Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Road Trip

Did not get to Boone this year and getting some white line fever. College is closing down for winter break this Thursday until January 5th so I'm thinking about a run to Key West. Been there by ferry from Fort Myers but never drove and saw the other keys. Will be monitoring the extended weather forecast. Want to drive there with the top down.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

💫 Chief Gearhead 2K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Road Trip

Top down, no problem, that's why you have a heater in the car. If it gets really cold, put the windows up and wear a hat.

Having made the drive several times, plan to stop in Islamorada then a L O N G boring straight run to Key West. If you were Bobo or me, you'll have a grand time in the passing zones. If you ain't doing 100+ mph , oh well................ .......Have fun in Key West ( remember it is probably too cold to eat at the Garden of Eden ( shrinkage )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 13 View Post
    Top down, no problem, that's why you have a heater in the car. If it gets really cold, put the windows up and wear a hat.

Having made the drive several times, plan to stop in Islamorada then a L O N G boring straight run to Key West. If you were Bobo or me, you'll have a grand time in the passing zones. If you ain't doing 100+ mph , oh well................ .......Have fun in Key West ( remember it is probably too cold to eat at the Garden of Eden ( shrinkage )
    MM, the History of Diving Museum is worth a look and it's in Islamorada.

http://www.divingmuseum.org/

They have a number of interactive displays and lots of very cool exhibits including a number of all metal, full body, deep diving suits.

Elaine and I spent a couple of hours there. We go to the Keys 3 to 5 long weekends every year. 90% to snorkel and 10% to relax. We take 75 over to US-27 and then 177th down to Homestead. It's a much better drive than thru Miami with 6 lanes of crazy drivers and stop and go traffic! We rarely get down to Key West except when we take the Freedom Express ferry out to the Dry Tortugas. Here's hoping for some good warm weather for you!
    If it weren't for time, everything would happen all at once!
    08' NC GT PRHT turbo, inter-cooler, dyno'd 236hp at the rear wheels

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 13 View Post

I have no problem with heh temperature, its rain that I don't want to run into.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been to Key West since about 1996.I went with my wife by boat from Naples. Seas got rough and we had to take an 8 hour bus trip home, uugh! My previous trip was in the early 1980s before they put in the cruise ship docks. I couldn't believe how much the town changed with the advent of the cruise ships. I was so disappointed. The town had become a haven of cheap t-shirt shops and junk tourist stuff with scooters and traffic like there never was. I miss the old laid back drunken city that used to be Key West. At least the chickens and cats were still there wandering all over the place when I was there last.

I like to fish and all along the southern keys has some of the best fishing and best seafood you could want. Have a conch chowder for me.

Take your trip Mr. MM. I hope you enjoy yourself. You deserve it. It sure ain't Boone though.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    Did not get to Boone this year and getting some white line fever. College is closing down for winter break this Thursday until January 5th so I'm thinking about a run to Key West. Been there by ferry from Fort Myers but never drove and saw the other keys. Will be monitoring the extended weather forecast. Want to drive there with the top down.
    I'm game, are thinking a one or two night layover? If you want a scenic drive perfect for top down driving. I suggest we meet at the exit to Daniels Parkway Rest stop then head east on Daniels to 82 then south on 29 to 41 east to Homestead and south to Key West. It's not the fastest way; but you can save the toll cost and boring drive of Alligator Alley.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Still have to figure out the logistics and what days would be best. Probably right after Christmas. Will post when have info.

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Last time I was there was during some training with the Coast Guard in Islamorada in 1986. I remember Key West from that era like Joe.

Post Thanks / Like

When you have more info let me know. I would love to make a drive down and I know my little brother would ride with me!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go, but my wife would make me take the Scion xB loaded up with snorkel gear and our inflatable dingy. And we'd never make it to Key West, we'd stop ne Bahia Honda State Park, get in the water and would leave until it was time to head home!
    If it weren't for time, everything would happen all at once!
    08' NC GT PRHT turbo, inter-cooler, dyno'd 236hp at the rear wheels