great looks, great materials, suspension and build quality, it would often be at the mercy of Kia Rio-type cars when extra oomph was needed for daily traffic maneuvering.

Dear Mazda...if you're going to call it a sport sedan and even create enthusiastic TV commercials for it, stick a V6 (or at least a 250hp-300hp 4) in it and then drop the mic. It was absolutely anemic in terms of power but was otherwise a fantastically built car in terms of materials, technology, luxury and quality. It was a great car and hard to give up.

Why a Civic? Well not just because of the hundred-dollar monthly savings and lower insurance but because of the other beast in the garage that I shall not name along with household projects that require saving some money. I needed a DD with an auto, excellent mileage and lower monthly payment. Those criteria led me to the latest lease and believe me, I looked into the Honda Fit, Mazda3 and a few other entry-level rides. The Mazda3 would have cost as much as the 6 so no savings there.

The Honda Fit was within a few dollars of the Civic so given the two, the Civic was in but kudos to the latest Fit for being an impressive candidate. Considering the ridiculous offerings from Toyota and Kia for the same price point, it was obvious the venerable Civic was the best value.

Just for giggles, I also considered the latest Miata but given it costs $15K more than the Civic and not really practical for what we need it for, I sadly had to take it off the list.

So here is the Easter Egg: a 2016, 10th generation Honda Civic EX-T (that's barely a step or two above base LX) with a 1.5L turbo 4 and direct injection in Orchid White Pearl. Why yes, she's bigger than yesteryear's Honda Accord. Given the unrelenting competition from South Korea, Honda has had to step up its game with its best-selling Civic, hence the rapid iterations in just a few years.

V-Tech yo! Err, make that "Earth Dreams," Honda's answer Mazda's SkyActiv. The itty-bitty turbo is right below the plastic intake mani at the bottom of the photo. The factory COPS are cool though.

Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 Honda Civic DD

Besides a reverse camera, It also has a nifty camera on the right-side mirror that automatically displays on the 7" screen in the center console when turning right or with a flip of a switch when desired. My question is, why not also have a driver-side mirror with the same function since you're just as likely to turn left as you would to turn right...

Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Some picts:

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

pretty snazzy for a honduh!

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Mazda would have a great sports sedan if they put in a v-6 or turbo I-4 and a 5 or 6 speed manual. I just don't understand why they wont do it? I heard they are going to add a turbo I-4 but eliminate the manual transmission for that combination Sports GT edition? Why, why, why???
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Is that the base engine now or a step above the LS? I see that 174hp, that's awesome in an inexpensive econobox. Looks like a sweet ride. I'm been pretty underwhelmed with Honda lately, I think this is the first thing that's really caught my attention in the last 10 years or so.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    Mazda would have a great sports sedan if they put in a v-6 or turbo I-4 and a 5 or 6 speed manual. I just don't understand why they wont do it? I heard they are going to add a turbo I-4 but eliminate the manual transmission for that combination Sports GT edition? Why, why, why???
    Remember the Mazdaspeed 6 from 10 years ago? It seems like you're describing that. AWD, I4 turbo, 270hp, manual, great looks. Maybe they could just bring that exact car back, it was a really nice ride. Sucks they abandon stuff like that.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

They tease you with all this stuff and then they take away the best stuff.

Yeah I remember that one. Would like to get that stuff without having to buy a BMW or Audi. Why can't Japan give us what we want.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it! Our Fam/DD car is a 2012 Civic HF which is 150+ lbs lighter than the Standard LX, 1 inch lower, lighter wheels cut to reduce drag. The engine is DOHC with two engine maps for Econ. 35/45 MPG And Perfom. 30/37 MPG.
    We are 2 month away from payoff so we are going to wait a few more years before we replace it. We've been Honda owners since 1989 and all of our Hondas were reliable with very little repair other than oil, brake pads and tires. I tried to reach 100K on my 1989 Prelude SI and snapped the Cam belt on I75 at 70 MPH. Fortunately the 16 bent valves didn't damage the Pistons or the head so new valves and cam + water pump and labor, the bill came to $2200.00.

You're going to enjoy the Civic and it will last you a long time until you are ready to buy another DD.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdexta View Post
    Is that the base engine now or a step above the LS? I see that 174hp, that's awesome in an inexpensive econobox. Looks like a sweet ride. I'm been pretty underwhelmed with Honda lately, I think this is the first thing that's really caught my attention in the last 10 years or so.
    Sorry I missed your question. The base Civic is the LX then one step up is the EX. This one is the EX-T for turbo. The base motor is a 2L NA while this one is smaller displacement but higher HP. I didn't go looking for a turbo version, just a pearl white car and this was the only one they had although it didn't seem to cost much more than their other Civics.

From there, the Civic goes up to EX-L for leather and even up to a $35K Touring version with all the bells and whistles but I wasn't interested in the same or higher payments as the Mazda6, in fact just the opposite.