Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New leather covers for NB surfboard seats

Post Thanks / Like

New leather covers for NB surfboard seats

My original 01 seats are toast. I''ll posts pics of them soon. I've been looking for a good deal on leather cover. I found this on Ebay,
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/161366129101...S:1123&vxp=mtr

I looked him up, he has sold some other seats and they seem to go for as low as $275-$300. I think I'm going to cap my bid at $300. With other leather covers going over $600 I think it would be a great deal. If I don't get them, he should list them again. He has 99+ & '01+ seatcovers.

Has anybody here dealt with him? He told me the seats are from Australia but he ships from Texas.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

💫 Chief Gearhead 2K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New leather covers for NB surfboard seats

I have some issues with leather seat covers and they are Frito Man's fault. One a past trip to Boone where the site of MM was being tossed from side to side because of the leather seats was bad, but to make matters worse we could even hear him grunt and I swear after his music stopped one could hear a fart as he bounced from one side to the other.

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be good to know if these work out.

Is this going to be a DIY writeup or product review?
    Last edited by Agent☣Orange; 07-16-2014 at 11:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

As it goes along I'll take pics and make it a DIY write up. That is if I get the covers for my price. Katskins seem to running somewhere around $625-$650 and I can't swing that. I need foam cut for the driver's seat as well.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    '90 Red w/Gold Stripe
    Post Thanks / Like

Please post Joe, I am looking at leatherseats.com @$499.00, I stopped by Nick's custom trim per MM's suggestion and he wanted a grand! :ouch ani: That was installed. I am thinking it can't be that hard to put seat covers on. I am going to email your guy and see if he has NA covers.
    Paul
    Slightly customized Red '90

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Im guess that leather treatment job you did does not hold up.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048 View Post
    Im guess that leather treatment job you did does not hold up.
    Nah, the cracks came back. I'm pretty sure it was my prep work because a friend of mind has done several cars with success. The seats I worked on were ''99s. I want to put the surfboard seats back in.

Post Thanks / Like

Some pics of the seats I'll be recovering. You can see where part of the seat frame ripped through the foam and made a hole in the leather. I am thinking about wrapping this piece with a piece of neoprene or covering it with a rubber line slit to fit. When I get my new foam made I'll ask the upholsterer if gluing a piece of burlap and the bottom of the foam will help prevent this from happening again.

Moderator feel free to move this to DYI section as I will post as I go along.

The covers I'm trying to get on ebay went for $331 last time. I had a bid for $325. I'll go up to $375 and hopefully I'll win the bid with less than that. The next auction ends on Thurs. about midnite.

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Joe I just this minute clicked on the ebay link you posted and the seat covers sold for 331.52, are you the lucky bider?
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

⚠️ Probationary 1-4
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a set of these for my '99. The color is close enough because between all the types of plastics and other stuff that are tan in the car, they will work fine. The leather quality is better than the poor quality stock leather, but definitely not Katskins. BUT they aren't priced like Katskins either.

I would say that are worth $327 shipped. I put a max bid of $399 but no one outbid me when I reached the reserve, which is $299. I would bid $299 only because RIGHT NOW you can buy them for $299 plus $28 shipping. I bought mine about three weeks ago so unless your in a hurry you can get them for $299.

I did my own frame up resto mod with new carpet and new canvas top as well as a multitude of other things. I'm going to tackle these seats as well. Bought the hog rings and pliers set off EBAY and when I'm ready I going at it. I'm going to repaint the seat rails and bolts as well. My inside looks brand new.

I too redid the leather with the dye and sealers and sandpaper and all that stuff and made them look new. Too bad it was my first time because I know they won't last long due to my inexperience in some areas. Thus the reson for the new leather covers