Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Window Jammed

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Window Jammed

Ok, two days without anyone posting. That's pathetic! Im so glad your cars are running so well and you are not breaking down or having problems. Ok, so I guess I will give you guys something to read.

Took the car to work today and when I went to open the drivers window it only went down a quarter of the way and sounded like something was binding. Great, I hate working inside of doors especially with that windshield adhesive on the plastic matting. Figured I might have to install those window guides I had ordered from Roadster ages ago.

Opened up the door and peeled that plastic off (yuck!) but nothing obvious so I went online to get a few ideas. To make a long story short there is a rod between the inner door and the window glass secured with one of those push pins from the inside out. Well that broke and the rod was getting caught on the window glass on the way down. God! How am I going to fix this? Technically I would have had to remove all the hardware to replace that push pin because it passes all the way through the rod and does not snap in. Some of the stuff I read used zip ties....hmmm.

Got an idea. drilled two holes on each side of the pin, passed a heavy zip tie through, tightened and voula! Problem solved.

The zip tie is holding the push pin at about the 9:00 position.

Spent an hour getting that adhesive off the door and used half a roll of paper towels and half a can of WD-40. Ordered a replacement plastic film. There were only two left for the drivers side and one for the passenger in the whole country. I got one of each just in case I have to do the passenger side. It will be a lot cleaner installation and will probably use 3M double stick tape and some other adhesive to seal and waterproof it.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

2. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Window Jammed

Zip ties are the duct tape of this millennium. Working inside the doors is never fun. Is that the rod going from the inner door handle to the outer handle? If so you CAN unclip it from the inner handle easier than from the outer one.
    2000: 01+ Mani, FM VMaxx XXtreme Sport, NRG 330mm Wheel, S-Drives, R-Speed Lip, HDHCHT Rollbar, Big ass airhorns

Post Thanks / Like

The black goop from hell sure makes working inside the door a real pita. Good thinking on the zip tie fix. Most of the zip tie fixes that I had read about was for the clip that holds the cable. Good to see someone posting. My car has been parked since dawn patrol. I'll take it to Kissimmee Saturday. Boring ride.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't think so. It runs from the window motor to the other end of the door. The original owner had keyless entry put into it and it has something to do with locking the doors when the windows go up.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

💫 Chief Gearhead 2K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Morreale View Post
    The black goop from hell sure makes working inside the door a real pita. Good thinking on the zip tie fix. Most of the zip tie fixes that I had read about was for the clip that holds the cable. Good to see someone posting. My car has been parked since dawn patrol. I'll take it to Kissimmee Saturday. Boring ride.
    What's kicking in Kissimme this Saturday ?

Post Thanks / Like

2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Koni SRTs - Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Got my factory plastic internal door covers today and installed the drivers side with 3M Double Stick Tape. A lot cleaner install than that black goo they use from the factory. Hell probably uses it for fire and brimstone. Will keep the passenger side cover in storage if I ever have to do that side.

Deep state actor ☚☻☛ Agent☣Orange's Avatar
    Drives
    Lilí red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who's worked on a Miata knows about the dreaded black tar haha.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

For future fun, I just cut the plastic leaving the tar unmolested and than just tape the shait back in when I'm done working on the door.
    Have done it on countless cars.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    For future fun, I just cut the plastic leaving the tar unmolested and than just tape the shait back in when I'm done working on the door.
    Have done it on countless cars.
    Whenever I worked on the door internals, I always got that stuff on my clothes, or shoes or somewhere and dragged it into the house and had to withstand the wrath of my wife. I hate that tar stuff. You my friend think differently and that's OK for you.