Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  70
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 14192429343944495459606162636465 LastLast

Thread: Pdexta's new '00 Mahogany Mica!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pdexta's new '00 Mahogany Mica!

I'm always scared to replace non-wear items based solely on how long they've been in service. I swear I could pull out a perfectly good 20 year old high mileage fuel pump, put a brand new OEM pump in, and it'll last a week before it craps out. Mine was definitely overworked. I didn't even realize that everyone hardwires a pump as big as mine specifically to avoid this issue until I started researching it.

I've been having some issues with shifting lately. I feel like my shifter moves around a lot and I have a lot of trouble finding 3rd after revving out 2nd. I got a 5x bronze shifter bushing in today to see if it'd help. It definitely didn't fix my issue, but it did seem to firm up the shifts a bit. It's a little different from the plastic bushing, but so far I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I took the car out tonight to make a couple tuning pulls. Since I rewired the fuel pump my tune has been too rich, so I'm trying to lean it out before the dyno day and eventually I want to turn the boost up some more to make sure it's tuned at higher boosts. The cold weather makes the car a bit ridiculous. I kept telling myself the aging tires were going to crap in cold weather. When I ran the logs through virtual dyno, maybe I should cut the tires a bit of a break. It seems like the car LOVES cold. It made some crazy numbers for 17psi. My 350whp goal for dyno day looks achievable based on these numbers! 368hp/321tq on high boost!

Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

nucking futz!

I have never looked at my fuel pump wiring, but I'm only at 10 psi. Plus I am prolly on the stock pump so no real reason too

Post Thanks / Like

That's insane power. How can you even drive in traffic. Good thing you have EBC.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=pdexta;54230]I'm always scared to replace non-wear items based solely on how long they've been in service. I swear I could pull out a perfectly good 20 year old high mileage fuel pump, put a brand new OEM pump in, and it'll last a week before it craps out. Mine was definitely overworked. I didn't even realize that everyone hardwires a pump as big as mine specifically to avoid this issue until I started researching it.{/Quote}

i understand and your issue but consider my point of view. To the best of my knowledge, you have not gone on any road trips. Experience has taught me that a major failure a long way from home can cause real misery. Remember my coilpack troubles? Local garages did not want to touch my car, troubleshooting on the side of the road did not leave me with a lot of options, and at one point I had to have my car towed 80 miles to the closest Mazda dealer in South Carolina. You would not want to get on a plane that waits for parts to fail before they are replaced. If I kept my driving to the local area within 200 miles or so, I would wait also for parts to fail since I have AAA with 200 miles of included towing. Currently overhauling car over a long timeline because I want to take a major road trip some day to places like Mt. Rushmore.

As for your shifting problems, if you already replaced your motor mounts and rebuilt your shifter, the next place might be to see if the oil in the turret of the shifter is leaking down into the transmission. Is it a 5-speed? After my rear suspension overhaul, I found my bushings were in really good shape. If it wasn't for the upgrade, I would have considered the project an expensive waste of time and money. Is your PPF tight?

I think the diff mounts really have to be in bad shape before your shifting is affected. Looks like your car was well maintained before you got it. Garage kept in a warm climate. Will do some research.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 01-14-2018 at 07:47 AM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

I checked the motor mounts and they seem fine. I'll double check the ppf next time I'm under it, but I think the bolts would be falling out if it was loose. I did break one before, so maybe that's the problem. The car is a 6 speed, which can be filled from the shifter itself so the turret leaking isn't a problem.

I think you're probably right on this not being from the differential bushings. With the way they mount there's not too much opportunity for them to move around, even if they were in bad shape. Certainly nothing like the issues from broken motor mounts.
    Scott
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Found this thread on 6-speed turbo 2-3 gear shift problems. Check it out:

https://forum.miata.net/vb/archive/i...p/t-13531.html
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

So last night's datalogs got me all excited and inspired me to add another 10kpa (1.5psi). I took a log and was a bit disappointed, but I think I found the issue in my timing map. I think this is something I'll save for fixing on the dyno next month. The blue and red pulls are from last night at 210kpa (red), 220kpa (blue). The 230kpa (green) pull was from tonight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	210-220-230.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	2440

Everything goes as you would expect, more boost = more power, until around 6500 rpms where tonight pull starts to die off and actually gets passed by last night's lower boost pull.

So I look at my timing map and you can see the row of the map that both pulls are running through. The 235 row is pretty consistently 1 deg lower than the 220 row, until 6300rpms there's a 1.6 deg difference, then the 6800rpm and 7300rpm rows are both a 2.5 deg difference. It certainly looks from the log that it wants more timing up top in the high rpm rows. (Cells in question highlighted in red below)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timing.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	2441
    Scott
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Jesus H! Want to see how this correlates with the dyno.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope we get some cold weather for the dyno. I might be inclined to beg the other guys for the first run of the day before things start warming up. It feels awfully quick, and I've got a lot of faith in virutal dyno's accuracy. We shall see.
    Scott
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Scott, I'm impressed with how much you have learned about the workings of turbocharging an engine, the capacity of the 1.8. Liter Miata engine, it's ability to produce 156 hp in factory tune then installing a turbo and larger fuel injector, an advanced ECU to adjust timing, fuel flow, to increase hp up to 250-300 without having to install more durable Pistons, cam, valves, and heads. I would like to learn how to manage OEM engine be able to develope performance tunes with the limits of the OEM stock engine, to increase HP from 164 to 200 without installing a compressor, turbo or Super Charger. Is it possible by increase fuel flow, timing and exhaust headers.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.