Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather steering wheel shroud.

Post Thanks / Like

Leather steering wheel shroud.

Well... as you all know, in the past I did install a Leather Gauge Hood onto my miata.

My next step was to install a leather steering wheel shroud... but I couldn't afford the Nakamae one, so I got in touch with topgaiters from eBay and managed to convince the seller to create a new leather part for his store. He said Ok, so after some work, we are very close to have a final version.

After sending him an extra plastic shroud I had, he sent me back the first leather shroud prototype... so I could check it out and tell him where we could improve the DIY leather shroud and so far here are the first steps;

1. Leather shroud as it came "single piece" (very good quality leather, as always... and beautiful design);

2. This is how the leather shroud should come (in 2 pieces, otherwise... it's going to be impossible to put the plastic shroud with the leather back in the car);

3. This photo is from the holes you made for the mx5/miata headlight/turn/wiper switch assembly... but it should have been cutted till the stitching as shown in point 4;

4. As mentioned before... you can see that the plastic top part of the shroud has a complete open area for the mx5/miata headlight/turn/wiper switch assembly... so we should cut that area till the leather stitching edge leather shroud;

5. Cutting the area mentioned before;

6. This is the lower part of the plastic shroud, as you can see... the plastic shroud has a plastic tab and an extra leather piece should be placed the as shown in the next photo;

7. As mentioned before... extra leather part should be stitched to the lower leather shroud;

8. This part it's going to be the most complicated part of all, the hole area for the Key;

9 & 10. There isn't much leather for this area... even by having those cuts for the key hole... this should be done in another way, as we are getting short of leather and won't reach the internal edges of the key hole of the plastic shroud;

11. We should try to add a new extra piece of leather in the spotted area... so, new stitching area there (spotted area) plus new leather layer to have more leather to reach the key hole... what do you think?

Also, we need to have a perfect measurement...

The ending product should look like this;

Will add more photos of the next prototype (or final version) very soon... if the next one fits correctly, I will install it very soon.

I'm also working on having a miata leather console done, as well as some door pulls =)

Post Thanks / Like

As usual very nice and innovative. I'm sure when combined with the door pulls your new interior will be very unique and good looking.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet!

Real nice leatherwork!

A vaquero at heart?
    2000: 01+ Mani, FM VMaxx XXtreme Sport, NRG 330mm Wheel, S-Drives, R-Speed Lip, HDHCHT Rollbar, Big ass airhorns

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! :) glad to see you like this...

Not really a cowboy :rotf , just trying to create a retro sport interior... but I still have a lot of work to do :wuteva

That is great texture on that leather. I love it. Wow Tristan, you're making an Aston Martin out of a Miata. ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Yellow =) ... I've to say that the leather has a very good quality and touch, let's see when the next prototype gets here. Can't wait to install that leather shroud.

Just an appetizer for the next car leather part:

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

There is an interior mod I would love to do and I've seen it done before. I replaced my interior door panels a while back and most of you know I have a tan interior. I have seen guys get the interior door handles from a black interior and swap them in for the tan ones. With the rest of the black trim in the car it looked pretty awesome to me. Problem is they are tough to get without having to buy a set of black interior door panels to get them from. On rare occasion I have seen them for sale separately, but that was before I considered the mod. I figured the black handles won't show wear like the tans ones do especially on the passenger side that take abuse from women's nails.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Not bad idea minuteman =) ... but what do you think of this ;)

This is also on my list... when I get them done from topgaiters, I will keep you updated.

I think I have a driver side black handle with switch in the attic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048
    I figured the black handles won't show wear like the tans ones do especially on the passenger side that take abuse from women's nails.
    Holy Cow MM!

Have you got them clawing at the doors to escape?

Drive a little slower!
    2000: 01+ Mani, FM VMaxx XXtreme Sport, NRG 330mm Wheel, S-Drives, R-Speed Lip, HDHCHT Rollbar, Big ass airhorns