Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Some things I've been working on

Post Thanks / Like

Some things I've been working on

I haven't been very active here (or on any forums) in quite a while. I've got a lot of projects, and other things going on in my life. Started a new job in March, working on a complete renovation of the house, rebuilding the Miata engine after some local fuel did some damage at the Dragon Hillclimb, etc.

One thing I have been working on outside of personal projects are some new events. I've become involved in a group called Backroads of Appalachia (look us up on FB and IG). We are a 501c3 nonprofit, and we trademarked a few roads and routes, and put on lots of events. I think I mentioned the tarmac rallies in another post.

In September, we also did a "test run" on a new Miata event called Mazdas on the Mountain. Everyone loved it and the area, event though we were dealing with some significant C19 related restrictions. We'll be working on getting that up and going for 2021, soon.

The biggest thing (for me) is I'm working with SCCA National to put on the first ever National level SCCA hillclimb event. It will take place in May, about 10 miles from the Cumberland Gap. We already have so much interest that we will likely have a wait list. We have reserved the entire resort, park and all facilities at Pine Mountain Resort Park. Gridlife plans to bring their 3 fastest cars, plus some exhibition drift cars. The ACR Viper that won the Time Trial Nationals plans to attend, as well as George Bowland (owner of the fastest hillclimb car in the US) and Mark Aubele (the fastest street hillclimb car in the US). If C19 restrictions allow, we plan on having up to 3,000 spectators. Pretty excited. The course https://youtu.be/qcjcQ5-UFOI

Playing on the popularity of the tarmac rallies and the hillclimb with goverment authorities in the region, we are also working on an event for October in Norton VA, we're planning to call Touge Revival. This will not not only be a mountian driving event and "classic" Japanese car show, we hope to be able to include a hillclimb and touge chase event on a mountain within the city limits. https://goo.gl/maps/2HVfmA53ordwccsv5

So, I'm pretty excited about this stuff. We also have Porsche, Corvette, Slingshot and other brand specific events planned with those clubs, plus a couple of weekend events with large car groups out of Nashville and Cincinnati. All the proceeds go to local charities, including a recovery house we're building with grant support.

Hope to see you all in 2021!
    Brad
    '93 (Red no more). 15x10, Xida CS, Torsen, Carbotech, Racing Beat, Enthuza, Rotrex C30-74, Precision FMIC, Tial, Skunk2, Haltech, Momo, Hard Dog, LanceSpeed, Blackbird Fabworx, etc.

2. Likes Jaysz28 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some things I've been working on

Sounds like you're busy. What sort of damage did the bad gas do. Burn a piston or valve? Would that show at all on an afr gauge, or is it all knock related. I worry about this a lot. Living in a rural area, I really question the integrity of the 93 octane. Having FI makes it so much more important.
    2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Morreale View Post
    Sounds like you're busy. What sort of damage did the bad gas do. Burn a piston or valve? Would that show at all on an afr gauge, or is it all knock related. I worry about this a lot. Living in a rural area, I really question the integrity of the 93 octane. Having FI makes it so much more important.
    It burned all four pistons. Custom CP pistons. Looking for a replacement that's more budget friendly.
    '93 (Red no more). 15x10, Xida CS, Torsen, Carbotech, Racing Beat, Enthuza, Rotrex C30-74, Precision FMIC, Tial, Skunk2, Haltech, Momo, Hard Dog, LanceSpeed, Blackbird Fabworx, etc.

Drives
    A cat herd
    Post Thanks / Like

Brad, good to see you again. Merry Christmas!

complete renovation of a house is a full-time job plus overtime and never enough money.

Post Thanks / Like

2001 SE British Racing Green - FM frame rails - FM solid sway bar - FM clutch- Mishimoto 53mm radiator - Bilsteins -
    Complete MK Turbo kit with intercooler - 3'' custom exhaust - Custom door panels - Custom "shorty" console