Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  65
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 16 of 119 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021263136414651566166116 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do with your Miata today?

⚙ Gearhead 1K+
    Post Thanks / Like

What did you do with your Miata today?

Tristan....the interior is looking great!!

2001SE - I have the FM 2 suspension, I love it! It dropped my ride height about an inch. Next time we are together, you can drive my car as well, to see if you like it. The "before and after" experience going from my tired stock setup resulted in a HUGE improvement! I had a ton of body roll on the autocross course before, and it is very solid now.

I have it set on a fairly stiff setting, because I don't care as much about the ride quality....but we could try a few different settings for you to experience.

If I had it to do over again, I'd go with something like minuteman has...mainly because of the adjustable ride height. I love his ride height, and wish mine was a tad lower. As far as handling goes...his is better too...but I'm still pretty darn happy with the FM2 setup.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I might want to add that Jesters suspension was the first project the club worked on. We all just met each other back then and I have to hand it to him that he put a lot of faith in his new friends to work on his car.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's
    Good Judgement Comes From Experience
    Experience Comes From Bad Judgement

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jester~
    If I had it to do over again, I'd go with something like minuteman has...mainly because of the adjustable ride height. I love his ride height, and wish mine was a tad lower. As far as handling goes...his is better too...but I'm still pretty darn happy with the FM2 setup.

That speaks loud and clear to me!

1st: Thanks for all the input from those who have posted so far
    2nd: I think Jester said two things that grabbed me most:
    a) He wished the FM-2 was "a tad" lower
    b) If he were to do it over he might have gone a different way

Now minuteman has me not sleeping: "replace the control arms", egad that would suck! (I know, that's the worst case scenario)

Soooooo....
    I think what I will do is to continue a bit of homework, take you up on your offers for a test ride (thanks for the offers) and plan to do the upgrade in a few weeks at my place. I will get all the parts needed and finish setting up my "shop" for the job. I will take a shot at it myself and perhaps anyone who has done this before would consider a road trip to Cape Coral to supervise. Perhaps after one of the Dawn Patrols, or any other Saturday.

December is such a busy month for everyone so I guess that's out.

I am no where near as well set up as Jack but there is air and a few air tools, workbench vise, ample garage space, basic or slightly above basic hand tools (Lowes and Sears are 10 minutes away if needed) power, lights, etc.

My thoughts are that if anything should not go as planned, the car (and I for that matter) are not stuck at Jack's while I develope a "Plan B"
    I can do most all of the tear down and get everything as ready as possible myself beforehand and under the watchful eye (and hands) of some experienced people, it would be an easy wrap up.

It's a bit early in the relationship for me to be asking for a favor like this so if I am overstepping, just tell me.
    I have torn stuff apart before in life with much less idea how it goes back together so what the heck.

It's so nice to have a second car!
    2000: 01+ Mani, FM VMaxx XXtreme Sport, NRG 330mm Wheel, S-Drives, R-Speed Lip, HDHCHT Rollbar, Big ass airhorns

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

I know Joe would appreciate the reduced commute from Naples. Cape Coral is located between our northern and southern members so maybe some of those southern guys will show up. They have been strangely queit lately.
    99 Emerald Mica, 01 Header, Ground Control Springs w/Bilstein HDs. Thompson CAI, High Flow cat w/Borla Exhaust, Fab9 COP's

Post Thanks / Like

I guess at this point, I should move over to the Suspension And Bracing area and pick it up there.
    Thanks!
    TW
    2000: 01+ Mani, FM VMaxx XXtreme Sport, NRG 330mm Wheel, S-Drives, R-Speed Lip, HDHCHT Rollbar, Big ass airhorns

I'm working on the other door bar along with sound/heat barrier in the driver side. The more I get into this, the more I see other things I need to do. :(

Post Thanks / Like

YellowYata - What are you using for sound/heat barrier on yor doors?

I don't use a heat barrier in the doors but a vibration barrier instead such as Dynamat and even double layer that in the door speaker area.

There are three different barriers I use in a Miata: heat, vibration and sound (a higher frequency version of vibration). Some products will block one or all three problems but because of cost and weight, it's better to apply a specific barrier where it's needed most.

For example, the driver-side tub benefits from heat and vibration barriers more than the doors because the exhaust and transmission heat are concentrated in that area. I'm going to do a general write up on the use of barriers in the Miata soon.

Drives
    1999 MX5
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YellowYata
    . I'm going to do a general write up on the use of barriers in the Miata soon.
    And there was much rejoicing! Yeahhhh

(From Monty Python and the Holy Grail when Sir Robin ate his Minstrels)

How do you mean?