Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  65
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 18 of 119 FirstFirst ... 381314151617181920212223283338434853586368118 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do with your Miata today?

Post Thanks / Like

What did you do with your Miata today?

Nice Jester!! The new O2 sensor looks very good.

Thanks all. It's a labor a love but a labor nonetheless. Can't finish one job until I finish another and I can't rest 'til it's perfect.

J, how'd you go from a one-wire to a four-wire sensor? I mean, how are you wiring it?

Got the wiring done on the sub amp and cleaned things up to start laying down some sound damper and heat insulation:

A couple different views of the amps. They are actually exactly level but the camera lens makes them look crooked a little. I'll stop with the amp photos for now as I'm going to do a stereo install thread later.

After wiring, I put the plastic side covers on:

Alpine PDX-F6 4-channel on passenger side:

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

What are you guys going to do if you ever finish all your projects? I shudder to think of it. What will be your purpose? Where will all this energy be directed? You guys will self distruct.

What will the future bring?
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

:rotf

You actually think a Miata is ever done?!?!

Besides, I'm tired of having all this stuff on the shelves for so long and never installed...

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YellowYata

J, how'd you go from a one-wire to a four-wire sensor? I mean, how are you wiring it?
    I hooked up one and then I just let three wires dangle...

Just kidding.

One wire is the sensor wire (existing), one is a 12v power wire (for the heater in the o2 sensor), the other two are grounds.

Yellow, are the round openings above the carpet (above the amps) stock speaker cut-outs?

That's what I thought but didn't know what you meant by a one-wire sensor. Your stock one was only one wire? Just trying to understand.

Yes, that is a custom, fiberglass parcel shelf replacement designed to hold two rear speakers. Still have to get those in but even the door speakers themselves sound really great! Still have to Dynamat the doors now that I'm thinking of it. :(

It never ends...

Getting ready for sound damper install. This is gonna hurt... :waa :sweatin

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, just the 90-93's had a single wire o2. Just a sensor wire.

The problem is that they take a while to heat up...and have to be heated (from the exhaust heat) to a minimum of 662 degrees before they produce an output signal. They need to be in the 900-1200 degree range to function optimally.

I noticed a marked difference in the behavior of my car after the install....I should have done it sooner!!

This (below) is cut and pasted from a link I found on the FFS forum:

"This means that at times of low engine output such as idling and low power acceleration the sensor's temperature can drop out of the optimal range, and even below the functional range--this results in the ECU thinking that the engine is running lean.? The ECU then compensates for what it thinks is a lean mixture by making the air/fuel mixture richer (more fuel) to what is really an overly rich mix; causing bogging and at times an actual "flame out" as the over-rich mixture won't ignite.

Heated (4-Wire) O2 sensors overcome this problem by including a 12V electric heating element (#8 in this diagram) within the sensor.? These heating elements (typically 25W or so) keep the sensor heated to 1100?F or and therefore smack in the middle of it's optimal operating range."

Yellow - is that a custom speaker box you made, or did you get it somewhere?

Box? Are you referring to the speaker holes in the parcel shelf again?

Thanks for the great explanation about the O2 sensor. I'm used to the four-wire NB version. So, you basically spliced the sensor wire going back to the ECU then added a 12V power source to the other wire and then ground the last two?

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YellowYata
    Box? Are you referring to the speaker holes in the parcel shelf again?

Thanks for the great explanation about the O2 sensor. I'm used to the four-wire NB version. So, you basically spliced the sensor wire going back to the ECU then added a 12V power source to the other wire and then ground the last two?
    Yes, referring to those holes in the parcel shelf.

Yep, that's how I wired the new sensor. Its kind of crazy to learn how bad those single wire o2 sensors are...add to the fact it was probably not working well anyways, and it's no wonder my car is running so much better now! It'd make you sick to see the install though, because it is pretty sloppy....but I didn't have any wire loom, so that will have to wait a little while until I can clean it up.