Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Formula 1 in trouble ?

☆ Chief Gearhead 2000+ Thumper 13's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Formula 1 in trouble ?

Well F 1 fans, maybe old Bernie has reached his saturation point in appeal and ticket prices

For the first time since 1960 there will be NO race in Germany. Hockenheim ( spelling never was strong point ) could only put 55,000 fans in the seats last year and with 4 months left before this year's race they told Berne, aint gonna happen. (lousy ticket sales )

Bernie then went to Nuremburg, but , Hockenheim has a deal through 2016...race or not and objected to a Nuremburg race.........so Bernie dropped Germany from the schedule leaving only 19 races for the 2015 season

Sign of things to come ? So called experts ( not me ) site prices, lack of appeal of the new car ( noise ) as a big part of the reason. I think for my .02 people want to see something other than a Sliver Arrow cakewalk.
    Last edited by Thumper 13; 03-22-2015 at 08:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Formula 1 in trouble ?

Germans didn't seem to mind when Schumacher won every race so I don't think it's boredom with the Silver Arrows since they are, after all, Mercedes and Rosberg is German. I do agree that the sound of the new car is a real let down. Auditory enjoyment is right up there with visual but the new engines are just meh.

Nevertheless, people around the world will always weigh the cost-to-enjoyment ratio of any sporting event and vote with their wallets. If they're not buying tickets in Germany, Europe's most prospering economy, then it probably means F1 tickets are too damned expensive.

The problem is greed, not enthusiasm and the same thing is happening here with people having to take out a second mortgage just to buy tickets to a baseball game.
    Speed is just a question of money - how fast can you go?

☆ Chief Gearhead 2000+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in full agreement with you and sadly the price of tickets to all forms of racing have reach an all time high and attendance is dropping. As for F1 I'm hoping that Bernie Ecclestone will step down or the F1 board will ask him to vacate. For us old timers who love the historic European Circuits the loss of The German Grand Prix is not acceptable. RIP French GP, Netherlands GP, Portugal GP, and Imola GP
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

People watched 4 years of RED Bull domination and many years of Ferrari domination before that. I don't think it the Mercedes runaways that are the problem.

It Bernie's exorbitant fee to the track/promoter to host an F1 race that drives ticket sales through the roof and forces many middle class families to just say no. And Bernie gets the TV revenue as well! And while the French GP went away a few years ago, now the Germany GP has gone, Bernie has put the British and Italian GP's on notice. While he gets big new contracts in places like China, Singapore, Malaysia, Korea (dropped already), Russia and Turkey (dropped already). I'm not at all surprised that Germany only pulled 50K spectators last year.

Besides, I can watch it better on TV for free or a small fee. We have an F1 race in Texas and I wouldn't go if I had to pay for transportation, hotel and tickets. Your talking $800 to $1000 for a reasonable budget (airfare, a couple days in a hotel and a ticket to the show) and way more for better hotel and better seats. And I can stay home a watch it for next to nothing... I buy cable every month even if there isn't an F1 race.
    If it weren't for time, everything would happen all at once!
    08' NC GT PRHT turbo, inter-cooler, dyno'd 236hp at the rear wheels

Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree with watching it from the comfort of my own home. I worked the Rolex ( except for this year ) and had one of the best seats at the track, but watching at home was still the best !

The man who owns the game gets to make the rules...........F 1 is too expensive for me as well. I just hate to see all these great European tracks off the schedule.

Yata, you're right about the Germans and Ferrari, just remember who was driving that Fiat, some guy named Michael ( a German ).

Ron, you're right, even those new Countries, that aren't oil rich kingdoms, are in trouble of meeting Bernie's demands

Bernie has lost touch with reality, if the sport is going to continue Bernie needs to go. So, Formula 1 in trouble, I think so

☆ Chief Gearhead 2000+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The truth is we've expressed our laments and acceptance of the state of F1. In the Documentary film "1" Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosley are credited with saving F1 and raising it to the epitome of open wheel racing the world over. But their dictatorial control of the sport have led to many of the problems and directions F1 has travel and experienced to this day. If all forms of major sports follow the road to exclusive delivery events via TV the joy and excitement of attending a live event will be lost. I for one value attending a live even and will continue to do so. It is costly and I forced to be selective. I make fun of those choices as being my bucket list items. I hope to attend the USA F1 GP at COTA if not this year then 2016.

I notice that 12 Hrs at Sebring this year the attending fans fell into two distinct groups, the well heeled youth 21-30 and the securely retired 65-85 in the minority were young and middle age families. Absent were young under employed or low wage earners who came to drink large amounts of beer party rowdy and leave a huge pile of garbage that I noticed at previous past events. No more open fires around the campsite, no arms, and no more fireworks. Clearly the total number of attendees has dropped.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to what a former F1 driver thinks about trying to 'equalize' Mercedes back to the rest of the pack.

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/55667...o-rein-in-Merc
    If it weren't for time, everything would happen all at once!
    08' NC GT PRHT turbo, inter-cooler, dyno'd 236hp at the rear wheels

Post Thanks / Like

There is simply no reason to penalize Merc. They have $$$ the other teams can only dream of having. Either Merc is cheating............ ...WHICH I DOUBT..........or F 1 has got to put a stronger ban on investment if they want to hold the Silver Arrows back. Either way, it sucks for the sport.

F 1 is in trouble because as I stated Bernie has lost touch with reality, bordering on senility. Loosing all of these European tracks to Oil Rich Middle East nations and Countries with more $$$ than brains is not looking good for the future. They have to real in spectator costs as well as sponsor costs or they will fall into the same trap Nascar is in.