Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Christmas WIsh

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

A Christmas WIsh

To my fellow Gearheads,

Another year has come and gone and Im thankful for the experiences I shared and friendships I have made. My family life is very complicated and for the last several years my son and daughter have given much grief and sorrow, however life goes on. My participation in our little informal club has given me a distraction and release from my troubles and a source of purpose to direct my energy and something else to focus on with the highlight being my trips to Boone NC. Most of you are easy to get along with while others offer more of a challenge, nontheless it keeps me going.

I will address each of you and thank you for your part in my life:

Yellowyata:
    Thanks for helping me solve some really bad technical problems. Without you I would have probably given up on the car. You have a real technical gift and the patience to find and solve a problem.

Boris:
    What can I say about you other than you are unique. You look at things differently and find different ways to do things and solve problems. Your posts are entertaining and you come across as hard and uncompromising, but deep down you have a heart. When I was limping home from Boone in 2012 you were real close to hitching up your trailer and coming to get me and bring me home. A sincere thanks.

Jester:
    The family man. Learned a lot and revived a lot of mechanical skills from workiing on your car installing that supercharger, upgrading your suspension, and swapping out an engine in the heat of August being rewarded with an oil bath. Sometimes I felt annoyed that you could not participate in more club activities, but respected the fact that family must always come first. I would always remember the days when my kids were young and that was the rule in my house also.

Joe:
    Always one of the guys you can count on to help out a fellow member. Always one of the guys who drove the furthest for a meet. You are one of the early members and will always be a foundation for the club.

Thumper:
    Oh Thump, Thump, Thump. Got to love you but you can sure stir up a hornets nest. Understand in your youth you saw and did things that nightmares are made of. Thank you for your service and my gratitude for things to this day you can't speak of. Thanks for letting me drive with you in the early days of the kamikaze runs and making me an honorary suicide jockey. My thoughts are I think I earned it by keeping up in a stock car with a worn out suspension. I am glad I was able to introduce you these great mountain roads and introduce you to some great people.

2001SE:
    Todd, we come from the same generation and see eye to eye on a lot of things. Was glad to bring you into the club and impressed how fast you picked up working on these little cars. You started out with a mint 2001 and decided to pick up a 99/00? and do all the big maintenance items yourself. Kudos! Thanks for the confidence you had in me to consult me and standing your ground on things you did not agree with within the club. You are truely an honorable man.

Pdexta:
    If we all had to pick fraternity pledge names, yours would be "Rocketman" from the song by Elton John. Was never more impressed by how fast your 1999 10AE was and the patience and expertise by putting in the time and money to make it that way. If there was mourning for a car I mourned for when you lost that car, but was glad you were OK. I admire your patience and perseverance in trying to duplicate that car with that NA you now have. Hope to get to know you better and my hat's off to you.

White Knight:
    My old friend. We both came to Florida about the same time over ten years ago and met at church. We both consoled each other during out tragedys and also had some good times with our families. Glad you were able to get you own Miata and know you have enjoyed it and glad you decided to keep it. Will help you get it the way you want it when you are ready.

WolfTDI:
    The Independent. Also highly respect your skills as a mechanic and you technical abilities as seen by what you have shared with us, especially your transmission bearing replacement/repair. Your driving skill are awesome as I trailed you on the Snake and respect your position of going your own way. A lot of times I just want to do things myself. Appreciate your contributions to the club and giving up a Sunday to help finish Bobs engine swap. Kudos.

Bobpgfl:
    The Rebel: Not crossing the yellow lines was not in your vocabulary until you went to Boone and saw the light. Felt I really got to know you and was overjoyed when you told me you had an awesome time at Boone this year. Of all the drivers in this club you scared me the most, even more than Thumper. You must lack that fear gene especially with high performance driving on low performance all season tires. Glad you car was not severely damaged on that Diamondback run.
    P.S. You have a great family.

Gazorman:
    You are the man! After four years turning Miatas in Boone into a major event with people coming from all over the eastern US and Canada. Every year I got to know you a little more and thank you for opening up a whole new source of friends. Never met a more finer bunch of people. Thanks for your devotion to this event and wish I could get up there more often.

D-Rail:
    The New Guy. In your short time with the club you have already contributed oceans more than some guys who have been here a lot longer. Enjoying getting to know you, but we already have bonds being that we both served in the Navy that none can understand unless you have experienced military service. Was glad to hear you and Cindy were not seriously injured in that accident with that drunk.

Stormy Blue:
    Although we do not hear that much from you, the times you participtaed in club events gave me the impression that you are a great guy. Also was sad when your blue MX5 was totaled, but glad to hear when you and your wife were OK. Another Navy veteran, I salute you Senior Chief and thank you for your service.

Tristan:
    Our Spaniard Member. Have not heard from you in a while and hope you are well. You gave our club an international flavor and impressed you would come all the way from Spain to attend Miata events. Hope you give us an update soon.

MX5er:
    You left us for the Rocky Moutains a couple of years ago and last we heard you were coming back. Give us an update if you don't mind. Your big contribution was showing us the way to extend the Dawn Patrol all the way to Sebring. Hope to hear from you again.

I think thats everybody. There were a few other guys who hung around a bit and then never heard from again or just pop in and out at random. Their loss.

The club has experienced changes, but I hope we can make it better and hope you will share my optisizm.

Hope everyone had a good year and will have a better one next year. Wish to extend my best wishes from me and my family. Merry Christmas to all, and a Happy Prosperous & Safe New Year.

And remember, as brother Gazorman has preached:

Though shalt not cross the yellow lines!
    Last edited by minuteman048; 12-25-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

💫 Chief Gearhead 2K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Christmas WIsh

Well Said !

My Christmas wish is for health and happiness to us all. These are trying times for everyone , but there is always Bernie to kick around with that never missing grin. Even in the worst of times you kept you're positive outlook.

Thank You for introducing me to roads God himself/herself built for Miata drivers

May the spirit of the holiday fill us all with the true meaning of Love For our Fellow Man. ( you too Wolfie ;) )

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

:santasleigh2:
    :happyholidays:
    :merrychristmas:
    :gift:
    :gift:
    :xmaslol:
    :xmaslol:
    :santac:

Post Thanks / Like

That's the most I've read in months. I don't know most of the people listed, but I know the one's I have met or conversed with have been quality individuals. I truly appreciate Bernie laying it out like this. 2013 was the most mixed-bag of my life. My daughter graduated college and got married, I changed jobs, and my wife was diagnosed with cancer - TWICE! I hope more of you have a chance to get this way, even (or especially) if it's not for MiB. I really like your area, too - it just never seems to work out with family obligations that I can "choose" where I take my vacation time.
    Happy New Year to you all. I know I'm ready for a nice, uneventful year.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for those individual kind words minuteman048!! :)

I wish, you all had wonderful Xmas!, and I wish you a Happy New Year 2K14! :)

I look forward to come once a year to meet you guys!, and I'm sorry for not stopping as often, as I used to @ GHMC.net! but will do my best this coming year.

All the best amigos!! Un abrazo.

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

A Christmas WIsh

Just getting caught up on some missed posts. This was a really nice summary and I enjoyed reading it!

I appreciate you always being there for everyone with a suggestion and an offer of a helping hand! I loved living close to you and just hanging out when I was rebuilding the engine!

I have not piped up about some of the drives/events recently because I am debating parting out the car and bringing it back to stock to sell it. You mentioned family man... That is why. I just don't have time for it anymore... My daughter is in activities after school, and more and more I find time is at a premium, and I just don't find time to drive it or tinker with it anymore. My son and I were looking at some old cars the other day, and he got really excited because one had 4 seats.. He said if we had it, we could all go out on drives! Kind of melted my heart because I don't take him out in the Miata because it doesn't work with his big car seat. Nothing is decided, but I am leaning towards just taking off some of the nice bits (sc, rollbar, wheels) and selling it all.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

You, me and Jack started the club and I remember how gung-ho you were. Sad to see you faced with this decision. So what's it going to be? Mustang? Camaro? Something bigger?
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

It has been fun and I know I will be back in a miata in the future....just doesn't make sense to hold onto it and not drive it. It will take me a week or 2 to get the space in my dads workshop to start the tear down. But the poor Miata is just sitting in the garage with a dead battery again from sitting so long again.

I want to do a kit (factory five 818, etc)...but no time and I will end up in the same position. So that will have to wait til the little guy gets older and we can do it together. For now I am thinking of putting a little money on top of what I get for the miata and parts, and getting something classic (50's-early 70's). Something with a/c and a backseat that the whole family can enjoy.

I'll still be on the forum and document the tear-down, and still hang out afterwards...even though I wont have a miata I still love them!

Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry J, it's more about the community than the car. Hell, I'm in between Miatas myself but I wouldn't want to pass up on some of the best folks I've ever met here like you, MM and Joe. (still debating Thumper). Jack and Dave are good old Miata salts and now we're lucky to pick up Drail.

MM, some beautiful words up there. I really admire your strength and dedication to family and this little distraction we call a Miata club. You're the glue that somehow holds this ragtag, fleeting community together. Without you, I wouldn't even bother coming back.
    Last edited by Agent☣Orange; 01-02-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Christmas Wish

Thanks all. I am somewhat sad that we are losing members and cars. Here's a rundown of where we are:

Jack - Stalled on his V8 conversion due to health problems. Car has been off the road about 2 years. Was supercharged. Original member.

Dave - Sold his Supercharged car. Getting up in years and eyesight not so good anymore. Original member.

MX5er - Moved to Colorado. Introduced the Sebring Dawn Patrol run. Missing in Action.

Bobpbgfl - Moved to Tennessee and Miata road heaven. One of the original Flying Circus white knuckle drivers.

MMMX5 - Just plain missing in action. Think he is being held prisoner by his wife.

Yata - Owned the club flagship. Moved up on the performance level. Still with us and chief trouble shooter.

Jester - Last of the supercharged club cars. Soon to be dismantled and sold. Practicality unfortunately prevails. Original member.

Thumper - Soon will pass into public road exile by his wife to keep him alive.

Wow, that's eight cars. That was the minimum we had at the height of the Dawn Patrol runs. No wonder I can't get the participation anymore. So, alas. It is what it is.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 01-03-2014 at 08:52 PM.