Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honda takes all the wraps off 306 hp Civic Type-R

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Honda takes all the wraps off 306 hp Civic Type-R

Honda takes all the wraps off 306 hp Civic Type-R

Honda has finally fully unveiled its latest entry into the competitive world of hot-hatches, with the launch of the Civic Type-R. Powered by a turbocharged 2.0-liter VTEC motor, the new hot-Civic has already claimed the title of fastest front drive production car around the Nurburgring Nordschelife from Renault, and Honda is also claiming that the car is the quickest front-drive hot-hatch in the sprint to 100 km/h.

The Type-R is the first Honda to be fitted with the brand’s new 2.0-liter VTEC turbo engine, which produces 228 kW (306 hp) at 6500 rpm. The big change over the old, naturally aspirated Type-R is the engine’s torque: whereas the old car produced its 193 Nm at a lofty 5600 rpm, the new car puts out a thumping 400 Nm from just 2500 rpm thanks to the move to turbocharging.

The new Type-R’s performance is also in another league to that of its predecessor. The 0-100 km/h (62 mph) sprint takes just 5.7 seconds, and top speed is capped at 270 km/h, quicker than the Renault Megane R.S 275.

The Type-R on the floor at the Geneva Motor Show

While the Type-R’s pace is arresting, the first thing most people will notice about Honda’s new hot-hatch is the styling. The Civic’s wild aero package includes a huge rear wing designed to provide maximum downforce without causing significant drag, while the front bumper has been designed to reduce turbulence around the front wheels for better high-speed stability. The Type-R’s underbody is almost fully flat too, helping to suck the car onto the road at higher speeds.

The whole package sits on lightweight 19-inch wheels wrapped in 235/35 tires developed specifically for the Type-R, while four piston Brembo brake calipers clamp on 350 mm drilled discs at the front wheels.

Lightweight alloy wheels are a part of the Type-R package

To keep the Civic Type-R stable under heavy acceleration and braking, Honda has equipped it with a brand new adaptive damping system that's also claimed to allow for a comfortable ride around town. Because all of the Type-R’s power is sent to the front wheels, Honda has worked hard to curb torque steer – the car’s new Dual Axis Front Suspension system has been designed to reduce torque steer by 50 percent compared to the system on tamer Civics. At the rear, the new Type-R makes use of a torsion beam system.

Drivers can modify the behavior of the car’s power delivery, electric power steering dampers by pressing the car’s +R "racetrack" button.

Inside, the Type-R’s interior design doesn’t stray far from the formula set by fast Hondas of the past. Suede-effect trimmed sports seats and a machined aluminum gearknob are both cues that featured on the last car.

Honda claims the Type-R is the fastest front-drive hot-hatch to 100 km/h
    The Type-R will go on sale in Europe this summer with a starting price expected to be around £30,000. A GT Pack that adds red exterior highlights, parking sensors and an infotainment upgrade is set to feature as an optional extra.

Below is a video of a Type-R development car setting its record Nordschleife lap time.

Source: http://www.gizmag.com/honda-civic-ty...details/36488/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Honda takes all the wraps off 306 hp Civic Type-R

That reminded me of this article I saw a few weeks ago: 8 Supercars that are SLOWER around the Nurburgring than the Civic Type-R

It looks to be seriously impressive, it's too bad fwd sucks so bad. This would be an EVO/STI killer in AWD.

Also for you 'MERICANS, I did a little math: 270km/h top speed / 1.609 = 168mph. That's moving pretty good in a stock car. That's what my CBR600RR topped out at
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

Post Thanks / Like

Two questions:
    1) Will it be sold in the US?
    2) What's the sticker price?

I like the performance, but I'm really not a fan of FWD and I'm not crazy about the styling as I see it in photos. Maybe if I saw one in person it would be better.
    If it weren't for time, everything would happen all at once!
    08' NC GT PRHT turbo, inter-cooler, dyno'd 236hp at the rear wheels

💫 Chief Gearhead 2K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Not crazy at all about FWD................. .I am certainly glad I didn't recently buy a Mazdaspeed 3. I agree with Scott about EVO in trouble, but it is odd to see a Honduh with HP in the 6500 rpm band. Generally we see Civics running close to 9K stock and on the race track they habitually run 11,000 +rpms.

Shea Holbrook will have a new toy for W.C. I wonder if she'll get one before the season is over ????

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe it will be sold in the US. But going forward I read Honda is doing all turbocharged engines going forward.
    10' True Red NC - PRHT - RS cat-less header - RS mid-pipe - extend O2 plug - flash tuned by Moto-East - DBA 4000s slotted rotors - HPS Hawk pads - SS brake lines

💫 Chief Gearhead 2K+
    Post Thanks / Like

According to some insiders, who are generally correct, the Type R is currently being produced to meet US specs and should be available here in 2016. Get your several thousands above suggested retail ready though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jawolf518 View Post
    I don't believe it will be sold in the US. But going forward I read Honda is doing all turbocharged engines going forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 13 View Post
    According to some insiders, who are generally correct, the Type R is currently being produced to meet US specs and should be available here in 2016. Get your several thousands above suggested retail ready though.
    I've been hearing rumors about Honda and turbo or supercharged offerings for a few years now, I guess I'll believe it when I see it.
    If it weren't for time, everything would happen all at once!
    08' NC GT PRHT turbo, inter-cooler, dyno'd 236hp at the rear wheels

Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think that car is ugly but I'm fascinated at 300+ HP from a 2L.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

it doesn't surprise me that will be marketing turbo cars in the very near future. They want to recover the investment and research on the F1 engine with turbos, kentic energy recovery and electric motor. I've owned two Si Honda Preludes, with a little effort I adjusted my driving style to enjoy driving them.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

300HP is also ridiculous for a FWD car no matter how much technological Band-Aids thrown at it but it might hint at another S2000. My frustration is with Mazda and its goofy insistence on less than 200HP for the MX-5. That car should start with 200 at a minimum. Its ugly, econobox Speed3 cousin already had nearly 300HP for some reason I still don't get. To get to Wal-Mart faster?