Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  65
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 21 of 119 FirstFirst ... 6111617181920212223242526313641465156616671 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do with your Miata today?

What did you do with your Miata today?

You should see how close the forum came to having a yellow Miata banner and yellow theme. ;) Too many green meanies though. Gotta recruit some yellow Miatas next.

Anyway, since the thread is about what you've done to your Miata today, I thought I'd post my door bar progress so far. That means, I set out on one project but get involved in another that must be finished first. Add to that, I stop to photograph everything for upcoming How To's (like my sound damper and dash removl projects) and it takes even longer.

In this case, before I do the driver door bar, I have to install sound damper. Can't really do that effectively with the carpet in the way, especially by the pedals. So, out comes the dash (along with shifter and brake handle). Well since the dash is out, it's a good time to do the wiring I've been needing to do such as lights and switches.

I try to plan things so that when I'm doing one thing, I may as well do another since I have all the parts out.

If you ever have to replace your heater core, this is what you're up against so you might as well have some new shift boots and bushing ready while you're at it:

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

You are the Dr. Frankenstein of the Gearheads! :wtf :wtf :wtf :wtf

So where's Igor? Or should I say, I-gor"

You've had that thing apart so many times I'm surprised the fasteners are not worn out, espeically the plastic ones.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MMMX5
    but the wht (blu stripe) reminds me of Hannible Lector :wtf
    Nice one! You have a lot of imagination... And it really looks like Hannible Lector :-)

Post Thanks / Like

:huh :huh what are you doing Yellow?? Tell us more...

That side mount I've on the right side console is a Kuda mount, I bought it to install my Harman Kardon drive & play :)

Oh that's right, your stereo stuff. Forgot.

Well now with the dash out the list is:

Remove carpet and do thorough sound and heat barrier in the tub, especially driver side

Run new speaker wires to doors via door connector now that I can get to them

Run new antenna cable

Run new wiring to trunk for rear view camera, rear fog light and rear Lidar scrambler

Wire new switches on dash and center console (similar to Tristan's dual seat heater switch wiring)

3M DiNOC carbon fiber wrap on radio and shifter bezels

Run radar-detector speaker to between seats

Install radar detector modules inside dash and LED to instrument cluster

Install start button in hazzard light location, rewire hazzard lights wiring to new, relocated switch

Install Parrot bluetooth handscfree kit

Reroute PowerCards

Install center comsole lights (Like Tristan's)

Install LED footwell lights

Install glovebox LED light and switch

Remove factory Blows amps that I couldn't get to before

Install white faces and chrome rings on HVAC unit and install LED bulbs (lube and adjust cables)

...all I can think of for now. :facepalm

Post Thanks / Like

OMG!! you are my heroe :huh :huh :huh

Let's pickup some popcorns... this is going to be interesting Popcorn

By the way have you thought about this for the glovebox (that's on my list too);

Post Thanks / Like

What's that Black box you have on your right side dash (behind the none install glovebox)?

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That's quite a "to-do" list yellow! I think that would take me a month to complete all that!

Jester, tell me about it! Might as well do it now though...kinda committed now.

Tristan, the black box is an HD radio tuner. It plugs into my 7" navigation unit for high definition radio reception. Kind of archaic now because the latest NAV stereos have the HD tuner built in.

The glovebox lighting photos you posted are what I was thinking except your picts are old school. There's no way I'm going to drill holes and install LED bulbs like that, especially when I have to remove the glove box once in a while, I don't want to have to cut the wiring to the lights.

Nowadays, I use LED strips and they have the latest and brighter SMD LED bulbs and 3M tape on the back to make installation super simple. You can usually get a two-strip pack and use one for the glove box and other for a trunk light. I mount mine on the HVAC ducting above the glove box. Just remove the glove box and look up and you'll see how easy it is.

The light is actually bright white, not blue as in the picture because the camera has a hard time photographing LED lighting correctly. Keep in mind the dash is sitting upside down on a table with the glove box removed.

The best part of the LED package is that the "test" switch is what I use for the plunger switch on the glove box. When the box is opened, the plunger releases and the light turns on and vice versa when the box is closed. Here you can see where I already installed a plunger switch before. There's a bracket behind the glove box that is already perfectly placed and even has holes in it to mount the switch.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice... very interesting, will see, if my Chinese website has those LED's.

12V Flexible Cuttable LED Tape (1M 60-LED White) 15,99USD (free shipping).