Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  65
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 26 of 119 FirstFirst ... 611162122232425262728293031364146515661667176 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do with your Miata today?

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

What did you do with your Miata today?

Quote Originally Posted by YellowYata
    Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048
    Did you take any photos of your old boots White Knight? I wanna see the rot! Yes, it is much, much better after changing those parts out. I'm amazed at some people's Miatas whose shifters are as loose as a bus and all it takes is a little inexpensive maintenance to feel like a tight new sports car again.
    Did not take any pictures but I can still fish the rotted parts out of garbage can and take a few photos. The fiberglass insulation had soaked up more oil than the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. The plastic bushing that was on the lower ball of the shifter was completely absent. Looks like parts were replaced once before and the bushing was omitted hence the sloppy shifting. The rubber upper and lower boots were dreadful. Did notice the NA and NB's are different and use some extra parts. All in all a successful worthwild maintenance project.
    Yes, please if it's not too much trouble, let's see what you were up against. I never thought about how the carpet batting could be oil soaked but that's a good observation. I want to start a thread called "Show your worn shifter" or something and document different shifters at different mileages. Perhaps, I'll just expand the thread with Joe's worn shifter.

So, yes folks, I humbly request you take pictures whenever possible so we can see what you're doing. Words just don't have the same effect.

I cannot believe the lower bushing was completely missing on that one! Must have been horrible! Hard to imagine anyone driving around like that thinking it's normal and then trying it out with a new bushing. Good job MM.
    I had a good teacher watching you do it on Joe's car.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

:huh :huh wowww...

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman048
    Did you take any photos of your old boots White Knight? I wanna see the rot! Yes, it is much, much better after changing those parts out. I'm amazed at some people's Miatas whose shifters are as loose as a bus and all it takes is a little inexpensive maintenance to feel like a tight new sports car again.
    Hey I took pictures of White Knights boots and other parts. Waiting for your comments.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

From me personally? Not at home rt. now. Only phone. Rather wait til home to wriite better, longer response.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I pulled out my blower fan and found out what all the racket was:

Even more fell on the carpet and more was stuck in the vent to the wiper cowl up above (no pict):

Checked out the heater core as well and got the vacuum in there:

All this had to come from the previous owner. Can't wait to see what's there when I pull the fenders off. Eyes
    I read of a procedure for replacing your heater core without having to pull the dash. I'll try to find it.

Post Thanks / Like

The starter button is just a silly thing little add-on the change things up a bit. In terms of wiring, you're just intercepting the ignition wire and putting this switch into it. You still have to have the key in and turn to on in order to work, especially for Miatas with immobilizers.

There are ways aroud that if you want a purely keyless ingnition meaning you have to put your key's chip right on the sensor in the ring and then wire another switch to turn the ignition on before pressing the start button. All this is great but then there's the risk of just anyone stealing your car.

Oh, congrats on Gearhead status! (this was your hundredth post)
    Thanks Yata. I see that MM took pictures - I still had oil in mine, but we drained it and I put new tranny oil in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MMMX5
    see, thats what I was thinking , all seems well
    till the wrenches start swinging

nothing like a preventative maintainance party...

so where ya get the parts and what kinda price is it...?
    . Bow
    I paid $123.00 with delivery for bushing kit, both boots, and insulation from Rosenthal Mazda.

Those boots are truly rotted and disgusting. Wow! And I can't believe you didn't have a lower bushing! That must have felt like a loose truck. Thanks to MM for taking photos. For anyone else doing this, please take some picts while you're at it, especially with the boots still in the car and we'll put them in our shifter photo thread.

About the heater core. I'm not aware of any procedure to change it without removing the dash but I suppose it could be done. There is a retaining bolt on the very top and hardly no wiggle room so I don't know how it would be done with the dash in and I suppose if you did, you'd probably wish you had removed the dash anyway. Actually, the dash wouldn't have to come completey out as it can just be unbolted and pulled up out of the way a little.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I found the procedure but there are no photos. Here it is:

http://s15.zetaboards.com/GearheadsM...opic/7112490/1

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, I copied it too the reference section.