Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formula E

Post Thanks / Like

Formula E

Have you guys heard about this new series? The first race is on Fox Sports 1 at 1pm and repeated later in the week. The Formula E website is kind of interesting. There are about 16 entries, some by big name teams like Andretti and Virgin. I recognize the names of at least 2/3rds of the drivers. Many are ex F1 pilots and a few current Indy Car drivers. The race is in the streets of Beijing, China. They all have the same Dallara chassis, with the same electric motor and battery. The battery weighs 700 lbs and is made by Williams F1.

I have no idea how much fun they will be to watch, but I'll be tuned in. And the series comes to downtown Miami in March 2015. Maybe a future Dawn Patrol?

Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Formula E

I haven't heard of it until now so I'll be sure to give it a look today. Took me awhile to find FS1HD on Prism (1620) and it's scheduled for only an hour so it's already happened and this is an edited-for-time recording.

I like the idea of caravaning to a race too. We do have an Indy car race in St. Petersburg which would be great to go to if we can get enough interest.
    Speed is just a question of money - how fast can you go?

♘ Senior Gearhead 3000+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

FS1HD is CH 450 on Comcast (xfinitytv)
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Very disappointing. The cars look slow and sound terrible. I could only watch a few minutes before the sound became too irritating to bear.

♘ Senior Gearhead 3000+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The first thing that came to mind was they sounded like slot cars, daaah that's because they are big slot cars. The second thing was some of them couldn't even get started for the parade lap. Then finding out that the race was only 25 laps and they had to change cars because the batteries wouldn't last. I say this without disrespect to the drivers because of their history in F1 and GP2-3; but my initial reaction to the drivers was "Wantabes, has-beens, also rans and Sons of old drivers. However, I watched to the end only to see Nico Prost (son of Alain Prost head butt Nick Hinesfeld to keep him from winning sending him into the air. Sadly FS1HD channel switched to Monster trucks before there was any podium or reaction to Nico's sportsmanship.

Before I watch or attend an E Formula race the cars have to have batteries that allow them to finish without changing car and if not then have two sprint races and invert the field for the second race.

I don't think race fans are ready to embrace Electric Race cars.

Who watched and who stayed to the end?
    Last edited by SmileyFace; 09-14-2014 at 02:40 PM.
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of big names and big money, yes but it sounds like an radio-controlled car meet at the mall parking lot.

Despite the great Olympic venue, the televised show production was really bad with abrupt jumps to commercials or sports updates. I bet if they polish the production like F1, it might attract some more viewers.

Great crash at the end.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that car-swapping in the middle of the race was funny, perhaps even a little sad.

☆ Chief Gearhead 2000+
    Post Thanks / Like

With the advent of the autonomous electric cars being tested in San Francisco ( co pilots to make sure the cars don't lose their collective minds )BMW's expected future of the automobile F1 may become the Word's largest and fastest slot cars.

Long Live Dino fuels

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Long live Dino Fuels indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

I could get past the sound of the cars, after all, not that different than the Showroom Stock racing I did back in the day. But the TV production was awful! They tried so hard to get sound from the track that they ended up getting a lot of ambient white noise and then they made it so loud that you could hardly hear or understand the announcers. The cars are slow, but they do appear to be pretty twitchy in the corners making it a bit more fun to watch. Maybe using better tires (aka slicks) and they would do better. The track layout was awful as well. Way too many 90 degree turns and chicanes, especially for such slow cars. Maybe on a real track they would be more fun to watch? How about a 15 lap sprint race at Sebring? The pit stop car change was laughable. They carry a 700lb battery and can't do a full race distance? Yikes. That isn't promoting electric cars, it's mocking them! However, the total pit stop time was very close among most of the teams. I just kept saying to myself, I bet if a good driver had a Tesla he could have won the race!

For a short race on a narrow and tight city street track, there was a fair amount of passing. The wreck at the end was pretty spectacular and Heidfeld was lucky to escape uninjured.

All in all, I'm not sure if this is an event that I should laugh at or cry about, as it was pretty bad. I'd rather watch a SM race at Sebring.
    Last edited by Ron Reefman; 09-15-2014 at 05:16 AM.