Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  53
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 71 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2126313641465156616667686970717273 LastLast

Thread: Thoroughly modding Minnie

Air bag 250+
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did a little research last night on Mazda Motorsports' site, those missing plugs are cheap. Went to the dealer this morning, cost was less than $4 each. Unfortunately there was only one in the GA location, the remaining stock is in TX and I have to wait a minimum of 5 days for delivery. Oh well, I'll get everything else buttoned up while I wait.

Air bag 250+
    Post Thanks / Like
    Weather is back to being wacky here, too cold to work in the garage. Horn surround for the steering wheel showed up today. I like how it looks. Here are shots of the wheel without and with the surround (that is the horn button I got from revlimiter):

I have to measure to see the length of the button head screws I will need to use the surround.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoroughly modding Minnie

If you can find them, some nice Torx bolts would look great there.
    Speed is just a question of money - how fast can you go?

Air bag 250+
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a thought. Right now I have Allen button head screws. It's a clean look.

Air bag 250+
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did some searching and found Torx button head screws from a place in the UK. I can get them in 18mm length which will just protrude from the hub (the 16mm ones are flush). Will get some here shortly.

The plugs for the head finally showed up today. There is some sort of locking agent on the threads. At first I thought it was Loctite Blue, but a close look shows it has a granularity to it and seems to be thicker. Still too cold to work in the garage but at least I have these in hand.

Also, while looking through eBay I found that there is in fact a part number for the foam piece that keeps the top latches quiet when the the top is open and they are shut. You may recall I made some myself but these will be much nicer. Put those on order from the dealer today. For anyone interested, the part number is NA01-R1-313B.

Post Thanks / Like

I substituted an thin piece of adhesive back foam. Surprised there was a separate part number for them. Thanks

I used to live in a cold climate and used a propane heater or kerosine heater in the garage. Made it comfortable enough to work in the garage.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Remington-3...ter/1000063097
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know about these obscure parts. I too would have just sourced an adhesive-backed foam. Similarly, some Vettes suffer from a rattling roof that is similarly fixed with some finesse and DIY supplies from Ace.
    Speed is just a question of money - how fast can you go?

Air bag 250+
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did make my own, but once I found out there was an actual part number for them my OCD took over.

Warmer today, so back into the garage. Started by checking the clearance on the intake valves, all were very tight. Pulled the cam and measured all the shims. Did the same for the exhaust side. Basically everything was overly tight so I am going to have to get some shims. I figured out what all I will need, going to hit the dealer tomorrow to get them ordered.

Air bag 250+
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back at it again, got the shims on order first thing this morning. This afternoon I decided to start with the steering wheel to see if the hub was going to need any modification beyond moving the turn signal cancel mechanism bushing. Amazingly, I didn't have to do anything else to get it mounted.

I haven't rigged up the airbag resistor yet, I need some smaller StaKons than what I have on hand.

Started putting things back on the engine with the intake side first. Got the manifold and injectors back on. Put the radiator hose on my reroute at the back of the engine. Installed the extended studs for the supercharger mounting bracket and tightened the remaining nuts on the exhaust manifold, only to find out one of the nuts was stripped. I am guessing that happened when I was working on getting the stock studs out of those three locations on the new head. So that put a crimp in getting anything else done today. I'll hit Ace tomorrow to see if they have a fine thread metric nut I can use. In the meantime, she's asleep for the night:

Air bag 250+
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ace let me down so it was back to the dealer. Gave the guy the part number, he typed it into the computer and then disappeared in the back. When he came back he had the five nuts I asked for in his hand. Best part? He didn't charge me for them. That made my week. Got home and used two of the nuts, that got the exhaust manifold finished. Put the manifold blanket in place and installed the supercharger mounting bracket. That was pretty much it for under the hood, as I want to leave myself as much room as possible to get the timing belt back on once the valve lash is set.

Decided to look at what I needed to do in order to connect the horn and driver's airbag resistor. Cut the wire off the factory steering wheel, added some extra length with soldering/heat shrink and then put a disconnect on the end. That should take care of the horn.

Unfortunately the resistor wouldn't fit into the airbag connector, so I am going to pick & pull tomorrow to see if I can find a blown airbag with the connector on it to use as my bypass.
    Last edited by chiefmg; 02-15-2018 at 07:47 PM.