Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  85
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 126 of 131 FirstFirst ... 267681869196101106111116121122123124125126127128129130 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1303

Thread: What did you do with your Miata today?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do with your Miata today?

Pdexta says that VD can sometimes give an anomaly of hp spike right before redline. Gaining 70hp with 2psi of boost isn't reasonable. Told me to tune fuel and take more logs. I shouldn't blow it up. Crossing fingers.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

I set the mbc to 11 1/2 psi. I was afraid to push it until I took a log and got these results. It puts me close to the 200whp mark that I was looking for. It also gives me plenty of room for better tuning without pushing the motor. I think I'm leaving it here.

2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Woohoo, much better! We have to have a 200hp party for you when you get there stably.

Post Thanks / Like

Did some auto tuning. I have to get the AFRs smoothed out though. I think I'm going to have to turn the boost down a bit. If it's cooler, I over boost. Cooler air=more oxygen=more boost. I have my cutoff at 12psi. Being now set at 11 1/2psi is too close. Besides I don't want this much hp. It's too far at the limit for my rods. Having the boost controller is a blast. It gets full boost now at 4k rpms.

Post Thanks / Like

The graph is showing you below 10:1 afr between 3600-4300rpms and above 6600rpms (squiggly line in the bottom of the graph). I'm not familiar with autotune at all, but I'm guessing you've got the difficulty set pretty high so it doesn't over-correct, and you're not hitting the low rpm-high load or very high rpm portions of the graph enough for them to get properly tuned.

I found this picture, someone had named "AutoVEOnly" before they saved it, and I think it highlights what you're up against:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AutoVEOnly.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	3550

The primary part of the fuel map is tuned well. The hard to hit areas and just outside of the primary part of the map are not tuned and have not been touched. You should be able to open the VE map and make some conservative extrapolation to those outer cells that will greatly improve your tune when you are right on the edge of the "tuned" portion of the map.

Example: For each row of pressure increase at a given rpm this guy needs <10 extra fuel. At 3200rpms toward the upper part of the "tuned" section the colum reads: 78, 80, 87, 125. So if he ever does touch on that 220kpa row (say a cooler day when the turbo is spooling quicker than normal), the car is going to go super rich. He should change that 220kpa row in the 3200rpm column to something like 100. That's still SUPER conservative, but much more in line with what you would expect the "tuned" value for that cell to be.

If you want to email me your tune again, or post a screenshot of the VE table I'll look over it and make some suggestions.
    Scott
    2000 SE Miata ♦ 6sp, MS3X, GTX2860 @ 20psi, E85
    2005 Civic Hybrid ♦ 5sp

6. Thanks Agent☣Orange thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that's exactly what auto tune is doing. I believe one of the reasons is that the engine doesn't stay at those particular points long enough to make changes. I'll send you a log and tune. Whatever you think should be done is better than what I'd do.

I should get the car weighed. VR says it weighs 2350. Everything else I see it's 2450.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

The difference between stock and performance rods:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58378856_10219887909814776_3953266458208763904_n.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	3551

Im sure Whiprsnapr has a collection of mangled rods.

Cars get a little heavier as they age mostly from road grime collected over the years on the undercarriage, voids in fenders and rocker panels, and under the hood.
    Last edited by minuteman048; 04-29-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Drives
    Lil’ red Corvette
    Post Thanks / Like

Do rods that thick lower the max rpm?

✨ Senior Gearhead 3K+ SmileyFace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Agent☣Orange View Post
    Do rods that thick lower the max rpm?
    I would think the opposite as the rods could stand higher revs(within reason), and more aggressive tune
    Mario E Ordonez
    SmileyFace is a 2014 MX-5 Miata NC dressed in Black Mica and Coco cinnamon leather seats.

🛠 Tool wench 500+ kung fu jesus's Avatar
    Drives
    '99 Miata
    Post Thanks / Like

Those Manley rods are forged and lighter than stock cast rods. They will handle more force and RPMs before they pretzel or break.